Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Honda CB350 Racers Promotion
 Lost opportunities

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: Bold Italicized Underline Strikethrough Superscript Subscript Align Left Centered Align Right Horizontal Rule Insert Hyperlink Insert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
john Posted - 28 Jun 2011 : 09:24:58 AM
Some of you will remember the attempts we made to get CB350 honda racers to work together to build racer numbers.
From what I saw people argued from the point of view of self interest and could not agree to some sort of stock bike that could be easily built and raced against others.

I ask again, can you achieve something the Classic 350 / 500 and sidecar blokes did, work together to build competitor numbers. Can you create a sub class within Post Classic 350 that has heaps of 350 hondas racing to some sort of formlea that works .
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Allan Posted - 06 Dec 2011 : 10:23:35 AM
Hey Alan when u were with DOD did u play with any

"Analogic 2020
Polynomial Waveform Signal Generator"

got one, but needs a "math's nut" to work it hi
ps better than rubbing ur l/ balls
conker Posted - 06 Dec 2011 : 08:40:46 AM
anyone for an exciting game of lawn bowls ?
David Posted - 04 Dec 2011 : 07:49:24 AM
Hey Racer7, this could be a lost opportunity, have you tried on eBay: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=honda+sl+350+frame

2 Days to go: SL 350, 1971, Honda, Frame, 1969-1971

Buy now: 70 Honda SL 350 Frame UT1

Another buy now: Honda SL 350 SL350 frame engine chasis frames motor

And seeing if they will ship to Australia which could work out to be the right price.
racer7 Posted - 03 Dec 2011 : 11:31:51 AM
So .... a fellow 350 Honda racer, has had his SL350 high-sided by a 'Come n try' guy, who really knew what he was doing. Allegedly. He said.
On his second lap!
The frame is bent, and without references, our local 'Mr Everything with Metal' cannot straighten it. So he'd like another frame. Many requests around the Country, including Wreckers have come up with nix/ nothing. Any of our 350 guys have one? There are complete bikes in trade magazines, but he wants a frame. Hopefully, it'll just be unbolt the good stuff from the wreck, and bolt it on to the 'new' one?
PM me or email, tied777ATwestnet.com.au It'll need shipping to North Queensland too! Just to complicate matters!
Thanks for looking
racer7
john Posted - 16 Nov 2011 : 07:49:16 AM
I dont see them as enemies Al.
But have a try with those classes anyway.
conker Posted - 16 Nov 2011 : 02:38:33 AM
The best way to fix the enemies is to not create them in the first place. Once you've got them in the club, you must live with them. You of all people. should know that, John.
john Posted - 10 Nov 2011 : 10:05:41 AM
Best way to fix the enemies is to show them up.
conker Posted - 09 Nov 2011 : 7:34:57 PM
After we ran the 2003 championships, it is unlikely that I could ever get Winton to run another historic bike event. There are now too many enemies in the camp. Perhaps in five years time,if I'm still alive, and when we have our MX side really viable. I'd love to run a cross period OZ CLASSIC TT, GP, and Superbike Championship. I'll keep it in mind.
OldKwak Posted - 09 Nov 2011 : 12:43:03 PM
here here
john Posted - 08 Nov 2011 : 10:20:21 PM
Al, maybe get the winton mcc to try and event like that.
If it works I imagaine everybody will copy it.
conker Posted - 08 Nov 2011 : 9:05:12 PM
There are only four types of racing bikes:

GP bikes -two strokes, and small multis.
Thunderbikes - aircooled four stroke singles and twins.
Superbikes
Sidecars.

How about running them in their own capacity classes without regard for year of manufacture ? Feature races on that basis now and then could be very pleasant ! The log books would keep them authentic, and if you choose to race an early bike, at least the technology would be the same !
Jerry Posted - 06 Nov 2011 : 10:55:47 AM
Now you are talking John! There is no time like the present and guess where Iam. Work of course to keep my show on the road. I am very appreciative of all of YOU people and of course my darling wife and young daughters that I can continue to feed my sickness which is of course M/Cycle racing and we all know that Quote of Steve McQueen. All the best Jerry
john Posted - 06 Nov 2011 : 10:40:49 AM
Its amazing what good information can do to a conversation.
I was always surprised to read that CB350 were impossible to find.
Anyway, after my earlier dummy spit I am still keen to enthuse people to get involved.
Just do it!
Jerry Posted - 06 Nov 2011 : 08:49:52 AM
Dear Racer 7, You should leave your TD2 friend out of it. Racing is about yourself and the improvements you can make to yourself and your chosen machinery. As for Honda I promise you that it isnt brand name that I am aligned to. I like good basic engineering and tuning or re engineering potential. The early Hondas including the CB350 have that in spades. It is all up to you young feller as to what you do and achieve for yourself.Lok at the PI Island Classic lap records sometime and check the differences in Lap times between 2 stroke and 4 stroke. I dont think there are many excuses for any of us. All the best Jerry
john feakes Posted - 06 Nov 2011 : 08:34:57 AM
Words of wisdom Jerry.
I had a look on world ebay and there are, as you say, quite a few bikes for sale and numerous parts, mainly in the U.S.A. The prices seem very reasonable.
Shipping is not a problem, but would add around $1,000 depending on where the bike was located. California being the best starting point.
There are numerous race parts available for these bikes, check out Hales Honda for a start.
I reckon it would be possible to get a starter bike on track for about $6,000.
racer7 Posted - 06 Nov 2011 : 08:07:59 AM
Hi to all those on this Forum subject. Thanks for your words of encouragement Jerry. Trouble is my 'friend' is on a TD2! He smiles sympathetically as I relate my latest engine mods in my efforts! I think I hate him It is attributed to Mike Hailwood, on being questioned on the ability/ possibility of remaining competitive against the Factory Yamahas ...."probably add another two cyclinders .... that's what Honda does, doesn't it?" At that stage he was on the glorious 6 cylinder RC174 But ... I have fun, and remain committed to the Honda cause! My old School Teacher normally commented on my end of year report "He appears to be a slow learner"
To remain on subject, any Barn Finds out there waiting to be found for a CB350 Class?
racer7
john Posted - 05 Nov 2011 : 12:45:31 PM
Thanks fellas for the comments. In particular to jerry for pointing out that his success comes from working at it. Racer 7, my view of racing is to try and beat a friend rather than win a race. That way I can enjoy what ever position I am placed in.
Allan Posted - 05 Nov 2011 : 08:50:19 AM

racer7
Guess I'll just keep plodding around at the back and get used to being lapped every 4 laps at the Creek!

just up the pace a little (just break a bit later) so its every 5 laps then aim every 6 laps snd sh*t iam on the same lsp ..easy wernt it!!
Jerry Posted - 05 Nov 2011 : 08:49:54 AM
Dear People, I often read with fascination about the problems of affordability regarding race bikes. I am one of those people who could not afford. I therefore taught myself wheel building, frame making, fuel tank and seat making in alloy. I could not afford TIG and I taught myself to weld alloy with the torch. I could not afford to get porting done so I taught myself. I learnt as much about suspension as I could and the same about carburation. There is so much information available now on the internet which makes everything so much easier than it used to be. Honda CB/CL 350 parts and engines are available on Ebay. Complete engine for US$100.00. Crankshafts and heads US$50. The most expensive part of a race bike is the time to build and as can be imagined my time input has been huge. I cannot see any reason why 4 strokes and 2 strokes cant compete with each other for P3 and P4. Especially the 350 class.With 4 strokes it just takes more thought, work and dedication to play that never ending game of Chess we call racing and remember winning is NOT everything. What IS is improving on what we personally have done before. All the best Jerry
racer7 Posted - 05 Nov 2011 : 07:49:43 AM
I admire the passion of the few, but agree that racing a CB350, which no matter how much you spend, will never be competitive against factory produced dedicated race bikes. Read Yamaha TR2 etc. It didn't work in the late 60's, and didn't work in the early 70's. Due to the History of Motorcycles, the early/ mid 60's, two-strokes were NOT the machine to have! CB350's perhaps should be moved to P3, then 4-strokes would race against 4-strokes. But then how much would it cost to be competitive against one of 'Jerry's' pieces of magnificent engineering? But then I'm never going to be a 'Gun' rider either, so .......
Guess I'll just keep plodding around at the back and get used to being lapped every 4 laps at the Creek!
racer7
john feakes Posted - 17 Oct 2011 : 09:51:08 AM
Ben, welcome back.
I think that one of the great problems we face is that by the time a bike model is
old enough to be considered historic it has also become a rarity.
Seriously, to try to promote a one model class of 40 year old bikes will always be an uphill struggle.
If we relaxed our rules somewhat and weren't so obsessed with year of manufacture we might see an increase in participation.
I truly believe that the technology is far more important than the year of manufacture and that with some sensible technical requirements we could encourage more replica bikes utilising out of period engines.
I'll duck for cover now.
Ben Posted - 13 Oct 2011 : 1:56:58 PM
Hi All!!!!!

Saw my name mentioned above and thought I should chime in and also add that I am looking forward to the Southern Classic! As a spectator.... Has been a while, I have been diligently trying to build myself a shed to get my bike back on the track (can't maintain a race bike out in the open eh....).... getting there and really looking forward to getting the saga back out there again sometime soon.

RE: getting a stock class up and running, without question the CB350 is way out of this area now. I believe when I bought my CB as an old race bike I may well have been on the cusp for a rapid escalation in the perceived value of old bikes. Glad I bought it then, I could not replce it now that is for sure.

I would suggest that rather than focussing on a particular type of bike (that remains static in time and therefore either becomes rarer/more expensive or people just don't want to race them), a particular "age " of bike be used. Not period, just age; meaning that the class moves with time, creating new opportunities for new bikes on a annual basis.

Fact of the matter is that building a classic racer, that hangs together and is safe, let alone quick, for P3 or P4 is insanely expensive now if we are honest about it (mmmm why my bike is not yet back on the track chasing Glenn and Mick around) We need a solution that is not dependent on a year based system, that provides for new machines to be eligible regularly.

E.g. something like the "20 year class", based on the current year, not a set period.....??
john Posted - 01 Oct 2011 : 08:19:17 AM
I have been talking with peoiple who were interested in CB350, but saw the improvements made and panicked. I explained just start and have a go.
They are repelled by the improvements they say. Now, I assume that is the truth, because I also know that others will not race unless they think they can win.

So there are many forces out there.
conker Posted - 01 Oct 2011 : 08:13:02 AM
John
' Vic Historic Management Committee is working on P5 up to 500cc to draw new racers into the sport.'

Up to 500cc cross-period thunderbikes, and you've got the makings of an Australian Classic Senior TT ! - Aircooled fourstroke singles, twins and triples - no two strokes, small multis, or superbikes ! The year of manufacture is not relevent !
conker Posted - 01 Oct 2011 : 06:44:40 AM
John,
I watched a two stroke race at one of your meetings at Bradford with both period 4 and Period 5 machines in it. It was really great ! If you can get it right once , why not extend the idea ?
conker Posted - 01 Oct 2011 : 06:41:06 AM
I believe you guys have a phobia about broad banding historic periods - you are stuck in a rut ! !
I cannot think of any 350cc or 500cc fourstroke single or twin, that's around second hand in the numbers needed, to make it worth starting an historic class specifically for them ! Two cross-period classes based on capacity for any four stroke singles and twins, would be a much better option. Then we'd have real races which actually sound right ?
conker Posted - 30 Sep 2011 : 9:52:58 PM
Why did this discussion happen ?
GD66 Posted - 30 Sep 2011 : 9:18:13 PM
Believe it all you like, John. Bike racers will grab stuff like that when it comes up, as a CB350 WAS one of the most cost-effective classic racers you could produce, BUT NO LONGER !
When was the last P4 350 Honda racer trotted out in your neck of the woods ? Ben Fahey's bike, and that was 2004 : there have been two produced since in Queensland. I am done arguing with you on this point. Later P5 and P6 bigbore bikes are easier to find, and cheaper to race-prepare. Move on.
Or better still, get a K4 onto the track...
Won't be happening.
Thank you, and good night.
john Posted - 30 Sep 2011 : 07:14:05 AM
Its not an issue.
The 125 blokes have started, now the Vic Historic Management Committee is working on P5 up to 500cc to draw new racers into the sport.
conker Posted - 29 Sep 2011 : 11:05:03 PM
If the CB350 guys have no interest in getting their own race, where does that leave anyone else ?

Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services