Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 General Comments
 Allan Greening - Passed away

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: Bold Italicized Underline Strikethrough Superscript Subscript Align Left Centered Align Right Horizontal Rule Insert Hyperlink Insert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
David Posted - 21 Feb 2013 : 9:54:58 PM
Hello All,

It is with sad news to inform the racing community that Allan Greening (my father) was killed in a head on accident earlier today at Bet Bet in central Victoria.
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
acotrel Posted - 26 Nov 2023 : 06:38:42 AM
Allan Greening was not killed in a road accident. He died while driving his car and caused a road accident.
acotrel Posted - 31 Oct 2023 : 07:10:23 AM
Allan Greening has died, so the party is over ?
acotrel Posted - 14 Oct 2023 : 05:34:27 AM
Died or was killed by politics ?
David Posted - 04 Oct 2023 : 4:41:34 PM
More than likely not...
quote:
Originally posted by acotrel

Do you think Allan Greening would be pleased with that he sees us doing, when he looks down on us ?

It has kinda died the Classic/Post Classic scene..
acotrel Posted - 04 Oct 2023 : 07:00:08 AM
Do you think Allan Greening would be pleased with that he sees us doing, when he looks down on us ?
acotrel Posted - 23 Apr 2022 : 06:27:00 AM
Our world has ended ?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ_zNUmr8fM
acotrel Posted - 16 Dec 2021 : 02:08:28 AM
It is now just ass though Allan Greening had never existed.
acotrel Posted - 14 Dec 2021 : 05:23:37 AM

I wonder why this forum is now totally inactive ? Perhaps it's tone upset people and killed enthusiasm ?
acotrel Posted - 08 Dec 2021 : 03:12:44 AM
When I was at Allan's funeral, I would have liked to have spoken for him. But under the circumstances, I felt that I cuuld not. The guys who really knew him appreciated his sense of humour. He was a very funny man and respected for his ability. It's a pity he had that crash at Bathurst. It really de-tuned him. I knew him in 1958. I don't think he raced again until I sold the Triton 500 back to him in about 1979. He rode my Seeley Commando 850 a few times, and it was great to see how much he enjoyed it. He was an excellent rider. Since he died, I have hardly been able to even look at my bike. While I was growing up, he was always there somewhere in the background.
acotrel Posted - 08 Dec 2021 : 03:01:34 AM
There was a lot of love in Allan Greening. I don't think he would leave any stray cat out in the cold. That head=-on crash which killed him and injured his boarder, was something he would have avoided like the plague. He was blind in one eye and had about 60% vision in his good eye. I rode pillion with him at extremely high speeds on several occasions. He might have given the impression that he was not scared of dying, but he was always extremely careful with other peoples' lives.
I had been bluing with him as usual and he rang me from nowhere. I almost asked him whether he had been told something by his doctor. But I did not really want to know the answer. He'd been buying Tatt's tickets so he and I could go racing in style.
David Posted - 05 Dec 2021 : 7:01:32 PM
The latest news for Allan is that all the legal stuff is finally over with the TAC and VCAT ruling that his border was just that, a border and not in a relationship with him.

I still miss the old bugger, as do his grand children.
acotrel Posted - 02 Dec 2021 : 06:01:17 AM
Gone - but not forgotten ?
acotrel Posted - 13 Sep 2020 : 7:20:46 PM
David,
I don't think Allan's crash at Skyline had anything to do with having an 'off day'. His father had come back from New Guinea with bullets in him. I don't think he would have survived past the 1940s.
When I got the short stroke 500cc Triton, it was fitted with the pipes from the 1953 Tiger 100 kit. I found it was impossible to get a decent lap time around Calder raceway. The power band was from 5,500 RPM to 10,500 RPM. If you backed-off going into a corner you had to slip the clutch to get the bike accelerating again. %,500 RPM going into Repco corner on Calder with the 4 speed close box is about 70 MPH - so it is impossible to get around without the bike going sideways. Skyline Corner at Bathurst would have been approached with much higher gearing. If Allan had backed off even slightly, he was gone. One you are in the corner you are forced to slip the clutch. The bike desperately needed 6 gears. I raced it in Allpowers C grade and kept up with Z900 and H2 Kawasakis. Most of my crashes were due to drum brakes. When I sold the bike back to Allan it was for the price of one of its 7R drum brakes. I was tired of getting hurt. My Seeley 850 is a totally different deal. After the Triton, it is extremely easy to ride fast. I rode the bike once after Allan had put it back onto petrol and it had decent tyres. It was almost sane, but I still got it sideways. Allan's theories worked too well - the bike was just bl00dy dangerous.
acotrel Posted - 13 Sep 2020 : 3:58:28 PM
Since Allan died, I've had an extremely bad grief thing. We had our argumens but we always understood each other. The other day I actually started working on my Seeley 850

I apologise for not speaking for him at his funeral, but I just could not do that.
acotrel Posted - 13 Sep 2020 : 3:54:14 PM
I first met Allan Greening when I was 18. He had the short stroke Triton 500 in his shed, but he would never race it and I did not know the reason. I think he built it with help from Baldo Meli who worked in the Triumph factory before fleeing to Oz. In 1948, he'd got a 12th on the IOM. The Triton had a GP brake which slightly better than the T110 brake. I bought the bike from Norm Vaughn of the Preston Club after it had been blown up. I had decent 650 motors, but decided to rebuild the short-stroke 500 motor. The first time I raced it, I could not stop it. The brake then heated-up and launched me at aboutv 100 MPH.
When Alan raced at Bathurst, he got to the end of Conrod straight and could not stop. He chose to go left and managed to get around. When he reached Skyline the bike bounced him off the guard rail.
I onlt pieced this story together from what Brian Tupper told me. That Triton was simply dangerous, but I loved it. 'Some things are so bad that they are good'. It taught me to race. Last time I races was in P$ against REx's bikes. I was upfront on two races and in the last, I rode under the 1100cc Hondas at Turn 2 on Winton and was in front then my fuel line came off.
It's a pity that Allan Geening got busted up so much, he was a really great rider.
acotrel Posted - 12 Dec 2017 : 08:50:59 AM
I always thought Allan was an intelligent rat-bag. However of late, I have come to realise that most of his ideas were actually spot-on. I liked his sense of humour but he got us into some horrible fights. It was always exciting going out with him. You never knew what might happen.
acotrel Posted - 12 Dec 2017 : 08:44:25 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Allan's sister passed away. I always liked her, but I cannot remember her name. She was the one who crashed the Morgan sports car into the granite pylon of the railway overpass in Queen's Avenue. I liked Phyllis too, she gave the best Christmas dinner I ever had. I never met his father, he was apparent wounded in WW2 in New Guinea. I only met Allan in about 1958. I don't think his crash was about having an 'off day'. He had all the theories, but the shirt stroke Triumph was bloody dangerous. If you wound it up on a big circuit, it would go and keep on going. He reached the end of ConRod Straight going too fast for the drum front brake, and could not decide whether to take the escape road or turn left into pit straight - he got around. But when he got to Skyline, it must have dropped off the megaphones. The bike chucked him into the Armco fence, probably as it came back on song. I has several similar experiences with that bike before I fitted the two into one exhaust and got a bit of sanity into it. It turned me into an instant dud where I had been a reasonably good rider. I rode the bike after Al had fitted separate straight pipes, good tyres, five speed box and petrol fuel - it wasn't too bad. He was actually an excellent rider despite the fact that he had only one eye. As a kid I used to ride pillion with him - I trusted him implicitly. He was extremely fast and very safe.
I had to laugh - one day my brother and I were at Calder and I gave him the Triumph to ride. He ran off the end of the front straight - could not get it to turn. It was a bloody dangerous piece of sh1t, but it taught me heaps about road racing. My Seeley 850 is a world apart from that Triumph 500.
David Posted - 27 Nov 2017 : 07:36:51 AM
Hi Alan,

quote:

David, I would like to say a few things. First, thank you for sending me one of Allan's old trophies.

Thanks you for the thanks.

quote:

Allan had his Bathurst crash in about 1957, when he broke an arm and a leg at Skyline Corner. The shock of it kept him out of racing for many years.

This was about 12 months after his father passed away in 1956 and could of been part of the reason he was not at his best then.

quote:

I was interested in the comment his sister made at his funeral - that she 'was only there to make sure that he had really gone'. I know the truth of that. I was talking to her outside Phyllis's house many years ago. She had immense admiration for her brother however they were both hard-doers. And Allan would rather have a fight than a feed.

Unfortunately, his sister passed about 12 months later, but they where both hard-doers.

quote:

I severely miss the old bastard, he was a lot of fun.

I still miss the old bugger. Still remember the good and the bad times, but would not change a thing.

We are still going through legal stuff with his room mate trying claim a "spousal benefit" from TAC even though she was claiming rent assistance from the government and dad (Allan) always told me that she was only renting a room from him.
acotrel Posted - 27 Nov 2017 : 05:09:00 AM
David, I would like to say a few things. First, thank you for sending me one of Allan's old trophies. It was won by Rod Scott while he was riding the 500cc short stroke Triton, that I used to race and on which Allan had his Bathurst crash in about 1957, when he broke an arm and a leg at Skyline Corner. The shock of it kept him out of racing for many years. Then I had my turn with the dangerous ****-heap. I was interested in the comment his sister made at his funeral - that she 'was only there to make sure that he had really gone'. I know the truth of that. I was talking to her outside Phyllis's house many years ago. She had immense admiration for her brother however they were both hard-doers. And Allan would rather have a fight than a feed. I severely miss the old bastard, he was a lot of fun.
acotrel Posted - 27 Feb 2014 : 07:01:24 AM
I don't think many people knew what a good rider Allan was. He was Hartwell Clubman of the year in about 1958. He had a crash up un Skyline Corner at Bathurst, broke an arm and leg and didn't race again for about 20 years after. His big claim to fame was that he beat Maurice Quincey around a corner on Fishermans' Bend. The difference was that Maurie got around the corner after Allan beat him and went through the hay bales on his back.
acotrel Posted - 22 Feb 2014 : 08:54:43 AM
It seems like yesterday. I still find myself thinking about giving him a ring about these bl00dy silly motorbikes. Despite the times we got the sh1ts with each other, he was a very good friend.
David Posted - 21 Feb 2014 : 01:41:29 AM
Today marks the 12 months since Allan passed away in a motor vehicle accident. RIP dad
john Posted - 17 Mar 2013 : 3:40:10 PM
David, I have just discovered thsi news. I am sorry to hear and my condolences go to you and the family.
acotrel Posted - 02 Mar 2013 : 06:55:38 AM
If you ever wanted excitement in your life, a night out with Allan, or a trip to a race meeting with him was the way to get it. I will never forget him.
David Posted - 27 Feb 2013 : 09:15:39 AM
I have just confirmed that the time of the service for Allan will be:

4:00pm Friday the 1st March 2013
Neangar Memorial Park Crematorium
5 Victoria Street,
Eaglehawk (Bendigo) 3556

All are welcome to attend.
acotrel Posted - 26 Feb 2013 : 10:47:47 AM
Really sad news David and a bit inconvenient. We had it all set up to win Tattslotto next weekend and we were going to buy an MV Evoluzione for 200,000 Euros and give all the guys in Period 4 a really bad fright .
He was a good friend to me since I was eighteen - I will miss him. He taught me how to enjoy the good things in life, such as dangerous motorcycles.
italianclassics Posted - 24 Feb 2013 : 11:06:39 PM
Very sorry to hear this, my condolences to you and all who loved him.
Steve B
David Posted - 23 Feb 2013 : 2:10:12 PM
Thanks gents. Hopefully we will know more this week as to what happened from the coroner as it looks like Allan had a heart attack (he had a heart in there) as there was no skid marks and the lack of blood in the car or at the scene of the accident.

Here is the news paper report: Man killed in Bet Bet collision
Patrick Posted - 22 Feb 2013 : 5:21:04 PM
Condolences David, may your father rest in peace.
Patrick
Jerry Posted - 22 Feb 2013 : 08:34:53 AM
My deepest sympathies to you David, the rest of the family and his closest friends. He will be missed. Jerry Kooistra

Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services