Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Remember When
 Racing Bantam
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

pomycar
Level 1 Member

South Australia

3 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2006 :  11:25:42 PM  Show Profile Send pomycar a Private Message  

Hi all,
I've joined the site to try to get some info on my historic bike, such as photos, race results or any other details, and would greatly appreciate anything anyone may have.
My bike is a 1950 BSA Bantam D1 (eng # 28003YD)and was owned and raced by Ron "Rusty" Hellyer of Mt. Gambier in the 50's.
I purchased the Bantam over 25 years ago from another Bantam Racer - Charlie May of Casterton at a swap meet in Mt. Gambier. It was set up for dirt track racing with a huge sprocket on the back, larger front wheel without a brake, large home cast head, huge carby and megaphone exhaust. It has competition gearbox and magneto, no lights or instruments and ran on "Shell A" and "Castrol M" at 24:1. I have talked quite a bit with Ron over the years about the bike, but he was never able to find any photos etc of when he raced the bike. Ron unfortunately passed away several weeks ago.
On one trip to his shed he pulled out all the bits for the Bantam that he used for road racing ie. Smaller front wheel with brake, low mount handle bars, front mudguard with supports and 3 different sprockets. He also had a spare undrilled head casting and I was able to purchase all these items. I have not restored the bike but have just cleaned it up for show along with the road racing bits which I hope to display at Macnamara Park next month.
Regards Brian Sweet

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services