Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Eligibilty Area
 Eligibilty on Motorcycles
 From 1st January 2008 the noise limit will be 96db
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

mboddy
Level 2 Member

Australian Capital Territory

26 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  07:41:46 AM  Show Profile Send mboddy a Private Message  

quote:
2007 manual of Motorcycle Sport
12.10 NOISE EMISSIONS -ALL DISCIPLINES
12.10.1 Specifications
12.10.1.1 Noise emissions must not exceed 102dB(A) unless a lower limit is provided for in SR or in a discipline specific chapter of these Rules.
12.10.1.2 Rule 12.8.1.1 does not apply to Record Attempts.
12.10.1.3 The noise emission level for Speedway is 98dB(A).
NOTE: From 1st January 2008, the noise emission limit in GCR 12.10.1.1 shall be 96db(A).

12.10.2 Measurement
12.10.2.1 Noise emissions must be measured with a microphone placed 500mm from the exhaust pipe at an angle of approx 45 degrees
measured from the centre line of the exhaust end, and at the height of the exhaust pipe, but at least 200mm above the ground.
Where the height of the exhaust outlet makes this impossible, the microphone should be placed at a 45 degree angle above the outlet. see Figs.
12.10.2.2 The reading shall be taken with engine warmed up, running steadily at the specified revs and with the motorcycle out of gear.
Machines not equipped with a gearbox neutral shall be placed on a stand.
12.10.2.3 The test revs depends on the mean piston speed corresponding to the stroke of the engine according to the table below.
The revs are calculated using the following formula:

N= 300,000 x cm
I
Where N = prescribed revs
cm = fixed mean piston speed in metres per second, and
I = stroke in mm.

Stroke in mm RPM Except Motocross
40 8,250
50 6,600
54 6,111
60 5,500
66 5,000
70 4,714
75 4,400
80 4,125

quote:
ZX6Racer
96! Jeez, that's only a Sparrows fart louder than a new road bike!

quote:
pomstar
At the moment I do not know of many bikes that would pass 102db static.

quote:
ZX6Racer
Surely this does not apply to Historic bikes.

The only thing the MoMS says about Historic bikes is as follows:

quote:
16. HISTORIC ROAD RACING
16.3.3 Noise Control
16.3.3.1 Provided noise emission levels are not exceeded, exhaust systems may operate without silencers.

It seems that only Speedway is allowed more than 96db(A) as it is allowed 98db(A).

Other than that the only other variation appears to be for Motocross and Supercross:

quote:
17.3 NOISE EMISSIONS - MOTOCROSS AND SUPERCROSS
17.3.0.1 Motocross machines must comply with noise emission tests as per GCR 12.10,
however the following table should be substituted for 12.10.2
CAPACITY RPM
Up to 85cc 8,000
85cc to 125cc 7,000
126cc to 250cc 5,000
251cc to 500cc 4,500
Over 500cc 4,000

Edited by - mboddy on 17 Jan 2007 07:53:26 AM

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  6:49:22 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Well this could put the cat amongst the pidgeons. The Island Classic is just around the corner from head office so whats the likelihood of someone having a noise meter down there. I know for a fact if I had entered I would be staying home cos my Suzuki GT750 with chambers will not go down to that level, I struggled with the 102 db. Maybe I should scour Ebay for some stock pipes.
All the above being considered we should not panic until further information is available. Could be interesting for a while though.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

mboddy
Level 2 Member

26 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2007 :  7:30:29 PM  Show Profile Send mboddy a Private Message  

Note that the 96db(A) limit applies in 2008.
That hopefully gives someone time to do something before it is too late.
Who will be that someone and what should they do?
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2007 :  8:43:51 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

oops missed the 2008 bit in your original posting. That is a good question, who will find out more and start the necessary action if in fact it is required. I guess before sheer panic sets in we should all do sound checks on our machines to the guidlines layed down and see how far off we all are, it may not be as bad as it sounds but having been involved in noise surveys through work and finding out what various sound levels are through that experience some people are going to get a shock trying to comply. Still if the regs are designed to help keep race tracks open then we will all have to do what we can.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

mboddy
Level 2 Member

26 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2007 :  9:31:27 PM  Show Profile Send mboddy a Private Message  

My road based two strokes should be pretty easy to quieten. The TDR may already comply.
I'll get myself a sound level meter and see what I can do about the TZ and the FZR.
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2007 :  3:45:00 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

I dont know what the story is in other states but here in WA MWA has noise meters which clubs can use. We will as we have in the past organise a sound measuring day once the details of this new ruling have been fully determined. We will act sooner rather than later so that we will have time to either comply or maybe to have the ruling modified so that we can achieve a reasonable end goal.
I still think 96db @500 mm is going to be quite difficult for most Historics to achieve but we do need to get off our collective butts and find out before its too late to negotiate with MA

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2007 :  3:11:39 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Can someone tell me why we have to make less noise? I am not aware of any of our tracks being in densly populated areas but I am very aware that there are some people out there who seem to take delight in stopping others from having fun. It would seem that some pressure group has got to M.A. complaining about noise and that M.A. has reacted to be seen to be doing something. Unfortunately this amounts to another erosion of our freedom. Bit by bit, nibble by nibble we are having our rights taken away from us. How do we stop this? Any ideas? Cheers, John (Perhaps it is the eleventh commandment....Thou shalt not!)

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  10:09:42 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Well, I am now more confused than I ever was. As of 2/10 I am advised that the issue is up for further discussion at MA level. The EPA site states 102 dB for Speedway (all track racing). I presume that roadracing is considered as track racing. It also states that 100 dB is the maximum for road bikes made before 1/3/85. It seems that we have local councils imposing their own limits on tracks which can be lower than the EPA limits. I have raised this at MV committee level to see if we can organise meetings to try to come to some acceptable agreements which allow for historic bikes that were designed to run unsilenced. They don't exactly appear too often so hopefully a few weekends per year could be acceptable. I think this matter should be raised in each state to try to ensure that we have a future. It is now up to YOU to do your bit in your state. My other gripe with all this is that I fail to see the relevance of noise at 500mm from the exhaust. Surely the only noise level that counts is the noise level at the property boundaries? I will keep you posted AND LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU. Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  3:03:29 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Well guys 'tis almost '08 and the silence has been deafening! Are you all happy to lay back and think of the queen?

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  5:19:51 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

In my meagre knowledge of EPA legislation, the regulations are usually concerned with 'loss of amenity'. In fact in most cases there are no limits set for most forms of pollution. Reallistically, the noise pollution from historic motorcycles is not continuous, and I'd suggest that any complaints from the neighbours near race circuits would be vexatious rather than based in any 'loss of amenity'. In workplaces the threshold limit value for noise is 85 dBA. At that level you have to almost shout to be heard by someone standing 1 metere away! I doubt that any neighbour would ever have noise levels in their homes at anything like the industrial TLV, even if the level at the track was 105 dBA (10 times the limit). I suggest the effects of the noise pollution would be purely to irritate those who would choose to be irritated. I don't believe there is a scientific case to limit the noise from historic bikes to 102 dBA.
I'd point out that there is a local sports ground in Benalla where starting pistols are used e very weekend. The noise level is about 145 dBa (impulse), and it really upsets my dog. Do you believe I should complain?

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  5:23:12 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I'd say one thing extra. There is a large capacity single cylinder two stroke which has appeared at recent historic meetings. The impulse noise is extremely high. That bike would cause a real problem if the EPA guys get to arrive and start measuring. I think the bike is an Ossa (no silencers)

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services