Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Remember When
 Where are they now?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2007 :  10:22:36 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

I had a thought (second one this year!) Where are all the racers of yesteryear? The thought I had was that many of them would not be computer users so maybe we could start a contact list here. My idea being that if any of you know of racers from the past ask them if they would be willing to have their contact details made available so that they are not lost in space. I attend the annual Victorian Racing Motorcyclists Association dinner where many congregate but there must be a lot who either can't attend this function or simply don't know that it is on. What do you think? Who do you know? Come on guys, our sport is like a secret society. Let's come out into the daylight and be seen. Surely you're not all claiming to be teenagers!? I look forward to an overwhelming response. Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2007 :  11:46:11 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

Yesterdays racers are out there and two or three years ago at the Southern Classic we changed the media centre at Broadford [yes its me] into a Vet's Lounge. My wife made up plates of food and we got a few slabs of beer from the catering people and I think it was very popular.
I do not recall why we did not keep this theme going but I will see if we can make all the Vets welcome again this year.
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  09:42:46 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Hi Patrick, I'm glad it's you. I thought it was last year that we had the vet's lounge but it could be just senility setting in. Whenever it was it was good, but only a few turned up. Yes, let's do it again this year (are you reading this John Daley?) The problem is to let as many as possible know what is going on and invite them to attend. Hence my suggestion for a contact list. I can probably find quite a lot through the Veteran Racing Association but help from others would be appreciated. We are lucky to have the Southern Classic and I would like to see it bigger and better for this year. We need to be working on it now. I will let you know how I go. Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  10:31:35 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Come on you lot, where are you? So far I have expressions of interest from 27 riders of the past and my greatest fear is that those I don't contact may feel insulted at being overlooked. I need your help! THINK HARD and post suggested names here please. I will do the work and pay the phone bill. All I ask is that you help me with names in the hope that there are some that I have not thought of. Come on, I know you can do it. Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  11:11:00 AM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Hi John, This is an admirable idea and one that I think should be pursued. Maybe you could list the riders that you have contacted, this may jog the memories of the "younger" guys and give them something to work on.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  3:50:44 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Thanks for your support Alan. The ones I have contacted to date are Tom Abraham, Les Ayton, Brian Beasy, Keith Brown, George Campbell, Gavin Cosway, Alan Cotterel, Mick Hone, Bill Horsman, Ian Isbister, Andrew Johnson, Greg Johnson, Peter Jones, Ed Lauder, Clyde Lindstrom, Robbie Phillis, Rex Porter, Bernie Proughton, Maurie Quincey, Ray Reardon, Bob Rosenthal, Gordon Rumble, Ian Saunders, Bill Sayers, Jim Scaysbrook, Barry Smith, Don Stafford, Doug Sunderland and Rod Tingate. Next on my list are Bert Flood and Bill Petrie. Now I need someone else to come up with more names and, if possible, contact numbers. Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  06:25:22 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

John, Here is a name for you - Steve Oszko was Ron Toomb's main Victorian competition in the early sixties. You might also contact John Carter, he knows a lot of old snoozers like Jeff Curley, Russell King.
I also suggest you should go along to the Ken Blake turn which is held in Melbourne each year, on the 9th June for some reason.

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  06:35:12 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

You might also contact Ray (Strawb) Thompson, Jack & Jim Craig, Don and Phil Barlow if they're still alive. Barry Marshall is still around, Brian Goldie knows where to find him. Craig Bondini and Lindsay, will know where a lot of the old sidecar guys are.

Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  12:43:57 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Thanks Alan, every name helps. Some of those mentioned I will be able to track down easily, some may prove a little harder. Do you have any idea of where Peter Forkes might be? His old phone number doesn't work any more. Come on guys, get your brains into gear. Alan, I do go to the Kenny Blake lunches, it was too early for me as at the time I was concentrating on previous Victorian champions and only thought of the Southern Classic some time after the lunch. Cheers, John P.S. I talked to Bert Flood and Ray Reardon yesterday. We're getting there!

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Edited by - john feakes on 28 Aug 2007 12:59:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  8:53:38 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

John, Jim Scaysbrooks book titled Australia's Motorcycling Heritage has a fairly comprehensive list of riders. I believe he communicated w ith Wes Brown. I don't know if Wes is still alive, he used to be a fount of all knowledge about motorcycling back then. Doug Sunderland was very much involved in running race meetings with Hartwell. People like him and Reg Bennett sort of knew most of the guys. I've seen John Thompson around somewhere, he was big in MV in the sixties.
Both Steve Oszko and Noel Mercer would be worth talking to. They were heavily involved in the late 50s/early 60s, raced at Bathurst, Ballarat Park, Mallala.
Bill Horsman would also be worth a nudge. He was at every race meeting I attended from the mid 50s to the late 60s.
I've just thought of a few more - Alan Osborne, and there is another person who knew a lot of the old riders. He's now the motorcycle chaplain, and turns up to the Island Classic - I remember now - Geoff Glass 9580 4781 . He and his brother did the course marshalling for yonks at every road race meeting. It's a bit of an effort to remember those guys but your posts prompt my memory.

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  8:56:17 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Good luck with your project John. It's a worthwhile exercise.

Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2007 :  8:21:53 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

John, maybe try Cledwyn Davies on 03 5443 3422, he runs that veterans' dinner and should have good access. Also maybe slip an ad in HMRAV newsletter and Hartwell club likewise. Maybe that bike show on channel 31 could slip in an ad or two for you. Good luck, it's a great concept.
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2007 :  08:44:47 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Hi Glenn, thanks for your input. I have a full list of members from Cled but unfortunately all disciplines are together so trying to sort out the road race boys is not so easy. If I had thought of this earlier I would have raised it at the last veterans dinner but at that time I was concentrating on Victorian champions of the past. I am gradually getting there, finding names is one thing but finding phone numbers can be even harder.They don't call me Percy Vere for nothing. Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  09:15:34 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Hi guys I'm happy to report that as at 20/10 I have 52 hands up for the Southern Classic veterans day. Patrick, can you cope?
To any of you I have missed please accept my apologies. Give me a call on (03) 9486 3852 and I will put you on the list.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2007 :  7:44:36 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

Thats great John, good work on getting "the men" together.
We will be so pleased to cater for 100 + vets.
Please make sure they can all get passes and know how to access the car park that we will mark out for them.
If someone can't get a ride up we will be happy to collect from Broadford station and transfer to the circuit.
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2007 :  08:02:53 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Invitations and entry passes have been sent out. Patrick, thankyou for your help, it is appreciated. With regard to the car parking details I will ring the boys to advise what has been arranged when I know the details and we may have to rely on those "on the gate" on the day. So, to all of you, come to Broadford and help us make the Southern Classic the number one historic meeting in the southern hemisphere.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

karl vorderwinkler
Level 1 Member

Queensland

3 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  12:49:07 PM  Show Profile Send karl vorderwinkler a Private Message  

Gday, ok heres some more names from the 60s.
My Dad Reinhard Vorderwinkler(passed away 2005)karl malins,Ron Angel,Bert Flood, Perrot#85 not sure of 1st name sorry, Graeme and Alan Osborne,Bill pound, Barry Smith, Don Mcfarlaine, jim backus. Good on you all for what you are doing !!!!Your all legengs!! If anyone knew my dad or competed with him 1960-1969 mac park, mallala, phillip island,winton,calder,bathurst,ballarat park,darley(bachus marsh)please contact me karlvorderwinkler@hotmail.com, 0414344080.
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  6:29:49 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I saw a letter from Bill Pound in a magazine. Apparently he now lives in California. Arthur Pimm's Vincent was owned by a guy in Geelong a few years ago. He's a redhead with a long neck, and used to turn up regularly to Calder in the 70s. The Vincent was the bike Bill rode and called 'the beast'! Must still be around somewhere!!

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2007 :  6:32:40 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Barry Smith runs a business called 'Sport Art' in the SE suburbs of Melbourne, Pakenham I believe. He's often at the Austin 7 meeting at Winton with a tent selling pictures.

Go to Top of Page

Factory Backed
Level 1 Member

Other Area

7 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2008 :  7:18:30 PM  Show Profile Send Factory Backed a Private Message  

Ray Quincey no longer has the bike shop but is still in Melbourne, Gary Coleman works travelling with Rossi, Warren Willing was with Kenny Roberts team last year don't know what he's doing this year, Graeme Crosby had a Mercedes dealership in NZ last I heard and suffered a mild heart attack recently, Vaughan Coburn runs a business in Sydney, Dennis Neill lives on the Gold Coast as does Dave Robbins and Greg Pretty is in Adelaide having recently given up on being a pilot for REX while Eric and Rob Hinton can be found at any post classic meeting as I'm sure you are all well aware.

I'm sure some of those names will ring some bells.

Oh and of course Bernie Summers is in Brisbane......well according to his profile anyway.

Oops I forgot Rick Walden is flying the Careflight Eurocopter in Sydney.

Edited by - Factory Backed on 12 Mar 2008 10:59:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2008 :  9:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by Factory Backed

Oh and of course Bernie Summers is in Brisbane......well according to his profile anyway.

Yep,
that's where I am.
Along with Ric Dobie, Denny Megalos, (both at Yamaha Qld), Peter Walker (Allbikes - Moss St Slacks Creek), Paul Feeney (MV/Husky importer Gold Coast), Roger Heyes (Startline M/Cs, Moss St, Slacks Creek), Craig Conell at Serco, Capalaba, Rene Bongers is around Brisso too.

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen
Go to Top of Page

Phocks
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

1 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2008 :  10:43:24 AM  Show Profile Send Phocks a Private Message  

Hello All,

New to this site but massive bike fan.

FACTORY BACKED...you mentioned VAUGHAN COBURN was running a business in sydney. He would have to be one of my old time favs. What can I say - I am a ****** for the classics.

I heard he was running Midas in Campbelltown - is that still where he is at??

Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2008 :  11:44:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

Johnny Pace is running a (Bob Jane's ???) tyre store at Browns Plains, Brisburg.
Last I heard Dennis Ireland was running a Bob Jane outlet at Bankstown, Sydney.
Ron Angel??? - Melb outskirts?
Alan Bradshaw is Marketing Manager for Yokohama Australia in Sydney.

Go to Top of Page

Allan
Site Moderator

National

599 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2008 :  1:47:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Allan's Homepage Send Allan a Private Message  

wot hhappened to the Ashman bros and their 8 valve rickman TRIUMPH.. AINT SEEN IT IN YEARS

Allan Greening
Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  11:10:20 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

Ginger was at Broadford!!
If Melbourne kiwis had known another thousand would have been there to see the great man .....
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2008 :  10:34:51 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Yes, Ginger was there, lucky us and Buster back on track. Things are looking up.
Makes me think that there is room for another meeting at Broadford, perhaps the Victorian TT ????? Any interest out there?
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Factory Backed
Level 1 Member

Other Area

7 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  01:03:23 AM  Show Profile Send Factory Backed a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by Phocks

FACTORY BACKED...you mentioned VAUGHAN COBURN was running a business in sydney. He would have to be one of my old time favs. What can I say - I am a ****** for the classics.

Yeah Vaughan still has the Midas at Campbelltown. Yeah he was good alright, and probably a bit under rated.

Hey Bummers you mentioned Dennis Ireland but I thought Stu Avant had the T-Mart at Bankstown, is that no longer the case?

Edited by - Factory Backed on 05 Apr 2008 01:09:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2008 :  9:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by Factory Backed

[quote]Originally posted by Phocks

Hey Bummers you mentioned Dennis Ireland but I thought Stu Avant had the T-Mart at Bankstown, is that no longer the case?

oops yeah - I think you are right.
I wonder where Dennis is?

Bummers

Go to Top of Page

Factory Backed
Level 1 Member

Other Area

7 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2008 :  10:48:49 PM  Show Profile Send Factory Backed a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by Bummers

I wonder where Dennis is?

I believe he runs a trucking business near Dunedin in NZ.

Edited by - Factory Backed on 24 May 2008 3:06:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

MG
Level 1 Member

Queensland

1 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2008 :  11:52:20 PM  Show Profile Send MG a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by Phocks

Hello All,

New to this site but massive bike fan.

These days hes a dead set dropkick. Feel free to confirm for yourself.

Edited by - Allan on 25 Oct 2010 09:26:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2008 :  11:31:27 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

MG, welcome to the site.
However I would like to point out that we do not involve ourselves in character assassination here. Vaughan Coburn was a very good rider...........end of story.
Please try again.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services