Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Promotion of all 125's
 Where are the 125s?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2007 :  09:38:41 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Well, where are they? Certainly not on the starting grid which is where they should be.
I know there are major problems with spares for early Yamahas but perhaps if there was enough interest this could change. What have you got hiding in the back of the shed?
Please, if you've got a lurker, drag it out and give it a run. Cheers, John
Yep, if forced to, I would admit to supporting Collingwood too.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.

ChrisB
Level 1 Member

Victoria

12 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2007 :  4:36:30 PM  Show Profile Send ChrisB a Private Message  

John..
Guilty as charged..
I have a couple in my shed, but work commitments at the moment have me well and truly stuffed.
Spares in the way of pistons, and crank spares are no longer a real problem and are readily available from Emot Racing in the Netherlands (worth checking his website out..) You must be logged in to see this link.
1 of the two bikes is for available for sale if anyone is interested.
Cheers

Chris.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  9:40:57 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

More information Chris please.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  08:29:03 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Well, I have to ask again.
At last year's Southern Classic the turnout of 125s was quite good and led me to believe that things were improving.
Unfortunately the turnout at the Vic. Titles was woeful.
It's not as if we have so many historic meetings that people have to agonise over which ones they will support and which ones they will miss is it? What have we got?
Vic. Titles, Winton 2+4 and the Southern Classic in Victoria.
Come on guys, your sport needs you.
Yes, I am putting my money where my mouth is.
My bike should be all together by the end of this month and then it is only a matter of seeing if my geriatric body is up to the job.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

team400
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

19 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  9:38:32 PM  Show Profile Send team400 a Private Message  

John Ive resisted voicing my opinions on these forums,but you asked the question so here is the answer.Last years Sth Classic,SA Titles & Island Classic all had good attendances of 125's because the grids were put together based on lap times,which created some good racing.This year's Vic Titles changed the grids to put all powers upto 600cc together and hence this was looked upon from a safety aspect.Hopfully the HMRAV can look at this before this years STH CLASSIC.I know of 8-10 125's that all want to be out there
Regards Alan
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2009 :  09:20:04 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Alan, thanks for your response.
Safety must always be a prime consideration.
I guess we have a bit of a catch 22 situation, if enough bikes enter they will get their own race but if only a few enter they will get lumped in with other classes.
Perhaps we should have a 125 register to see how many are out there and how many intend entering any given event. This would give the organising club more time to plan the events.
Any thoughts?
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2009 :  10:36:16 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

We all love to see well ridden 125 bikes so how about a 125 only outing at Broadford - some could come and ride, some could come and sell, and of course we would have to have some who would come and buy.
If there is enough interest anything can be done ..... talk about it here and we will pull out the stops for you.
Just think that juniors have to follow on with something worthwhile so maybe support one if you can for their first year in 125 class
We have one or two Saturdays we could work in for you.
Best
Patrick
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  09:23:29 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Patrick, that is a lovely idea.
I think first we need to establish just how many are out there, so come on guys, if you have one lurking let us know.
If you have a priceless twin cam ex factory MV in your lounge then just let us know under a false name.
If you know of someone with a 125 ask that person to alert us of the fact.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  9:57:02 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

We can give it maybe seven days John and if we don't get a response then at least we can say "we gave it a try" and move on.
I do know that if I gave this same invite to people who have four wheels powered by motor cycle engines rather than two I could book out every spare Saturday we had.
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2009 :  09:07:46 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Patrick, I find that sad. Sad because I'm sure you are right.
I have been to enough historic car meetings to know that those people are from a different tribe. They turn up to give their lovely old cars a gallop and there is almost a party atmosphere about their events.
We motorcyclists seem to hide away in workshops and only mumble to ourselves.
I am not going to give up. Not yet anyway.
I know that there are lurkers out there and I only have to come up with the right bait to flush them out.
I'd bet that if I staged a 125 race with $100,000 in prize money there would be a thousand entries.
Sorry boys, I haven't got $100,000 to give to you.
Come on, make an effort. Let me know what is hiding at your place.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2009 :  3:51:43 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

Lads, they must be about. Perennial teenager Bob Humphreys, ex-British League and Test speedway star, and now living in WA, has been championing the cause of the 125s here since the format at the state (modern) rounds turned into a series of various-sized road bike classes, with the result that there are now 7 on the grid,pedalled by riders emerging through the junior (150 Honda) class, and the promise of more to follow. But if you think back only a couple of years, the support race at the GP for residential 125s sponsored by the Glen Cameron Group would attract up to 40 entries, so why not contact the magnificent Karina at PIMS office and hit her up for the list of entries, then do a ring-around ? Since that class has since been eliminated from the GP support program, surely there's a stack of bikes and riders just hanging out for a damn good thrash ? Just a thought...., regards GD
Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2009 :  7:51:09 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

Thanks GD66 - will give Karina a call in the morning.
We battle because I think that a lot of the attraction in entering at the GP was the tickets to get into see all of the other events that weekend. That is what a lot of the experts told me!!
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2009 :  8:21:41 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

No surprise there mate, why wouldn't you ? However, nowadays that's all over for the 125s, so they should be hanging for a ride. PIMS is 03 5952 2710 from what remains of my shredded memory....
Go to Top of Page

team400
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

19 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2009 :  8:03:52 PM  Show Profile Send team400 a Private Message  

Patrick
Great Idea,I have been on the phone drumming up some interest,so stay tuned.
John
Not so sure about the "Lurkers" you talk of but you should of popped into my pit at the Bonanza,where my two Honda 125's were parked beside another two Honda 125's,just the other side of a TA125.We could of yarned about several others I race with that were busy at the Barry Sheene Festival of speed
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  09:54:01 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Alan, had I realised that you were at Broadford I would have called in to have a chat. I was "working" in the veterans' area of the cafe so didn't get to do my usual rounds. What are your Hondas?
I tried to send you an email to the address shown in your contact area. It didn't work.
Now I can't remember what I wanted to say.
Senility is creeping up on me.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

the kid
Level 1 Member

Victoria

5 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2009 :  7:38:35 PM  Show Profile Send the kid a Private Message  

Hi All . This is my first post here and has come as a result of a call from Alan / team 400 .
It has taken me quite some doing to actually get onto this forum , register and then receive an activation email , so please dont think me tardy for not getting a response to this topic more quickly . And also be aware that there may be others (125 owners)who have tried to comment on this topic and have been unable to .
I have a couple of 125's including the TA that Alan mentioned was at the Broadford Bonanza (ex Chris Barton ex Tom Abrahams )
The idea of having a 125 day may have some merrit , but I want the opportunity to race at Historic events and share a grid with like powered motorcycles .
I did not attend the recent Victorian Titles due to the grid for 125's being open to up to 600 class P5 bikes . Risking my TA and myself just isn't worth it .
The question has been posed "Where are the 125s ?" Well mine and a couple of others just wont play with TZ350's
The Island Classic was a great event with a considered mix of machinery on the grid with P4 and P5 125's . And entertaining racing judging by some of the crowd reaction on the warm down laps and complimentary comments from the pit walkers .
Sure the Island Classic is a high profile event capable of getting large entries that allow grids to be filled , but the South Aussies can put together a terrific event in their Historic Titles that has good numbers on every grid .
One S.A. chap had his MT 125 out at Mac Park , but didn't make the Vic Titles . Dont know why exactly , but he was at the Island Classic and the Broadford Bonanza , so it sure wasn't to do with travel .
I plan on getting to the Aus Titles in Qld this year with the TA and to have an RS 125 ready for some fun at Wakefield when the PCRA run their 1 hour . Will be a definite back at Mac Park for the historics early 2010 . But I doubt that I will travel 1.5 hrs to Winton with the TA for the 4x2 meeting . The idea of being on a track with unlimited P5 bikes just isnt appealling .
Here's hoping that the Southern Classic (a ripper meeting) puts together some similar grids to last years .
Cheers Billy
Go to Top of Page

Trev45
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

1 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  09:25:54 AM  Show Profile Send Trev45 a Private Message  

Hi there
This is my first post (thanks Sir Al)
Grids need to stay in a format that can be user friendly, different speeds of bikes mixing of classes that do this does not help
You build or just ride bike for laps a 125cc is a primery or second ride for more laps
If you have a TZ350 and a 125cc bike and they are in the same race do you travel for half the laps ? NO cost gets up there and value for money drops. Just keep it the way it has been for years it works

Trev
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  10:09:25 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Welcome Trev.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  11:12:51 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Well, it seems that the registration problems have been solved so this is yesterday's tomorrow.
So, if we were to have dedicated 125 races how many starters could we muster?
Should we require different colour sashes to designate the different periods?
Let's not lose momentum.
Cheers, John
NOW HEAD DOWN TO THE POLLS AREA AND VOTE FOR OUR OWN DEDICATED 125 SECTION.
Thankyou David.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Edited by - john feakes on 06 May 2009 11:22:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

revhd
Level 2 Member

Victoria

108 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  12:04:25 PM  Show Profile Send revhd a Private Message  

so what has happened to the post i sent in yesterday?????seems to have been removed??????

125 alliance
Go to Top of Page

revhd
Level 2 Member

Victoria

108 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  12:11:54 PM  Show Profile Send revhd a Private Message  

forget that last post ,i have just found my 125 post in website registration looks like i sent it to the wrong forum by mistake ,,can somebody move it too the 125 forum please

125 alliance
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Site Moderator

National

599 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  12:25:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Allan's Homepage Send Allan a Private Message  

ok registered now

How to get good 125 grids? easy put all the 125s in one race,either in with the pre war-250 classics or give them there own race if the numbers are good enough,,the riders get better racing the spectators see better racing which keeps interest up for the 125s,,,,it worked at the Southern Classic good grids good racing,,then they dropped at the vic titles ???????????????????? so nobody entered...........
I own and race period 3,4,5 125s but do not put me in the period races i will not ride around at back field own my own in period 3,4 or 5 600 races,i like racing!!!!!.put all 125 together in one race it works!!! and good for the sport,
The riders all get to know one another which helps to put more bikes on the track etc
Having said all that i will be going to historic winton with a 125, i know the races are all in but for that meeting it has to be that way,,,,anymore 125s going????

revhd
copy and past its easy

Allan Greening
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  7:49:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

As I said elsewhere on this forum regarding the Vic Historic Champs:
quote:
I had a great time at Broadford, enjoying the track, the organisation, the racing & the people. The only disappointment for me was the combination of big & small bikes in the "Up to 600cc races" from all classes in one race. I also heard at the Barry Sheene event that many potential interstate competitors were turned off by this arrangement. It didn't bother me particularly but many slower riders could have been & were very intimidated by being lapped & passed by other much faster riders (including international class riders).
A much better way, in my view, is to have similar capacity bikes from all periods in 1 race as per Phillip Isl Classic & Barry Sheene Festival eg. "Post Classic & Forgotten Era 125 & 250cc/Classic 250/350cc" (Barry Sheene Festival) or "Pre-War/125cc (All Eras)/250cc Classic" (Phillip Isl Classic)

Bernie
Vic 125 P5 Champ 2009
Where were the 125s?

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen
Go to Top of Page

revhd
Level 2 Member

Victoria

108 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  3:16:54 PM  Show Profile Send revhd a Private Message  

Another way to get the 125 grids up so that we can have our own race would be to invite the bucket racers to enter and run with the 125s this i think would put anough bikes on the grid for a 125 only race,and give good racing.
They are after all mostly p5 bikes without log books,i think they would enter as they do not seem to get many rides other than Hartwell Champ meetings at present.
They could have there trophys etc
More entrys, more money for the promoting club
Just an idea anybody got any thoughts on it???????

125 alliance
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  8:03:55 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

I like the idea of including buckets but I fear it could get tangled in bureaucratic red tape. Bikes without log books in historic races where all bikes must be log booked?
Now if we could persuade some to apply for log books it could be a different story.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Edited by - john feakes on 16 May 2009 10:06:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

revhd
Level 2 Member

Victoria

108 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2009 :  11:36:29 PM  Show Profile Send revhd a Private Message  

I do not see why not,,HMRAV run the bears races at one of there meetings,they do not have log books, i think you only need log book if you want to compete in historic races,, the buckets could run as a sperate race within the 125cc all periods race,,,,,

125 alliance
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  1:27:11 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Some background ideas we have to struggle with to get a program.

Pre-war 250 do not like to race with P5 125's, mainly because of the different racing lines and brakes

BEARS are at the Vic Titles because not enough Historics turn up to run the event. We have less Historics at the titels than we have at the Southern Classic.

When the Hartwell club gave the HMRAV the Historic Titles to run, they also strongly advised that a second style of machine was neded to be financially worthwhile. They strongly advised against running buckets because there was always disputes about whose bike was legal etc.

We do not get consistent numbers of machines from any class to settle a final program that suits all.

We had earlier joined the 350 / 500 becaause there were only about 10 turning up, some riders put a case, manned the phones and came up with a lot more machines, so we split the 350 and 500 classics and got more 350 and 500's but that caused upset with others who made no effort to boost their class numbers.

We split the classic Sidecars from the P5 and P4 sidecars because the fields were big and the classics dont like the braking capabilities of the bigger machines, then the classics dropped off until we had to combine them at the Vic Titles again.

We now run top quality medical backup, second to none because we are all older gemtlemen, but there are still peole who will pay $100 for a night out but complain about a $175 race entry fee for a weekends racing.

The HMRAV is running a come and try on the first saturday of December so that may be a good day to promote for new blood or bikes.

Otherwise, come on and jin the committee or get on the phone and drum up competitors it can all help.

Call me on 03 9888 4387 if you like.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  09:16:30 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

We don't seem to be going anywhere.
It seems to me that we need a register of people who own 125 race bikes so that we can keep in touch and organise race programmes before the event actually starts.
I am happy to be the one to do this, either as an individual or on behalf of H.M.R.A.V.
All I need to get started is your name, email address and the type/era of your bike.
This would enable me to contact you prior to a race meeting to determine how many starters we are likely to have.
If we are ever to have 125 races we need to have 125s on the grid.
Please let me get this started while I am still alive.
I would like to have a register of EVERY 125 in the country.
Only you can make it happen.
Spread the word.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  9:48:22 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Hi John,
Most won`t let on what they own due to fear of the great unwashed finding out but here goes for a start for you.

Ex Bert Flood/Graham Mason Bultaco TSS125 Replica Period 3

Will most likely never travel across the Nullabor but its on the list

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2009 :  08:17:10 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Thanks Alan. I know that bike. You are on my list.
As for the great unwashed, I would rather take the risk than live my whole life suffering from paranoia.
After all, anyone with taking ways only has to get a race programme to see what is available.
So, who will be next to emerge from the dark?
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2009 :  4:25:06 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

All is quiet so perhaps time for an update on my own progress.
Wheels are now respoked and front brake relined and machined to the drum size.
Tyres are ordered (Bridgestone BT39SS 2.5x18)
so I am gradually getting there. Next jobs are to get a catch tank made up, put the front end back on, wire up a kill switch, put some fuel in and see if I can still ride.
This will be funny I mean fun.
As start up day approaches I will issue plenty of warning so you can all stay in the safety of your homes.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services