Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Eligibilty Area
 Eligibilty on Motorcycles
 MA Commissioner resigns
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

OldKwak
Level 2 Member

Victoria

156 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  5:54:59 PM  Show Profile Send OldKwak a Private Message  

It seems that the power of AMCN has reached new heights in MA with the resignation of Keith Roberts. AMCN published some edited comments from some personal correspondence between Keith and another seemingly taking the comments made by Keith in respect of a certain G50 set to be ridden at the Island Classic by a celebrity rider, out of context.

The comments were not checked with Keith or verified nor was he asked for comment,(not that he could) sloppy journalism at best, a gutless attack on a defenceless official at worst.

The result was Keith resigned so he can now respond (he can't respond whilst an MA Commissioner).

MA should have contained its haste and refused to accept the resignation and supported its Commissioner.

Who wants to step up to the plate now and take the risk of being cut off at the knees by MA and act as a Commissioner on the historic commission.

Who runs MA - AMCN perhaps.

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2008 :  8:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

What a pity!
Let's hope this all gets sorted out & Keith makes it back to the role he is very good at.
I've always found Keith to be a very friendly and helpfull person; quite often going out of his way to supply information not only on elligibillity matters but on any matters of general historic interest.

Bernie

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  12:39:12 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Oldkwak, I suggest that if there's something to be said, please make your comments clear, otherwise stay away from this sort of thing. It seems to me to be a very strange legal situation to me. Why couldn't Keith respond while an MA commissioner? (He wasn't a public servant bound by the Crimes Act!) I'd be surprised if Keith would be compromising his own competition licence by making a comment in his own defence! MA is now a corporation, not a competitor's union! I suggest that eligibility of historic machines shouldn't be a matter of office politics in any organisation, my question is - who makes the decision whether or not a machine is eligible, and to whom are they accountable?

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

OldKwak
Level 2 Member

Victoria

156 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  07:32:29 AM  Show Profile Send OldKwak a Private Message  

Once again Alan, you astound in your incapacity to grasp the situation. You are factually incorrect and frankly rude in your approach. I suggest you take a little of your advice and stick your brain in gear before touching the keyboard in future. Your comments are simply not worth responding to!
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  11:15:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

The comments looked clear to me AC.

AMCN published comments that where not meant for anyone else and took them way out of context. AMCN did not verify the comments and published the comments anyway.

Keith Roberts is more than welcome to put his comments on here about anything he feels he needs to as we would not be silenced by MA when they asked me to even with the broken promises from David White.

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  7:20:11 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

If AC or anyone else for that matter knew anything at all you would know that Keith along with all Commissioners signs a confidentiality agreement on being appointed to a Commission precluding them from making public statements while in office. This is quite a normal procedure and is not as some would think a mechanism for having a private boys club.
It would be interesting to hear Keiths viewpoint.
I personally wouldnt know what was written in AMCN because I would never lower myself to read this particular magazine

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  09:00:13 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I'd be interested to know how AMCN got hold of Keith's comments, if they were only made in a private communication? It seems to me that if we get celebrities to come to Phillip Island, the importance of the eligibility of their machines shouldn't rate too highly as a matter for discussion! The meeting is not a 'championship'. I have a poster on my wall which says that AMCN presents the Island Classic for 2008. So what's the story, is this business just another 'beat up' for publicity purposes? I find it strange that Alan states that he wouldn't read AMCN, when they appear to be promoting the Island Classic. I would have thought that he would support any organisation which promoted historic bike racing?

David Greening, it seems to me that eventually historic motorcycle racing will have to sort themselves out with David White and MA. It doesn't appear that much resolution came from the previous meeting at Tullamarine a couple of years ago?

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  09:45:38 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I've only met Keith Roberts about four times, however I was impressed with his level of enthusiasm. I believe it's a very sad thing when the politics involved in historic motorcycle racing are so severe that we lose the services of this type of person, through some inadvertant comment or leaked communication. Let's hope we can learn from this incident, and manage to keep our good historic commissioners in future.
I worked in a defence area for a number of years. One thing that really annoyed me, was the necessity to censor my every conversation with people outside the organisation. It doesn't make life any easier. It's just a pain in the backside.

Go to Top of Page

Bretta
Level 2 Member

Victoria

57 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2008 :  10:26:46 AM  Show Profile Send Bretta a Private Message  

Hi Guys, just thought I would put in my 2 bobs worth here. As a new comer to historic racing I have been amazed at the level that ppl in this sport will go to, to make newcomers like me feel welcome, and I will continue to preach this to one and all. But and always there is a huge but I find that some ppl or organisations will do whatever they can to knock some ppl. Be this the good old Tall poppy syndrome or the laid back attitude of "someone else will do it" just seems to me that a lot of ppl just want to whinge about others trying their best. What does this have to do with the topic at hand ..... well I have been following an issue with great interest that arose after the Aussie Titles in Sydney (on another forum site)and this too concerned the AMCN and them believing in "it's their way or the highway". My thoughts are publications like theirs should be used as a promotional tool for our sport not a forum for them to air dirty or unfounded jounalism or to knock the many genuine ppl that put so much into this sport such as Mr Roberts.

Bretta
Brass Balls
Sidecar #70
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  5:55:25 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Bottom line is that Keith felt he had to respond to the comments printed. He could not in his position.
Alan is correct with regard to the agreement all commissioners are required to sign.
I spoke with Keith recently and he is the best one to respond if and when he chooses.
But let me just say, it is a pity, people are prepared to pass on what would appear to be private comments out of context.
I imagine we all make comments about issues which may be the opposite of the view the overall committee has agreed to as the path to progress. I think as long as a committee person does not try to publicly promote a different view they are entitled to a viewpoint.
It is a pity people who may hear these viewpoint discussions are prepared to publish them for their own dirty reasons, but which may be detrimental to the overall good running of the sport.
It just proves you cannot trust everybody, unfortunately.
The Green Horror has its own reasons for publishing and we may never know why.
Speculation will only give credibility to all the stories, so maybe its best left alonew until those directly involved choose to comment.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.33 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services