Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Forgotten Era
 The most good-looking Forgotten Era race bike?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

Andres
Level 1 Member

Other Area

1 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2008 :  11:56:26 PM  Show Profile Send Andres a Private Message  

Greetings from Finland!

I'm planning to build up a race bike from an Ancillotti 125 cc (Hiro engined, 1978) motocross bike. I will convert he engine (34 hp without tuning!) and the frame and buy or make all the other parts. So my project will take a lot of time and money. (Fortunately I have a pre67 racer to ride while building this new racer.)

I'd like to find a model (for the appearance) from the latter half of the seventies. Do you have in your mind a good-looking 125 cc race bike from that era?

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2008 :  09:36:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

Greetings Andres.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
What rules are you building your bike to?
Most national motorcycle associations have their own rules.
By Australian historic competition rules the bike has to have the external appearance of a model from the era or at least use parts that are externally "visibly indistinguishable" from parts of the era.
To me the Morbidellis were the best looking 125 road race bikes of the 70s with alloy wheels and disc brakes.
But by the Australian rules, as we have to use 18" wheels in our Period 5 class ('73-'80) and it is hard to find suitable (lightweight) 18" alloy wheels, most builders use spoked wheels.
RS 125 Hondas became available in 1980 and are probably the most suitable to base your bike around to visually conform with Australian rules.
As far as looks go - a lot can be done with paint & stickers on the bodywork of the era.
Good luck with the project.
Bummers

Assuming you are building a road race bike

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen

Edited by - Bummers on 21 Jun 2009 5:18:14 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services