Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Honda CB350 Racers Promotion
 Cams breaking
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

jvdairlie
Level 2 Member

Queensland

48 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2010 :  09:57:09 AM  Show Profile Send jvdairlie a Private Message  

Hey Ben

Came across this little descripton on a USA bike forum.

I'm helping a friend revive a couple vintage machines. Unfortunately both are going to be street mules for now. The CB350 was a runner until two years ago, it apparently got real noisy, and then died with a bang. Upon teardown we determined the noise was the cam chain stretching beyond the point where the tensioner could keep it in check, allowing it to eat half of the front slipper. Fortunately, it didn't get into the cam chain galley at all. The terminal loud bang was the cam splitting, just past the sprocket on the points side.
Sounds very similar to your blow up and the other cams that have snapped!

Ben
Honda CB350 Racers Promotion - Moderator

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2010 :  11:35:45 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  

Sure does - but I was running a new Tsubaki cam chain and henning slipper. Their was zero slack in the chain.

I am just beginning to think that the old cams are brittle?

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

david dunk
Level 1 Member

Victoria

14 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2010 :  11:58:25 AM  Show Profile Send david dunk a Private Message  

Hi Guys, I have had cam chain problems over an 18 month period i have broken 4 brand new D.I.D hyvo chains in my 1100 honda. Very expensive! spent a fortune getting things checked and measured, Only to find out the chain witch i understood was made in japan has moved there operations to china.
when you compare a standard honda chain to the D.I.D chain the standard looks so much stronger.I hope my problems are over.
Cheers
David

DAVID
Go to Top of Page

jvdairlie
Level 2 Member

Queensland

48 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2010 :  12:53:33 PM  Show Profile Send jvdairlie a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by Ben

Sure does - but I was running a new Tsubaki cam chain and henning slipper. Their was zero slack in the chain.

I am just beginning to think that the old cams are brittle?

Interesting that they seem to be breaking in the same place!

You going to the Island Classic Ben?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services