Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Post Classic Forum
 '83 GSX 250
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

bluemeenee
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

2 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  10:27:44 AM  Show Profile Send bluemeenee a Private Message  

Hi,
i have an old GSX 250 which seems to be lacking alot of power. Up hills it really struggles.
When old vans are passing you you know something is not right.
Not very mechanically minded but I do have a workshop manual and am learning as I go.
Does anyone have any idea where I should start to sort out this problem?
Thanks.

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  2:49:55 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

I would start by giving it a compression test to see what condition the bores are in.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

bluemeenee
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

2 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  4:36:42 PM  Show Profile Send bluemeenee a Private Message  

Thanks for that. It's at the mechanics today and they're going to check the compression for me.
Go to Top of Page

dinkiracer
Level 1 Member

Victoria

5 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  02:22:03 AM  Show Profile Send dinkiracer a Private Message  

hey once you've made it go properly-think about changing he gearing. They came out standard with very stodgy gearing as they were not a real sports oriented bike,so if you put a front sprocket with one tooth less along with a rear sprocket of 3or 4teeth more than standard gearing-Kapow! -it will pull up hills and out of corners with a much more lifelike attitude!Many small Suzukis of that era,including trail and mx bikes,had similar size and splined shafts for the front sprocket-and the pattern of the rear sprocket mounting on your rear wheel will be same a s some other models-allowing you a large choice of possible alternatives without a lot of rouble. Next time you clean your back wheel just make an impression of the mounting bolt positions with a solid piece of cardboard and go from there.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services