Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Forgotten Era
 18 inch tyres?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

Former Member
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2005 :  3:05:44 PM  

I thought maybe you guys could help me with a question on tyres. I have an old bevel drive Ducati with 18 inch wheels. I have been running 110 and 130 size tyres as the rims are a little wider than standard, at the moment they are BT45’s. Will these work OK at a track day, I have only used modern tyres on modern bikes on the track before and I was after some feedback on what to expect. I have been having a lot of problems finding a decent tyre in these sizes, so if anyone can offer suggestions I would appreciate it.

Cheers
Colin

Geoffpgrant
Level 3 Member

South Australia

204 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2005 :  10:32:10 PM  Show Profile Send Geoffpgrant a Private Message  

I have used BT45s very successfully on my Waterbottle for track days. My front is a 19 inch but the rear is an 18 and I run 130 on it and have found it very reliable (and with a reasonable life). I used to run Dunlops a while back and while I found them to be pretty good, the BT45 seems to suit the older bikes better and they are a lot better if the track is a bit damp.
Hope this helps.
Geoff
Sidecar #30 (and Waterbottle)
Go to Top of Page

kavo
Level 2 Member

Queensland

38 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  5:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit kavo's Homepage Send kavo a Private Message  

Dunlop introduced a New Race Tyre for Older bikes about 12 - 18mths ago. They are TT900GP and I am sure they are available in 110, 120 & 130 sizes. Check with your local tyre dealer for more info if this is what you are looking for..
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2005 :  10:44:00 PM  

Thanks guys. A'm also wondering what sort of pressure to run on the track. With the Pilots I used to use on my Blade I would drop them down to about 28 psi, depending on the day. Will the older style tyres like the BT45's need to run around this pressure?

Cheers
Colin
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

5 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2005 :  12:59:12 PM  

I just thought I would update this. I had the track day yesterday and the BT45’s worked quite well on the old Ducati. My Son was also using them on his RZ350. Obviously they are not as good as the more modern sports based tyres, but they did offer a good level of grip. I was running 30psi in the front and 32 in the rear. This seemed to work well, there was no cold shearing and the tyres feathered nicely. They were getting a bit hot towards the end of each session, but overall I was surprised by their performance.

Cheers
Colin
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2005 :  11:52:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  

g'day Colin,mate i'm running bt fronts on my rears as well,magic in the wet,(on the lighter bikes i don't reverse the direction ),works for me ,price is right too,cheers
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services