Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Historic - Classic, Post Classic & F/Era Sidecars
 Sidecar Comments
 Lets stop violence between teams now!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  2:56:47 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I have been chatting to my old passenger about the MT Gambier old farts event.
From what I can see there was one team playing a bit of argy bargy and then abusing and threatening other teams.

We had thsi sort of rubbish years ago and I have heard from speedway teams it still happens in speedway.

I am asking we look into something to stop this getting out of hand.
We are racing and we have accidents and we can behave like 18 year olds at time, I have caused trouble.
But up until now we have dealt with it like gentlemen and moved on, I think.

But if we dont sort it out now, new teams may get disilluionsed by events and either leave or bad mouth sidecar racing.

Would it be possible for us to set up some form of arbitration with senior riders to deal with this or would it involve a higher levelie Clerk of Course?.

With all the new teams entering it would be good to take action to prevent old habits arising again.

Perhaps we could ensure we have a sidecar teams talk, just as we did some years ago when the Classic teams spoke about the more modern teams cutting them off and then slamming on the brakes.
It worked then, so maybe that is something we can look at.
What do people think?
I guess if we do nothing things will just festrer and maybe get out of hand.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  8:35:25 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

I sort of agree with you but .... the Herald Sun and other feesh & cheep wrappers love this sort of sports action and AFL would die tomorrow if someone did not have a groin injury or heaven forbid a broken bone or two.
That is stop the press and redo the front page stuff that sells an extra 4K papers in the morning.
Let the story run - get it on the front page and see your sport get a lift - it is more exciting than ball games.

Edited by - Patrick on 17 May 2010 8:47:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  9:30:34 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I am not trying to stop aggresive racing.
If a rider mucks up others are entitled to come over and complain, comment get annoyed, but when physical threats are made about delberately running others off the track or bringing out an axe thats beyond the pale.

When I was threatened by a rider over club management, the police and the rider protection officer of MV became involved.

In my opinion that sort of thing does not have a place in our activity.

With more people taking up sidecars I hope we nip this sort of behaviour in the bud.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Edited by - john on 21 May 2010 3:11:14 PM
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  08:58:02 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Such behaviour brings the sport into disrepute and should be stamped on.
Offenders should be given a warning and, if they continue, be excluded from the meeting AND have to front M.A. to explain their bad behaviour.
The last thing we need is even a hint of "bikie gang behaviour" at race meetings.
Is this matter being taken further?

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  09:26:40 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Well I am trying to see if there is support for some preemptive action.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  11:27:13 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I spoke with MA about procedures.
I was drawn to the ma riders code of conduct which states that all riders must treat everybody with some respect.
Riders can be banned from racing for making threats and behaving stupidly.

But I am getting support for teh sidecar teams to have a separate briefing at the track to welcome new teams and bring the issue up. remoinding teams such behavoiur is unacceptable.
being annoyed because something has happended is Ok, going down are venting the spleen is ok, but threatening to wipe somebody out on the track is noy ok would be the message.

Are there any objections.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

peen0_0
Level 3 Member

Victoria

224 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  11:40:06 AM  Show Profile Send peen0_0 a Private Message  

Can I suggest a note of caution here, as the Devils Advocate?
You have made comment of an alleged incident based upon anecdotal information. I don't doubt the honourable intention of your source John, but where is your concrete evidence that this alleged incident in fact occured? You have also gone so far as to identify the alleged offenders place of residence. Has anyone spoken to the alleged offender about this matter, or any other directly affected individuals?
I might sound like a smart A**, but its my job...I'm a Police trained special investigator (No, I am not a Cop, that's my brother) in my ever expanding role. I've seen the consequences of speaking out about an issue without due concern for the consequences, i.e. Liable and Slander!
Additionally, if such instances are proven to warrant attention, then it is MA's responsibility, under their Code of Conduct,to conduct an investigation and apply any punitive actions. Cheers, Tony.
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  11:50:47 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Perhaps mention of the code of conduct at the riders' briefing would suffice.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

peen0_0
Level 3 Member

Victoria

224 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  12:01:38 PM  Show Profile Send peen0_0 a Private Message  

Agree John. It is always a wise move to "fully inform" those involved of their responsibilities, and also the likely results of a breach. Cheers, Tony.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  12:47:01 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Tony, I took on board your suggestion about identfying the person.
I have had the story corriberated, is that the spelling, and we have had a little bit of trouble before.

The way I see things is if we have lingering tension things may get out of hand. I think the idea of welcoming new teams has merits onf its own and maybe a mention at riders briefing is something taht can be stated as well.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Sidecardiac
Level 1 Member

South Australia

9 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  10:26:45 AM  Show Profile Send Sidecardiac a Private Message  

Kenno's 2/- worth! Good idea Patrick how come you're not ARRSRA promotions & publicity officer? Tony and John right on the mark!

Kenno
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2010 :  10:49:11 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

The way I see this is that ALL COMPETITORS are bound by the code of conduct.
Any bad behaviour should be stamped on immediately by the M.A. Steward.
If, at the riders' briefing, riders are reminded of the code there can be no excuses for breaching the code.
Simple.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

sidecar55
Level 1 Member

Victoria

1 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  10:58:19 AM  Show Profile Send sidecar55 a Private Message  

While I was at the meeting, I did not see the incident, but was present at the discussion in the pits. A racing incident occured where differing lines & not enough room resulted in a bike being knocked off the track. I have been in similar situations & not been happy about it, but when it was denied to the evidence of a tyre mark on the nose of the fairing & a broken tail light on the seat of the bike knocked off the track, things were said in the heat of the moment. I wouldn't be happy if it happened to me either.
Go to Top of Page

Matt Morgan
Level 2 Member

Victoria

89 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2010 :  5:27:04 PM  Show Profile Send Matt Morgan a Private Message  

I reckon if someone is being violent and threatening in the pits, we all take it in turns to beat the crap out of them, and not stop kicking and stomping until they're a bloody, quivering, whimpering mess on the ground.

We have to show folks we're a peaceful bunch..........
Go to Top of Page

Ang
Level 1 Member

Victoria

17 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  8:26:36 PM  Show Profile Send Ang a Private Message  

when people run you off the track when your half way past them last lap last corner in title race you get pissed off when they say didnt realise you were there,as passenger is looking at the rider as hes leaning out to the left on the last left hand corner , get real
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2010 :  9:38:43 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

The way I see it people are allowed to be annoyed.
But I can say we do not need return to the 80's where violence was the name of the game for restitution.
We recently had an incident where trackside clashes resulted in racing through the pits, what happens if we injure anybody because a rider has a dummy spit.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2010 :  7:08:09 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

Both these untidy and unnecessary situations should probably have been nipped in the bud there and then by the clerk of course.

Edited by - GD66 on 11 Nov 2010 7:08:30 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services