Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Eligibilty Area
 Eligibilty on Motorcycles
 Forgotten Era
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  09:20:50 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Fellas, there are those who can do, those who dont do and those who undo. Remember that when you are wondering at the behaviour of people.
BUT I have some news for the Mac Men. this was sent to me.

Hello John. I have pondered over these pages for some time and have been both amused and annoyed at the content of some of the McIntosh forums. After reading the one from haf, and noting your respose, I can no linger sit back and read all the mis information.
I have had 7 McIntosh bikes over the years, and still have 3. These include 2 that haf has reffered to in his posting.
The first McIntosh built that concerns this forum was a Z1000 based bike. This was in 1978. This bike still races in NZ. I have a Z1000 based bike which is ex Dallas Rankine. It was built in 1981, and it is the bike haf refers to. It was the 3rd and last kawasaki ( race) bike that Ken started. ( 2nd bike was delayed due to pay as you build deal)
The first Suzuki bike was the GS1000 "Allan Turner" bike. This bike completed the NZ 1980 season with both Dave Hiscock and Roger Freath riding the bike. Dave Hiscock then had his own built that was funded by the Colemans. It has a GS1000R motor. It's first start was at Bathurst 1981 ( dnf) then went on to compete at the IOM and the UK F1 title. He was the top privateer.I also have this bike.
The first GSX1100 engined bike was built in 1981. It is the Freeth 1982 Arai bike. ( Still sparingly raced and will be at the 05 Island Classic. )
In y2000, The eligability committee took into consideration all the facts in regards to the Mcintosh bikes. It did this in consultation with Ken, who is a highly respected member of the NZ classic scene.
The result was that the GSX1100 engined bikes were deemed eligable as they utilise the same frame as the GS1000 bikes. Only a perimeter tube about the rocker needed a bow. All other dimensions are the same. it was a good and senible decision.
I hope this clears up some of the mis truth's that have been in circulation. The bikes are eligable so lets move on to somthing more posative and enjoyable.
The public and competitors enjoy seeing these bikes out at the track again.
On another matter in regards to the fork discussions, I am not so sure that this is not all mis informed hype. In regards to the Crosby bike, it is fact that the 1980 / 81 RG500 had a 37mm fork. Not 43mm as stated. ( I have a 1981 set)
I am sure in my mind that the Croz GS1000R had the same 37mm forks, but with the square anti dive. Can not be 100% on that one though.
Kind Regards Richard.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

haf
Does not want to be here

Other Area

23 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2004 :  03:31:53 AM  Show Profile Send haf a Private Message  

CAN ANYONE REMEMBER HOW THE MCINTOSH SUBJECT STARTED?LETS RECAP....on the 1st of november HHH suggested that"it's not what you know but who you know"when it comes to parts eligibility....on the 2nd of november john asked anyone to point out people getting special deals....on the 3rd of november i suggested that the GSX1100 mcintosh fits into this catogory and have been persuing this topic since............................................THIS IS AN EXTREMELY DISAPOINTING POSTING THAT JOHN HAS PASSED ON FOR ALL TO READ AND EVERY ONE IN P5 SHOULD PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO IT............................................not only dose this confirm all my posted information(although i dispute the dates of the kawasaki and have several articles that confirm the august 81 bike being the first kawasaki)it also confirms that MA are aware of the discrepencies in the dates YET CHOOSE to allow these out of period replicas to race!!!!............................................someone is choosing to turn a blind eye.if nothing else it's a good example of one set of standards for the few,and another set of standards for the rest of us.(something to remember next time your arguing about the position of a bleed nipple on a brake caliper with an eligibility officer)............................................at least they have admitted their bikes are "not of the period" and therefore ineligble to run in P5 and now we all know it as well!........... i guess this now opens the flood gates for all the people who desperatly want to race KATANAS to protest the MA seeing a precedent has been set?............................................IN REGARDS TO YOUR COMMENTS ON FORKS: crosby rode at least 3 compleatly different GS1000R motor cycles in 1980, i belive you are refering to his suzuki great britain bike,you are correct it has smaller forks than i was refering to.if any one is interested let me know and i'll post all the dated articles mentioning the bikes and fork sizes crosby and other factory riders used but it'll take me a couple of days to dig it up............................................HAF-DAN "THE PEOPLES POLICEMAN SIGNING OFF"
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2004 :  5:44:35 PM  

haf, why not take your Z900, grab a few lawyer's and front up for a p4 event?
tell them you will sue for 'restraint of trade' if they don't let you race? and your case be based on the precedence's that have been allready set?
(a joke fellas)

There are those who do, those who used to do and those who never did..
why is this 3rd group always trying to convince everyone they know best?

Edited by - n/a on 17 Nov 2004 5:45:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2004 :  11:44:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  

supposes you all have read amcn's 1983 article on macs,Mick Hone took up distrubution of frame kits?,mentions Phillis's 82 s/bike yoshi 1132 motor's good bits replacing a katana motor's in the featured macintosh for a bit more grunt, which according to article apparently use the Bathurst endurance race frame (from 82 i guess?),interesting read in light of all above?,
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

174 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2004 :  02:57:39 AM  

Here is a little area that was for the McIntosh arguement a while back.You must be logged in to see this link.

Also here is a site containing the pics of the said 1982 Dr Roger Freeth bike
You must be logged in to see this link.

Its not what you ride,Its how fast you ride it!!!
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2004 :  10:10:14 PM  

does anyone know more about the kawasaki macintosh? Richi has stated that one was first made in 1978 yet he hasn't given any proof or dated information, whilst Haf has given magazine dates for his. another thing i find a bit strange is that if he actually owns a gs engined bike then why not just race that one? instead of the later gsx engined bike? and if these gsx engined bikes have log books, are they loged as replicas of the 1980 model or loged as 1983 br1's ? now if they are replicas, when does a replica stop being a replica? if the frame is different and the engine is different, is it really a replica ?

Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2004 :  10:30:06 PM  

this whole thing seems strange to me, first Bertie claims his bikes are more elligible than other bike because he uses std forks and wire wheels and he offers to give one of his away ... then Richie send's an email to John, rather than to the forum and makes some claims without any proof. if Richie knows his bikes are out of period, then has anyone told Bertie? how did he get his bikes approved?
now even with Richies claims about a bike built in 1978, the first dated bike was built 2 years later and only a few months before the December cut off for period 5. all the rest of the bikes mentioned were from 1981 and later, now this hardly makes them a historicaly significant bike from the period and i cant see any reason they should be racing period 5.
Richie's claim that his bikes are popular with spectators and competitors alike, now if the people actually knew they were looking at 1983 models would this change any opinions?
but i'm sure that if a 1981 Moriwaki or 1983 Mick Hone Katana was on the grid, they would draw even more attention. imagine Mal Campbells VFR750 ?

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  08:41:34 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Just out of curiosity, what is the outcome of all the discussions?
Have you a bike that can get a log book?

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2004 :  3:18:31 PM  

i'm not sure of any outcome from this disscusion.
you wanted to know if there was any guys getting 'special favors' when it came to machine elidgabillity and this point was highlited to you that there are. perhaps you can tell me if there is any outcome in sight???
as for me getting a logbook, that may well depend on whether i'm a member of the 'secret squirrel society' or not.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services