Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 General Comments
 Does it still happen ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2017 :  09:14:06 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Seems to me the best has come and gone :

You must be logged in to see this link.

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2017 :  09:35:33 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Before we had historic racing and MotoGP, we had open road race meetings at Calder every month, and I think we were even poorer back then. There must still be a way that anyone who owns a motorcycle which is not a cruiser, can find a race class which would suit their bike ? Are we all now glued to computers and flat screen TVs ?

Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  8:55:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

quote:
Originally posted by acotrel

Seems to me the best has come and gone :

You must be logged in to see this link.

most of those bikes n folks are still running around Alan,still having the same amount of fun depicted in the vid,nothings changed there,we're all just bit older (but still not grown up)
Go to Top of Page

lew
Level 2 Member

Victoria

31 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2017 :  12:07:34 PM  Show Profile Send lew a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

if any members would like to take the old bike out for a ride there are Broadford "come and try days". Not a race practice day tho you can go as fast or slow as you like. A ride day is held nearly every month. I'm the only one that ever takes an old bike out there and it would be nice to see a few more old bikes on the track.

lewis hammen
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2018 :  5:28:10 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

How much does a come & try day cost at Broadford? A practice day at Winton is about $200 all - up. For me, going to Broadford adds about $50 in petrol. I haven't got the Winton calendar yet, but there are usually about three Champions' Ride Days each year. Another alternative is the Hartwell Club Meeting - usually very poorly attended, but it means joining another club - all costs money. I think the last time I rode at the Austin 7 meeting, it cost me about $500. What does the Broadford Seniors' meeting cost and who runs it ?

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2018 :  5:30:42 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

At the Broadford come & try days , do you have to pay for the shed ? If so, that is a turn-off - it's free at Winton.

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2018 :  5:33:52 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

There are several guys with old bikes around NE Vic. I've been thinking of inviting them to a hoe-down either at Winton or Broadford. We could pretend we are not racing.

Go to Top of Page

lew
Level 2 Member

Victoria

31 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2018 :  3:38:24 PM  Show Profile Send lew a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

quote:
Originally posted by acotrel

At the Broadford come & try days , do you have to pay for the shed ? If so, that is a turn-off - it's free at Winton.

The day cost is $180(includes the one day licence) shed space is free.Don't show a race licence as it is a recreational ride day--not a race day. if you need to go fast just enter the expert group and go as fast as you want.

lewis hammen
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2018 :  11:33:40 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Sounds good. The all-up cost for me going to Broadford would be about the same as going to Winton. But how do we get more classic bikes to Broadford to make it interesting ?

Go to Top of Page

lew
Level 2 Member

Victoria

31 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2018 :  1:01:28 PM  Show Profile Send lew a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Not sure how to get more old bikes out there other than letting folks on this forum know they happen. MV are fairly low key when it comes to events of any kind at Broadford.Up side of these days is--no race licence,club membership,scrutineering,camp there the night before and a choice of the group you'd like to ride in. Down side is that you're mixing it with "modern bikes" Who knows if there's enough interest MV may even hold a "come and ride" day for old bikes.One can only hope tho it's doubtful it would ever happen.I go to as many as I can and mine is the only "old" bike on the track.

lewis hammen
Go to Top of Page

lew
Level 2 Member

Victoria

31 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2018 :  1:30:14 PM  Show Profile Send lew a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I should mention that with MV and the HMRAV ride days that's 11-12 rides a year. HMRAV the 2 ride days(don't need to be a member)are pre 1990's bikes and sidecars. Maybe persons that want to ride their old bikes could send an email to MV regarding historic/classic bike ride days. If there's enough interest maybe they may consider it:-)

lewis hammen
Go to Top of Page

lew
Level 2 Member

Victoria

31 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2018 :  5:12:05 PM  Show Profile Send lew a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I've been in touch with MV and been told specific classic come and ride days won't be happening. If you have a race licence then you can only ride in the race practice days. Still can ride on the come and ride days however these days are for people that don't have a race licence. You need a recreational licence.
17 days till the ride day:-)

lewis hammen
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2018 :  5:04:34 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Champions' Ride Days look better, even though they might cost a bit more. Riding with modern bikes does not worry me. A lot of the kids don't seem to know how to really use them. In the old days, my race bike was 20 years older than most others in B & C Grade races. What I have now is fast enough to do myself a mischief. I'm surprised that the admin at Broadford is not more enterprising. Perhaps it is because we are all broke these days ?

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  08:52:53 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Due to our privacy laws, it is difficult to set up an email list to inform all interested parties. Perhaps MV should operate a Facebook page for Broadford ? Communication cannot be that difficult in this day and age.

Go to Top of Page

lew
Level 2 Member

Victoria

31 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2018 :  5:47:40 PM  Show Profile Send lew a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

MV have a facebook site

lewis hammen
Go to Top of Page

lew
Level 2 Member

Victoria

31 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2018 :  08:33:13 AM  Show Profile Send lew a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Missed the ride day at Broadford due to the heat. Feb 24 is the next "come and ride" day. I don't think it'll be too hot on the day(fingers crossed) and it would be nice to see a few more older bikes on the track.
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2018 :  7:43:01 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

There is a Champions' Ride Day on March 18, 2018. But it will still probably be too hot. - Bit far to come, if you live in Melbourne. For me Wakefield Park is achievable (5 hours) and the accommodation is good there.

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2018 :  12:08:03 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Are BEARs and Buckets and Seniors still all racing separately to historic bikes ? Seems stupid to me ! A bit more coordination might make sense. What are MA and MV doing for their money these days ?

Go to Top of Page

lew
Level 2 Member

Victoria

31 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2018 :  06:52:07 AM  Show Profile Send lew a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Preston MCC conduct "Bracket" Racing. Any type of bike can be ridden providing it's race prepared. Old and new together. Groups of riders are determined by their lap times, not by year of bike or capacity-- just ability. Race licence or just buy the day licence.You do need to be a member of the Preston MCC club($40) and they have a free BBQ at the end of the day.
Broadford ride day saw a 100% increase of old guys on old bikes- an Ossa and a Norton single.
8 rides a day must be more than an open race meeting
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2018 :  08:06:05 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

My problem is that I have never raced at Broadford and to me it looks like a dog's breakfast. I know a guy who is very good and he says he really likes it, so it is probably OK. But blind corners don't thrill me much.

Go to Top of Page

lew
Level 2 Member

Victoria

31 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2018 :  07:20:49 AM  Show Profile Send lew a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

If you've never had a ride there then it's time to start saving the pennies for the April ride day. My point is simply to see more old bikes out there on the day. What I like is 8 rides on the day,no race licence or log book needed and 3 different groups to pick from-slow to fast.I agree nearly all the corners are blind and off camber but it's just a case of taking it easy till a person works them out.I'm dreaming but if enough old bikes and senior riders attend maybe MV may even consider classic recreational ride days tho that's very unlikely when one or two older bikes turn up.It would be a great day to see classic solos and side-cars having fun and no "modern" bikes. IF we want change then we need to be seen and not heard--money talks:-)
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2018 :  08:13:07 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I don't care about riding on a race circuit with modern bikes as long as they are the same TYPE of bike. Big four cylinder bikes and two-strokes are not good company for twin cylinder and single cylinder four-stroke bikes. I really love to race my Seeley 850 against air-cooled Ducatis, Guzzis and BMWs. It would give me something to live for. Battle Of The Twins never took off in Australia, but it was good overseas until the water-cooled four valve Ducatis got into it. BEARS was stuffed for the same reason.

Go to Top of Page

lew
Level 2 Member

Victoria

31 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2018 :  10:37:16 AM  Show Profile Send lew a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I understand what you're saying about wanting to race your bike and if you did come on the day I'm sure that if you entered the "fast" group you wouldn't be disappointed--- they take their riding very seriously. I'm just trying to encourage people with older bikes to come out for a ride just to have FUN-- go as fast or slow as they want.I get flogged on the Ossa and the "kids" laugh at it because it's 46 years old and "primitive" but I don't care one tiny bit-- I enjoy riding it
Go to Top of Page

lew
Level 2 Member

Victoria

31 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2018 :  10:46:56 AM  Show Profile Send lew a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

All things aside, this would have to be the most lively topic currently on the forum. Surely there must be more people wanting to comment on the ride days. I know people are reading it so maybe a few more opinions on these classic ride days. I'd be interested to know why more people don't make use of these ride days. Too expensive,not interested don't want to risk damaging your bike
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  08:02:46 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Damaging the bike is not usually an issue. The cost is an issue. Getting onto a race circuit these days usually costs more than $200. For me, fuel to get to Broadford is about $50 return. If it turns out to be a dud day, it can be money spent for little return. With Broadford, if you haven't got access to a shed, it might be a bit of a bomb-out. My wife has promised me a ride day and I want to do some on-board video. For me Winton is a much better option. When I ride there, I can do it with my brain in neutral - it is very safe.

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  08:14:07 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

The Seniors' meetings interest me. I rode at a couple at Mount Gambier. If you can just turn up on the day and buy a day licence and get to race, that is very attractive. All this log book and eligibility bull**** gets right up my nose. A practice day is OK but it is not really much value for money in comparison with a Seniors' meeting. And you don't have to be old to ride at a Seniors' meeting. Is there a motorcycle club which makes Broadford it's home apart from HMRAV, who are a bunch of ****ers?

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  08:44:35 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Seems to me that the people who are managing Broadford have the wrong mindset. If you fill motorcycle competition full of rules, nobody will turn up to race. If you think about it, a full MA licence if you only want one ride, does not make sense. Eligibility requirements are not needed if the TYPE of bikes being raced are all the same - year of manufacture is irrelevant when you run graded races. So the whole thing effectively becomes a turn-off. The Seniors' meetings are a step in the right direction, but how many have been run at Broadford and have they become more silly stuff ?

Go to Top of Page

lew
Level 2 Member

Victoria

31 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  10:06:25 AM  Show Profile Send lew a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I belong to HMRAV and take advantage of their ride days. Not sure what you find w###y about the club as I find the members very friendly. You often mention classes, rules,log-books ,B/S etc, this is the point I'm trying to make. There is no criteria to meet on the ride days, just front up , park your bike in the pits,pay your money and have 8 rides on the day. Oddly you mention Broadford would cost too much when you factor in fuel costs-- Mt Gambier is just a tad further. It's all good tho, keep finding excuses as to why you can't or won't ride your bike and I'll keep doing the "come and ride" days and having fun for anyone interested next one is late April(29)
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2018 :  08:33:18 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I'd drive to Mount Gambier for a Seniors' day long before I'd drive to Broadford for an HMRAV event.

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2018 :  08:42:05 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

When I ride my bike, I want value for money because I am very low on funds these days. I'm on a pension and every second week I have three little kids living with me who always seem to want to eat. If I am going to drive to Bradford the total is about $260+ (if I don't eat) - for what ?
What are Hartwell charging for their Seniors' meetings at Broadford and what are their rules ?

Go to Top of Page

lew
Level 2 Member

Victoria

31 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2018 :  8:25:29 PM  Show Profile Send lew a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

WHEN you ride your bike you want value for money.How exactly do you equate that? You mention that you've never ridden there(Broadford) so how can you say you'd not get value? I think you constantly miss my point. It's an opportunity to ride ANY motorcycle without needing log-books or meeting any criteria what so ever. Front on the day,decide what class you wish to enter AND HAVE FUN!!!!! I suspect that you choose to blame MV or MA for not being able to have a ride.(correct me if I'm wrong--maybe mention what race events you've actually ridden in the last 2 years) I'm also a pensioner yet manage to find the money to attend most ride days.Regardless of what your real agenda is, all I'm saying is that if there are any like minded people out there that want to do a few laps(8 sessions)then these ride days is the time to do it. I just would be keen to ride with a few people on older bikes rather than mixing it with "modern" bikes.If you choose NOT to ride your "Seely 850" that's fine but don't be critical of MA or MV or HMRAV because whether you like it or not they offer motorcyclists the opportunity to enjoy our interests.Broadford ride days are one of those opportunities. Riders with older bikes or even older riders with "modern" bikes should take advantage of these days. THEY ARE FUN DAYS pure and simple. Come and have a ride and enjoy yourselves.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services