Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 General Comments
 Does it still happen ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2018 :  06:17:23 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I rode at Mount Gambier in the early 70s when the surface was non-skid. It sent a lot of guys to hospital. Broadford is another circuit which was created by motorcyclists. When it was first designed, they were told that if it was built like that, it would be dangerous. AND IT IS. Blind corners are not good. With my bike, it comes on with a rush and gets from point A to B almost instantaneously. If I rode there,I would have to be extremely careful whereas at Winton, I can put my brain in neutral. I will think about Broadford and I might go down there one day just out of interest, but I won't be in a hurry to do it. I know you guys love Broadford because it is owned by MA/MV, but Winton is a far superior circuit. My brother rode an outfit at Broadford and got into the off-camber at the back of the pits. He got a very close look at the fence - found it extremely difficult to get out of there. You can have fun riding around places like that, but going faster makes things a bit different. The same thing applies to Phillip Island. The guys love it because you can get going very fast, but any crash there is horrendous. With Winton, you can always crash safely. Mount Gambier is also very good these days, since they have replaced the non-skid with smooth-top.

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2018 :  11:32:27 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Quote from Lew.
If you choose NOT to ride your "Seely 850" that's fine but don't be critical of MA or MV or HMRAV because whether you like it or not they offer motorcyclists the opportunity to enjoy our interests.Broadford ride days are one of those opportunities. Riders with older bikes or even older riders with "modern" bikes should take advantage of these days. THEY ARE FUN DAYS pure and simple. Come and have a ride and enjoy yourselves

Hello Alan,
I can remember that sometime ago you were going on about the cost of going to Broadford from your home base in Winton and a kind benefactor from HMRAV offered to pay your fees for a ride day. Sad that you did not take the offer up as you may have got some cred for rocking up.
Since I retired from Broadford I have been fortunate to see many circuits throughout Europe - let me tell you that Broadford is not as scary as many there. Riders in Europe are very good and read the flaggies well, some are in their seventies and knock out fast laps all day long. Their mates bring them along - look after them during the day and get them home safely. Hope you are well and looking after yourself. Regards

Edited by - Patrick on 08 Apr 2018 11:40:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2018 :  06:10:02 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Broadford is not as scary as some European circuits - and that is good ? Who owns Broadford and who issues the track licence ? Considering that several black motocross meetings are held using officials who normally work at MA meetings, can we be sure there are no conflicts of interest ? I would point out that many top Australian riders have been killed on European circuits. They were guys whom most of us would not get near in a road race. When I ride at Winton, I know I can crash safely. Can you say the same about Broadford ? There are two riders I know whose opinions about circuits I respect. One of them really likes Broadford, the other is sacred by it. The second guy is older and has raced a lot longer. Who would you expect to be right ? Mount Gambier used to be a dangerous circuit, now it is safer than Broadford - but at what cost in injuries ?

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2018 :  06:31:36 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Patrick, If I remember correctly, the kind benefactor from HMRAV offered to pay my entry fee for a race meeting. It was obviously bull. In any case, if he offered to pay my entry fee for the Austin 7 meeting at Winton at the end of May, I would have accepted. That was not the offer. I'd have to think very long and hard before I raced at Broadford. I raced at Mount Gambier in the 1970s - same deal, you knew what the consequences would probably be.

Go to Top of Page

lew
Level 2 Member

Victoria

31 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2018 :  08:09:17 AM  Show Profile Send lew a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Alan, I'll mention again that it seems that you miss my point about the ride days. They are for people that DON'T hold a race licence yet still want to do some time on the track. If you attend one day(spectating is free)you'll see that it's not a particularly dangerous track. Lets be honest, all racing on any track has the potential for bad things to happen. I raced at Winton 40 odd years ago and crashed several times,I didn't even have time to head for the grass and run off the track.Broadford has plenty of run off space.That's the chance someone takes if they choose to ride on a race track. Again I'll state that it's an opportunity for folks to have a ride without actually needing a licence or a race prepared bike. I'd just like to have a doddle around with OLDER bikes
and mix it with them--I have absolutely no chance keeping up with anyone when I ride a 46 year old 250 single 2 stroke. At least on the HMRAV ride days I can actually keep up with some bikes. Not everyone wants to go flat out racing to enjoy themselves.You also seem to have a problem with MA-MV. Someone needs to issue licences, own a circuit, make rules.I personally don't mind the fact that they own Broadford and I'll mention that nearly every time I attend I notice that there's been work done to improve the facility. Well done MV!!! It's never going to be a state of the art sports complex, but I'm more than happy to spend my money there.It's convenient to where I live,a ride day almost every month and most importantly I have fun on the day.Patrick, good to see another comment at last. This is a fairly quiet forum and I wouldn't mind a bit more input. Finally a ride day on the 29th(a Sunday)so raid the piggy bank,dust off those leathers and bring the old bike out for some FUN-not a race
Go to Top of Page

lew
Level 2 Member

Victoria

31 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2018 :  7:27:38 PM  Show Profile Send lew a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Sunday the 29th of April is the next "come and ride" day at Broadford. I'm hoping I'm not the only old bike on the day. C'mon folks, bring that old bike out and have a ride and have some fun. If you Want to race then just
ride with the "expert" group. Slowish is good, Just do it!!! Camp out the night before, tell lies and have a beer :-) Please don't reply with what a crap track it it if you've never ridden it. Just come along for the ride.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services