Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Honda CB350 Racers Promotion
 CB350: The Saga!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2006 :  1:31:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

dude,swap the plug leads!!,(or 180 the points cam ),
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2006 :  10:11:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Benny,we're all still waiting ,(not embarrassing isit? ),
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Honda CB350 Racers Promotion - Moderator

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2006 :  12:06:49 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Haa haa, will update as soon as the megaphone sounds triumph!

On a different note; Does anyone know where to get replacement return springs for a T500 front drum? Can they be matched up with something else?

Cheers.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2006 :  9:21:39 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Guys the T250 I built, and on which Ian Whitehead won 23 races and 3 championships originally had the black box off a Valiant and a Honda 12 volt double ended coil firing both cylinders at the same time.
It's not the real good set up, but it gets you away from points. (You make an adaptor for the pickup, that fits where the points used to go.
When Blakey rode Angel's A7R and A1R kawasakis they spent lots of time between races adjusting and checking points. It's a good way to drive youself stupid.

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2006 :  9:30:06 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Ben the T500 brake I sold you is really safe to use, as long as you don't try outbraking disc braked bikes. The linings are ME36 and work well when cold, but are prone to fade after about 4 laps of Winton when you get stuck into it. I don't know where you can get harder linings like MZ41 or MZ42 these days, they're all asbestos compounds, but you shouldn't need to change them.
You might find the forks twist a bit because the anchor is only on one side. If you used double discs, you shouldn't have the problem.
I liked the T500 brake much better than the 7R brake on my old triumph. You won't usually deck yourself with the Suzuki brake.

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  11:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Benny boy,try sales@suziworld.com.au ,or 03 94598988,hopefully could be a common part!, don't forget to run the safety lockwire through the springs so if they break they don't lock/jam the shoes on,(happened to me oran park,had to wheel the bike backwards all the way back to the pits ),cheers
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2006 :  11:51:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

just pulled the top end off the smoker,oh dear ,the l/h inlet valve has a chunk missing ,chunk danced around the piston/head before going walkies out the exhaustpipe,removed the valve & the seat fell out too,hmmm must be loose valveseat year?,(see UnZed report ),flat spotted the rocker too,so i guess thats where the oil was contaminating the combustion process from!!,funny the outside of the seat was pretty dry looking,oh well back to the drawing board,(& the death hole for more spares)
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2006 :  09:34:39 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

The mystery of the smoker solved! Penrite will be losing many dollars as a result of this discovery Did the piston slam into the valve perhaps? Maybe time to fit that 250 head?

Thanks for the advice on the brake Allan and Mick, it was reading through this thread and revisiting your stories of locking T500 brakes that prompted me to get some new return springs! I managed to get some from a Suzi dealer, $4 each, not bad.

I have been busy helicoiling spark plug and other dodgy threads, which meant pulling the engine AGAIN!

Would like to go to electronic ignition and have had a plate made up to mount pickups to trigger from the crank, just have to find some suitable pickups/rotor now and all will be good. Bugger spending 3 or 400 bucks on a new outfit!

Damn not being a millionare.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2006 :  11:29:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Ben,try motorcycle-ignition.com ,follow the promps for honda,k350 etc,interesting? ,cheers
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  8:32:03 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hi All,

Finally got the saga started! Runs perfectly when it actually starts.... Some advice? The bike is extremely difficult to get started and I am tired of pushing it up and down the driveway.

All ignition components (point system) are fine, carbs are new Amal Mark 2. Each cylinder fires from release of the clutch, but it is reluctant to just start running.

Too lean on pilots?

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  9:05:36 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Benny, did I see the word Outfit in your entry. Are you coming over to the other side?

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  10:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

speaking of coming over to the other side ,the smelly stroker gang might be losing another to Club K ,(minor detail of comfirming correct K model aside )i hope phone call was productive Graeme?,
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2006 :  2:59:10 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Speaking of which, when are we getting some t-shirts made for club K? I will come up with a very tacky but cool logo free of charge. : )

News on the saga: I have converted to Methanol! First start on the new set up this weekend. Was sick of petrol, so redo all carb settings or just convert to Meth. Easy choice!

Will update next week.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  11:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

something like supermans' ,but instead of the S a sylilised K , very cool!!,
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  1:29:43 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Meth conversion a success! The bike has never run so well or started so easily, very happy with results. Just have to sort final tuning under load.

Should have done this earlier!

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2006 :  10:54:04 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Ben, I am sure you are aware but just in case make sure you always flush your carbies with petrol after use or take them apart and clean them as methanol can be pretty destructive over time. Two strokes are much worse as you actually need to flush the methanol out of the bottom end as the moisture it attracts can wreck bearings etc in pretty short time. Thats why I have never gone the methanol route, to lazy and sooner or later I wouldnt flush the system and end up with major expense. Hope it all works for you.
Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  11:05:14 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Thanks for the advice Alan, I am aware of this and will be sure to do it. Carbs aren't cheap!

I hope it works out too!

Next thing: Ignition..... Does anyone have a dyna III or S from a CB750/550/500 or from a Suzuki four that they do not need?

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

kavo
Level 2 Member

Queensland

38 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  08:45:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit kavo's Homepage Send kavo a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Ben,

I have been down the Dyna Route on my 450. I have ditched them and have set up a PVL self generating ignition. You have to be careful with the Dyna as if the battery drops charge or drops a circuit you will spike the modules. I had a pretty good run for the first year and then I spiked two modules due to batteries failing. All of the guys who run Dyna usually carry a spare module wherever they go and usually a spare battery. At $300 a pop I got sick of replacing the modules. Since changing to self generating I have noticed a big improvement in how the bike starts and runs. Let me know if you are interested as I am looking at building some units for sale completely setup with the adaptor plate etc to suit a 350 and a 450.

email me on dkavney@hotmail.com

Cheers

Damien
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2006 :  09:18:46 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Oil for Methanol that does not turn to mud?
Hi All,

After a few short test start/revs on the new Meth conversion I dumped the oil (Castrol Edge 25w 50 – formerly known as Castrol Formula R) and found it to be a disturbing muddy colour, much like Yarra water but thicker! Admittedly I severely flooded the carbs a few times while sorting out the float heights and this may have caused a flow of meth down the intake runs and into the engine………..

Question: What type of oil should I be using? I know that Meth will ruin most oils if too much enters the sump, but what types are more resistant (apart from Castor)?

Thanks, all set for the Southern Classic now, even have the CYB350 fairing fitted. “Draft” paint job only at this stage, but good enough to ride!

Cheers,

Ben.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2006 :  10:20:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

g'day Ben,thinking maybe the oils ok,concidering it was contaminated when the carbies were flooding?,any oil would do the same i guess?,check with castrol and see if edge etc's ok/compatable to running with methanol?, nice to hear the fairings on too,cheers
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2006 :  08:46:47 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Yeah, I think you may be right. I checked Castrol and they say edge is fine with meth but should be used as a "one meeting" oil only.

Thanks for the fairing Mick, it went on easily with only minor adjustments to get it to sit straight. Will post a pic (possibly airbrushed to cover dodgy paintwork ) as soon as I have one!

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2006 :  1:30:27 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hi All,

Fairing fitted and picture posted! Looks the goods now! Have a look in the Gallery under Ben's pics.

Cheers,

Ben.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2006 :  10:06:37 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

What a blast the Southern Classic was!

The bike ran alot better this year and was much easier to ride, due mainly to the meth conversion and elimination of flat spots. Times are getting better and most of all I am having a great time, what a great feeling it is to run a bike you know inside and out.

Some extra horses would be good for the straights though..... mmmmm.....I am planning further 'improvements' already.. will keep you posted.

Cheers and thanks to all and best wishes to Alan Hay in his recovery.

Ben.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2006 :  11:38:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

all hail the smoker ,it lives ,well it will when i fire it up,(mustn't rush these things,still got 10 daze to Mac Park )motor reunited with frame yesterday 1.30am,250 ported head,new 5.5 valves (xr400ish?),won;t bore you's with tragic story of valve guide assembly ,removal,replace,removal,replace,a go cart drive camchain,(very light,cool colour 2 ),lighter,new crank assembly,(thanks team K leader),i'm keeping quiet about rocker n cam details(unless it works? ),so i guess everyone else is busy preparing too,(sites a bit quiet on the postins side?,)hey sailor i missed your call earlier tonite,so i guess i will see you there mate,(reds again? ),
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2006 :  11:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

it's alive ,making most of the right noises ,had to resort to the rollers,bump starting on dirt/gravel road with some extra compression, & cold dragging didn't produce anything but heavy breathing,(& cursing),even smoked out the l/h pipe longer than for the r/h ( smoker memories linger )before settling down,(assembly oil perchance?),now all i have to do is tidy up with a bit of polishing/cleaning (snigger snigger),cheers all
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2006 :  08:59:27 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Great news Mick! Not sure about the validity of the polishing comment though

Nice work, will be interested to hear how it goes next weekend, the smoker will smoke em' I'm sure!

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2006 :  11:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

bugger 12 laps into practice,kaaalunk bigtime!!,r/h plug out back in pits,oh look theres the conrod ,whatevers gone in there was pretty solid,took out the piston crown,bent me new 5.5 valves ,they're still going up n down,but with a tad more clearance ,took 2 big slices out of the plug tip,geezas it was going ok too!,(apart from still smoking on l/h on startup??? ),somethings never change?,will post piccies of insides when i get around to autopsy!,
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2007 :  11:05:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

whooohoooo ,the smoker/gravel monsta (bloody apt that one!!,i found the Mac Park pit gravel in the sump,must post piccies too)
2min.13s PB's again!!,2nd P4 350 home twice,it was going really good!!!(apart from a hiccup when i flooded/drowned the points with too much oil in a casual maintenance session sat nite,duh!!,missed n farted for the whole of race 3,bugger!!),typical phillip island wind blew just about everyone nearly off the track,scary going into turn 1,(which side will i end up on??? ),think the 1/2 fairing i run sorter wasn't as bad as the full fairings in the wind,had to change from 17/33 to 16/33 gearing,just wouldn't pull into the wind down the straight,apart from a bit of rain,it was a great meeting,cheers
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2007 :  1:11:46 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hi All,

Well, the first run of the saga (and me) at PI was great, except for the rain!

Contrary to popular belief, I found that I had to lean the jetting (midrange) right back when compared to Broadford settings. I thought you had to richen when going closer to sea level?

Ahh well, got that sorted by Sunday and had a good run in the dry in the last race. The new PVL performed very well and once I get the the new cam fitted I might be able to keep up.

Have to get my corner speeds up as well, I think I was losing at least 2 seconds on the entry and exit of each corner on everyone else, adds up to a bit over a whole lap! (7 main corners x 4 seconds = 28 secs).

All in all though, good fun, will be back next year!

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  4:34:25 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

The smoker's demise - courtesy of Matcho Mick

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services