Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Honda CB350 Racers Promotion
 CB350: The Saga!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

racer7
Level 2 Member

67 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2007 :  10:17:51 AM  Show Profile Send racer7 a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hi all
My CYB replica has been stored for over 4 years. Time to get it back. Sadly, it's been neglected. I really could have cried. Covered in bird droppings etc. It has a Pirahna ignition (now called Dyna?) The battery box/ coils are gone, with the plug leads etc. So frame, wheels, engine etc are there. But what coils do I need buy to get it to run again? It used to run a 'loss' 12V system. All I remember is the coils were red round things! I have a CB350 rebuilt motor (points and condensor) but also no other electrics.The 'race' motor has Amals (methonol) and the rebuilt one the standard CV carbs Any help appreciated. Just to get her running again. Music to my ears!
Thanks in anticipation.
Jezza
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2007 :  10:22:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Jezzer, welcome back to the light mate! ,(4 years in the wilderness ),you might have had Bosch GT40 coils,(round n red??),i ran them with a ballast resistor on total loss battery with the points system for a while with no probs,don't think you should contemplate the std CV's,(the diaphagms are probably stuffed anyway?? ) go with the a(ni)mals,at least you can change jetting if your'e not going methanol 1st up?, whats up with the race motor?(apart from sitting?),cheers Mick
Go to Top of Page

racer7
Level 2 Member

67 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  08:20:14 AM  Show Profile Send racer7 a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hi Mick
I bought the CYB replica to race, then got hold of a CB500 Hailwood replica, and that became my weapon of choice! It was almost a perfect goer! Now sold and sent to the UK for Historic IoM. The CYB needed many rough edges sorted, then work interfered, and so the twin was pushed aside in a storage shed elsewhere. When I bought the twin, it had been last raced Lakeside on methanol. Various other 125 and VFR/ RVF acquisitions took more time away from the twin! I've never split the race motor, but it supposedly has a joy cam, kwaka pistons etc. The road motor is a runner I bought, had a bike shop overhaul it with new bits from Custom Chopper Imports (?), then been in my shed for years. So I'm just about back to square 1 presently!
Regards
Jezza
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Honda CB350 Racers Promotion - Moderator

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  08:40:37 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hi Jezza,

Will be nice to have another K4 on the grid! Mine is only really getting sorted now after a few years in development; I just have to learn to ride it faster now!

Keep us updated, will you be ready for the Southern Classic (If you are in Vic?)?

Cheers,

Ben.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

racer7
Level 2 Member

67 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  6:59:50 PM  Show Profile Send racer7 a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I have a good friend doing what's necessary. He had it running (badly!) on Avgas, but I've given him the methanol required. His 'payment', besides my undying thanks, will be to ride it wherever he wants. We've spoken about a few Classic events, and the Southern Classic could be one of the events he rides in. I located a couple of XL175 carbies from Tiara for the spare motor, and then we should be OK to start playing!
Regards
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2007 :  12:26:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

well folks,the gravel monsta survived Mac Park old farts on the weekend,,lastest mod was pulling the rockers out,& narrowing them by 1/2 from centres out,max revs(ie valve bounce)didn't break them,therefore must be ok,rationale there being the lighter XR400 valves/springs obviously don't need the full width std rockers??,cheers
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2007 :  09:10:40 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Glad the monsta survived, who needs professionally lightned rockers eh?

I am firing the saga up for the first time on the new valve/cam (bronze guides, stainless valves 1mm oversize on intake, custom cam) set-up on Sat. Fingers crossed!

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2007 :  11:30:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

hmmmm?,i made professional use of the shed angle grinder,then the linisher ,then i used a electronic set of scales to check all ended up the same weight,(80grms),cheers
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2007 :  1:29:01 PM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

and here I was with a picture of you peering at a little see-saw on the bench with a rocker on each end :)

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we may as well dance
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  08:34:27 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Popeye!

Have you been away or just lurking?

Hows the 350? When will you be alongside the saga and smoker (aka gravel monster)?

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

popeye
Level 2 Member

Western Australia

187 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2007 :  5:52:31 PM  Show Profile Send popeye a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

have all the parts and assembling at the moment, it will be P5 and not P4, primary use as a practice bike for ****s and giggles, more often under someone elses **** than mine. For the present just enjoying the challenge of cobbling together a Honda frame and engine with a Suzi front and back end (challenge?? they bolted straight in with no adjustment needed), Kawasaki ignition and carbs off a Yamaha.

My main focus this year is as passenger on sidecar #21 in the WA state historics, I feel I can become quite good at the caper if I keep improving and doing what I'm told, may have to slim down to improve acceleration though :) .

Am keeping up with everyone's efforts around the traps, wish you all the best with The Saga.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we may as well dance
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  10:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

listen up kiddies ,nearly forgot i promised to reveal top end mods after extensive testing,(constant valve bounce ),problem,the XR400 valves are 3mm longer than stock ,solution,use type 2 rockers with my type 1 RSC camshaft,Honda in their infinite wisdom changed the strike position/angle, it's reduced approx 3mm,(to suit the different base circle of the type 2 cam)serendipity or what ,bingo,no more scouging around for type 1 rockers in the death holes/wreckers,plenty more type 2 rockers out there!!(312's for the faithful ),back to the workshops club K people,
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2007 :  08:42:06 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Thanks for the heads up Mick, I will put in my 350 file so as not to lose it too the depths of time!

I started the Saga on the new vavle/cam set-up on Saturday. No nasty noises to worry about, so all must be OK The only clearance I was a bit worried about was valve to valve at overlap due to the 1mm bigger intake valve. On the famed solder check clearance was about .030". Could do with more, but I figure everyone made this mod in the day with no issues.......

I had to use the K1 rockers on my new cam due to a reduced base circle, so if anyone has any spare early rockers I would be pleased to take them off your hands!

Next step:
Install new 35mm forks on existing T500 drum, then later down the track a lockeed caliper and cb750 disk.
Then, new paint job.... tired of semi-matt silver!

On a different note, does anyone have bearing part numbers for a tapered steering head bearing conversion? I can get the kit from a dealer for about 80 bucks, but figure it would be cheaper from SKF or the like if I have the correct numbers.

Cheers, looking forward to the Southern Classic!

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

racer7
Level 2 Member

67 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2007 :  7:56:46 PM  Show Profile Send racer7 a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Finally I have the CYB Replica running, albeit not very well!
The saga of this bike, long story cut short, is that I bought it off a Pom guy, who had a local (Oz) rider on it. Allegedly raced at Lakeside, but has sat in 'storage' for years. Using Amals on Methanol, I was given a few carb rubbers of varying lengths to try.(Pieces of radiator hose?)
A guy has told me that any main jet size between 1.1 and 1.5 mm should be OK, as Meth apparently burns so differently from Avgas etc. I have no idea! The 'other' motor I have built up, has no carbs, but I've been told XL175 carbs were the go at that time. So I got a couple. Errrr...but they have flanges, and are not a 'slip into the carb mount' rubbers. So now what? Is it an absolute secret, or can someone give me the right way to head...before more money is wasted? There again the sum of the parts is greater then the whole...........?
Racer7
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2007 :  3:40:47 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Great to hear!!!

I also have mine set up on Amals (Mark 2) with Methanol. I will check my notes on initial jetting for you. Was a pain in the a#se to get right (still not perfect but not bad). Did you get the Amals with the bike? If so, just run them, much easier to get parts and jets etc for than the xl carbs (and they wil fit!). However, do the flange holes line up? Might be a goer if they do, if not, cut the losses and use the Amals.

Cheers,

Ben.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2007 :  10:27:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

g'day Racer 7,i think (from memory??)you might be 1/2 way there with XL carbs?,i think you use the tops to convert early K series 750 lever type carbies to cable operation to suit the 350,i did have a set on mine before i went to animals,i will dig them out & check,because (also i've a few sets of 750's somewhere in the shed)cheers
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  08:38:51 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hi All,

Just an update: I now have all the parts required for my conversion to a lockeed caliper/cb750 disk front end but need one more vital ingredient..... The axle I have at the moment is pitted and not really good enough for race use.

Does anyone have a good cb550/cb750K front axle they would like to part with? Wanted urgently!
Thanks and Cheers, look forward to seeing you all at the Southern Classic!

Ben.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  10:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Subaru WRX 5.5 valves (1mm os on std size)is the lastest bit of news on head mods,nats for testing?? ,
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2007 :  2:44:41 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

You are indeed ingenious; are they the correct length?

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  10:53:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

hi all,had a "senior moment" on sat ,out of 9,fired it at turn 10 about 12grand in 3rd,went down instead of up ,duh!!,l/h x colletts jumped ship,(surprise surprise),inlet valve on the MV jumped ship 2hrs later going out in pit lane,,stood under a cold shower for 20mins till i calmed down,(i had thought it was the big end ),most relieved to discover "just" a dropped valve,beginning to think i'm cursed at Eastern Creek ,i've just come in from the shed, popped the head off MV,no other damage,piston has 2 little minute flat spot witness marks,so i guess thats a win?,let you know when i get the SL motor down,the subaru valved 350 went pretty good,Derek the pilot got down to 2.09's for only his 2nd race meeting on it,cheers all
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2007 :  11:37:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

bugger!!,(it gets worse ),while i had the head off replacing bent x valves(arrived today "loose" in an xpress post bag)i thought ,shout it some new rings(been in there approx 6yrs+ 2 motors)hey the gaps r still good ,spots this tooth "bit" on cam chain/ idler wheel,uh oh,the Z9 steel tensioner wheel has spat 3 teeth,bugger i know where the other 2 are,in the bleeding sump,(you will recall i searched,& eventually found Mac Park's blue metal bit under the baffle plate in the sump!!)plus the experimental hard "plastic" idler wheel has taken a flogging from the lightweight dogbone camchain , hmmmm best concentrate on plan b(MV) for southern classic,cheers
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2007 :  4:35:30 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Sounds like the Honda is asking for a rest? The MV needs a reemergence anyway, look forward to seeing you there Mick and everyone else!
Cheers,
Ben.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  09:43:09 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Did a couple of posts on this thread disappear, or is it just me?

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2007 :  7:20:00 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

OK, site was hacked and S/C update no longer present!

Heres a recap for the record:

The Southern Classic was again a blast, thanks to all and especially Rob Gibson for giving me a good run! I'll get you next time!

The carbs are all sorted now, but as normal there are always problems! Clutch slip cost me a couple of seconds for each lap I am sure but I have prepared for next time through fitting Barnett Kevlar plates, from all reports this is way to go!

The old T500 brake performed very well, but I still have to make time (and money!) to fit the disk/lockeed caliper set-up to keep up with the rest in corners. Anyone got a 40 hole 18" alloy rim to help the project along?

If not, a money tree would do?

Very happy with the performance of the new valve/cam set-up; not as radical as some but delivering good power from go all the way to top. Managed to shave 2 seconds off my fastest lap time to 1:16. On the way there now!!

Next jobs:
Fit disk
Lighten Crank
Up comp for the methanol and maybe lighter pistons (specs are secret - gotta keep some things to club K members only!)

Cheers.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2007 :  7:51:56 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Ben, calm down mate. To stop clutch slip, just check that your steel plates aren't dished, then add one extra steel plate into your stack when you reassemble, this will do the trick . True !
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2007 :  8:16:08 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

An extra steel plate? Not sure how that works when no extra friction plates are installed?

I got the kevlar set up anyway, hopefully no more expenditure on the clutch is required!

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2007 :  7:37:40 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Ben, I've just had a look at the photo of your Honda. The alloy tank looks great. Glad you have a sensible use for it. It appears to be a wel prepared machine.
Mick, The photo of your engine demolition was interesting - looks like it was running a bit rich?

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

Ben

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2007 :  09:20:40 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Thanks Alan, I am quietly proud of my efforts.. Not the neatest machine in the pits, but getting neater and faster each year as funds allow!

2nd call for 40 hole Wm2 18" rim (alloy, does not need to be flanged)... anyone?

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2007 :  7:26:13 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Benny, get an outfiot, there is always soimebody else to help fix things.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2007 :  05:07:01 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I gave that man at Glenrowan a rim of that size.

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services