Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Forgotten Era
 Formula 750
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

god of speed
Level 1 Member

9 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  9:22:42 PM  Show Profile Send god of speed a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hi everyone,

i am unable to make it to broadford this weekend for the Vic Titles, but i would like to know, from anyone who did go, what are the numbers like in the class of formula 750 of forgotten era? i have a 1981 650 katana that i have been modding and prepping for classic racing so just want an idea what its like.

thanks

Charlie

Overall happiness is directly proportional to the increasing distance between the front wheel and the ground.

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  9:54:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I didn't go either but the Results are here: You must be logged in to see this link.

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen
Go to Top of Page

god of speed
Level 1 Member

9 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2011 :  11:14:34 PM  Show Profile Send god of speed a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

so i would be able to race in the:
OVER 350cc POST-CLASSIC / OVER 600cc FORGOTTEN ERA
and
UNLIMITED CLASSIC

categories, correct? there are alot of races, 7 per category if im not mistaken.

Overall happiness is directly proportional to the increasing distance between the front wheel and the ground.
Go to Top of Page

conker
Really - acotrel - Now banned

Victoria

361 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  07:29:26 AM  Show Profile Send conker a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

'so i would be able to race in the:
OVER 350cc POST-CLASSIC / OVER 600cc FORGOTTEN ERA
and
UNLIMITED CLASSIC'

Period 6 at 'moderns' meetings, along with all the other superbikes!

Go to Top of Page

conker

Victoria

361 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  07:31:18 AM  Show Profile Send conker a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

As I understand it Katanas have always been excluded from Period 5?
Go to Top of Page

god of speed
Level 1 Member

9 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  08:43:07 AM  Show Profile Send god of speed a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

'Period 5: Forgotten Era, 1st January 1973 to
31st December 1982'? my kat is 1981

Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  1:03:36 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Correct, cutoff was 1980 but has been altered to 1982 to align with UK and NZ rules, avoids confusion at the Island Classic International Challenge, so Katanas are ok : Steve Martin was aboard one this year, Rob Phillis has one running and John Pace will be fronting on one as well.
Go to Top of Page

god of speed
Level 1 Member

9 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2011 :  4:27:32 PM  Show Profile Send god of speed a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

cool, are there any 650 kats or are they all the 750/1100 engine?

Go to Top of Page

conker

Victoria

361 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  06:39:02 AM  Show Profile Send conker a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

It'd have to be a stupid rule if it allows the GSX Suzuki of 1980 to run in period 5, but excludes Katanas of 1982? When the major difference is a bit of fibreglass? Perhaps the whole MA rule structure should be looked at more closely for that sort of thing?
Go to Top of Page

JasonL
Level 3 Member

Victoria

240 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  09:16:45 AM  Show Profile Send JasonL a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

To be clear, 650 Katanas are in name only, being shaft drive and at the time an XJ650 rival. Are you changing it over to chain drive or running as a shaftie??

Alan in copy - relax, the P5 rules are fine now with a 12/82 cut-off
Go to Top of Page

god of speed
Level 1 Member

9 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  11:33:11 AM  Show Profile Send god of speed a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

running as a shaft, no particular reason, just to be different.

maybe less maintenance? haha, any reason why i cant?

Go to Top of Page

JasonL
Level 3 Member

Victoria

240 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  6:49:15 PM  Show Profile Send JasonL a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

No reason you can't at all !! The more diversity the better!

And you'll never need to worry about gearing!
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  7:15:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

It's a bit difficult to change gearing on a shaftie - a distinct disadvantage.

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen
Go to Top of Page

Doghouse Dave
Level 2 Member

Victoria

34 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2011 :  9:26:49 PM  Show Profile Send Doghouse Dave a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Go for it,there is no Formula 750 anymore but you are welcome in P5 unlimited.I ride a Z750 and have a ball even though I'm at the tail end of the field.The more the merrier I reckon,join a club if you havent and get out on the track it may encourage more bikes out there.

It doesnt matter if you win or lose,its having a good time that counts.
Go to Top of Page

god of speed
Level 1 Member

9 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2011 :  5:36:53 PM  Show Profile Send god of speed a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Does anyone know where i could get some 19 inch front slick? the kat has a 19 front and its proving a bit difficult to source slicks that size.

Dave, out of interest what mods have you done to your Z750? just wanto get an idea what type of mods are made for racing

thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Doghouse Dave
Level 2 Member

Victoria

34 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  7:01:42 PM  Show Profile Send Doghouse Dave a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

My old Z doesnt run slicks but has CBX75O Comstar wheels running a 16" front and 18" rear which are a bit wider than standard. Most of P5 unlimiteds run slicks but for my ability at the moment its down the track until I can ride a bit better. I have a Dyna igniton/810 Kit/33mm smoothbores/race cams/pipe. My advice to you if you want to get out there quick is a 4 into 1 pipe,get some good pod airfilters and the jetting changed at a dyno place,wire up the sump,cover the engine covers that could leak oil if they contact the ground put a chain guard under the swingarm,race plates,log book from MA and you're out there having a ball.

Go to Top of Page

god of speed
Level 1 Member

9 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  7:30:00 PM  Show Profile Send god of speed a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

yeh for now i might have to run the street tyres, currently the kat is 4-1 with pods and oversize jets, i will get it dynoed before racing though. will i need a chain guard if its a shaftie?

race plates and log book are in processing!

not much more to do really.......... i will be at broadford with the beast on easter saturday. do many from here attend the HBBB?

Go to Top of Page

Doghouse Dave
Level 2 Member

Victoria

34 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  9:30:42 PM  Show Profile Send Doghouse Dave a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I'll be there at easter come and say hello I'll be in the HMRAV pit. No need for that chain guard..........

Go to Top of Page

god of speed
Level 1 Member

9 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2011 :  9:53:36 PM  Show Profile Send god of speed a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

cool, will do, ive entered the kat so ill see you on track aswell!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services