Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Forgotten Era
 1982 GSX1100
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

rally72
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

1 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  1:17:43 PM  Show Profile Send rally72 a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hi All, can anyone advise me on what brakes I should be fitting to a 1982 Suzuki GSX1100 for running in P5 racing ? Thanks

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  1:34:12 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Are the original brakes inadequate?
It might be worth talking to Rex Wolfenden (03) 9457 5411.
Whatever Robbie has on his Katana seem to work well enough.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

probike
Level 1 Member

Victoria

5 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2012 :  9:23:38 PM  Show Profile Send probike a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

peter from manta engineering makes the disc on the front running p5 bikes
Go to Top of Page

link
Level 1 Member

19 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2012 :  11:58:28 PM  Show Profile Send link a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hi i was told the triangle brembos off bmw and guzzies are fairly cheap and pretty good you would have to make an adapter plate though. Link
Go to Top of Page

Doghouse Dave
Level 2 Member

Victoria

34 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  10:25:29 PM  Show Profile Send Doghouse Dave a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I've got those Brembos Link. They are called 08's. I got mine for $70.00 on ebay put a kit in them,new pads and they work fine. They were on heaps of BMW,Ducati's,Moto Guzzi's and Laverdas. Bargain braking.Keep watching ebay or go to a European bike wreckers if you can find one. Rex fitted mine up too.

It doesnt matter if you win or lose,its having a good time that counts.
Go to Top of Page

OldKwak
Level 2 Member

Victoria

156 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2012 :  5:35:27 PM  Show Profile Send OldKwak a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Need to have a good look at them if you get them second hand. It is possible to buy brand new F08 Brembo calipers on US sites for a $100. Also need to pay careful attention to to the master cylinder, suggest you look at what the TZ blokes use. Too big and the lever feels like a board. I use a Ducati monster master cylinder and it is fantastic. Also be careful about the brake fluid you use, the F08 calipers use natural rubber seals and I believe such rubber is allergic to DOT5 in that it swells the rubber and pins the pad to the disc. Also be extremely careful to not overfill the master cylinder. Having had a major fall as a result of failed brakes, F08 Brembos, I strongly suggest you do the research. I still use them, because they are fantastic, but I use all matching Brembo gear, including the discs. The other alternatives are Lockheed, or Grimeca both of which cost a lot more. You should look at the 1982 big model Hondas as well, they have good twin pot brakes
Go to Top of Page

Doghouse Dave
Level 2 Member

Victoria

34 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  10:41:31 PM  Show Profile Send Doghouse Dave a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I'm running a Brembo master cylinder from a monster on mine too works great with the F08's.Good tip about the fluid.

It doesnt matter if you win or lose,its having a good time that counts.
Go to Top of Page

d3goldnews
Level 1 Member

3 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2013 :  12:27:21 PM  Show Profile Send d3goldnews a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I like this post.It brings me a lot of fun. At the same time I learned something.If you want to know more carefully,I suggest you carefully check on the Internet.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Edited by - d3goldnews on 03 Jun 2013 12:27:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

rol
Level 2 Member

Victoria

22 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2013 :  7:12:23 PM  Show Profile Send rol a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I have Brembo 08's and cast rotors made by Ford McKernan Engineering in Euroa, on my CBX, The Beast, with a Honda master cylinder and they are awesome. I use Motul RBF dot 4 brake fluid. Expensive at about $35 for 500ml, but good stuff. Even Alan Cathcart said it stopped better than the Irving Vincent and she is probably 50 kg heavier! These were given to me years ago from a mates Benelli 6. I have since bought a new pair from Motobins in UK. I think that they were just under $100 each, brand new with pads!
Regards
Rol.

Rol.

Edited by - rol on 09 Jun 2013 7:13:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2013 :  06:43:27 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Ross Barelli R.I.P.

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2013 :  09:01:38 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Ross of course dies at Bathurst when his self made discs fell apart. I was racing a sidecar at the same meeting with home made discs and the officials had a good look at mine. I have since heard the problem with his was that the drilled holes were laid out perfectly rather than randomly and the thought is the stress cracks had an easy run. I am still using my discs from the same event today.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services