Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Forgotten Era
 Period 6 Suzuki RGV250?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

skypig
Level 1 Member

Queensland

6 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  10:25:15 AM  Show Profile Send skypig a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I'm interested in racing a period 6 machine around SE QLD.

I'm struggling to get confirmation on the eligibility of the VJ22 model of RGV250.
This model was released in later 1990 as a 1991 model.

I've found a document that indicates it has been pronounced legal for "Period 6 250 production".
The low key meetings I'd like to race at seem to only have "Period 6" capacity classes rather than production.
Would finding a frame with a 1990 date make any difference?

Thanks for any guidance. (It's a bit quiet around here. Especially compared to the VMX site!)

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  11:17:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

It has been quite, but a lot of lurkers:

According to the GCR's from MA's site at: Chapter 11 - Historic Road Race on page 96:

SECTION 11B: COMPETITION CLASSES 11.3 PERIODS
11.3.0.1 For the purposes of determining eligibility, machines are categorised as follows:

PERIOD NAME DATE RANGES

Period 1 Veteran Up to 31 December 1919

Period 2 Vintage 1 January 1920 to 31 December 1945

Period 3 Classic 1 January 1946 to 31 December 1962

Period 4 Post Classic 1 January 1963 to 31 December 1972

Period 5 Forgotten Era 1 January 1973 to 31 December 1982

Period 6 New Era 1st January 1983 to 31 December 1990

I hope that that helps clear that up.

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

skypig
Level 1 Member

Queensland

6 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  1:36:41 PM  Show Profile Send skypig a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hi David,

Thanks for the quick reply.
I know many people are too lazy to even try to help themselves. Preferring to let others do the leg work. I'm hoping I'm not one of them.
I've studied the GCRs. I race (well "ride") modern MX, VMX and Supermoto.

VMX is clear: pre '90 = 1989 models.

Historic Road racing "31 December 1990" implies that if I can source a 1991 VJ22 "M" model with a late 1990 build date it would be eligible. Is that your understanding?

Also, hours of internet research found this:
You must be logged in to see this link.

Is there someone that can give me a definitive answer so I don't buy an expensive bike I can't ride anywhere?

Thanks again for your help.

Simon
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2017 :  2:10:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hi Simon,

That is what I read in the minutes from 2013, but that could of changed.

Alan Warner used to visit here a fair bit, but last logged on here in 2016
Marcus de Caux last logged on here in 2016

Doesn't mean that they have not been past to see what is going on. I am sure that there are a few that can give a clearer understanding of the rules.

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

skypig
Level 1 Member

Queensland

6 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2017 :  7:44:42 PM  Show Profile Send skypig a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Thanks again.

Is there someone at MA I can contact?
I'd need a logbook as well. Something else new to me. MA again?
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2017 :  11:16:41 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Contact MA direct and ask to speak with the Historic management committee members about it.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

skypig
Level 1 Member

Queensland

6 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2017 :  7:01:24 PM  Show Profile Send skypig a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Update.

I bought a 1989 Honda NSR250, with P6 Historic log book.
We�ll see how we go.

Thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2017 :  08:06:22 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

The rules are made to assist you and bring people into the sport. However, you might not think it.

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

skypig
Level 1 Member

Queensland

6 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2017 :  7:49:47 PM  Show Profile Send skypig a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

quote:
Originally posted by acotrel

The rules are made to assist you and bring people into the sport. However, you might not think it.

I dont doubt it. It just does not seem easy to get an answer to how I get into the sport. And buy an eligible, suitable bike.
I persevered and bought a bike with a log book.
The mechanical work begins.
I am not sure how I will feel if I line up against 1990+model RGVs

Thanks to everyone who contributed.
A shame this forum is not more active.

(Edited to remove apostrophes. Doesn�t like them, �)

Edited by - skypig on 04 Nov 2017 7:52:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2017 :  4:47:44 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

If it was easy to get into historic motorcycle racing, everyone would be doing it. As it is, it is somewhat exclusive. Whenever a new race class is created, the trend is first to consider what we DON'T want racing in the new class. That way we keep out the riff-raff with their hot-rods and their cash.

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2017 :  4:50:49 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Terry O'Neill is always looking for entries.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services