Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Promotion of all 125's
 The Southern Classic
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  1:13:49 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Yes, I know it is still a way off yet but NOW is the time to start planning.
How many 125s can we get there?
How many 4 stroke 125s can we come up with?
Maybe I have a warped point of view, the way I see it is that the 2 stroke riders want to win races and the 4 stroke riders want to be part of the historic racing scene.
Because of this viewpoint I am thinking of donating a trophy for 4 strokes only.
Will I get support for this?

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.

revhd
Level 2 Member

Victoria

108 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  1:52:20 PM  Show Profile Send revhd a Private Message  

Very good of you John i agree with your views ,lets hope it will encourge some more entrys.
Yes us 125 two stroke riders are trophy hunters Ha Ha ...

125 alliance
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  5:49:56 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

John, Do you believe that there will ever be enough four stroke 125s to get their own race? I'd love to build a bike based on the postie bike engine/drixton aermacchi style frame. When you have a look at all the hot-up bits on the web for the CT110 chinese motors, it'd have to be fantastic fun!
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  09:43:47 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

I remember as a kid being told that big oak trees grow from little acorns.
I will do everything I can to encourage 4 stroke participation and each new bike is a step nearer to a strong class.
If you have an inclination to build a CT110 based bike please do it.
Personally I believe that 4 stroke 125s (and 250s) represent the period before the 2 strokes took over, basically what we call period 3, regardless of when they were built. But that's another of my soap box subjects.
This pre 2 stroke era needs to be represented in anything we call "historic racing".

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Edited by - john feakes on 20 Jun 2010 09:50:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  10:50:53 AM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

That's good, John. Now get down to the shed and get your bike finished !

Edited by - GD66 on 20 Jun 2010 10:51:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  8:17:55 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

G.D. my bike is in the lounge with me. That doesn't stop me from being lazy though. I am slowly getting there (I seem to have been saying that forever).
I need some of that youthful "can't wait" urgency but can't seem to find it these days. It's a bugger getting old.
Did my back some no good on Tuesday and couldn't drive so couldn't pick up my carburettor from Rex W. Should get that tomorrow and then I will get this thing fired up (I hope).
Getting there, getting there.
Watch this space.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  07:38:40 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

John, The hardest thing about racing, as we get older, is to keep the urge going. I noticed someone selling videos of old race meetings at Phillip Island a couple of years ago. That's a good way to generate enthusiasm, and should be encouraged, regardless of copyright issues.
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  10:24:58 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Absolutely agree, we need all the publicity we can get.
That's why I am trying to drum up interest now.
These days I seem to always find the enthusiasm to stir up other people but admit to being a failure at getting myself moving.
Who sells youthful vigour these days?

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

keith campbell
Level 3 Member

Victoria

248 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  11:40:50 AM  Show Profile Send keith campbell a Private Message  

So with Carbie out of hand and on the bike does this mean you have entered the Sthn Classic?

Hope to see you there going around... enthusiasm aside there is still plenty of time so get to it...

Cheers KC
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  4:33:24 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Keith, the carbie is now on the bike and I WILL GET IT RUNNING THIS WEEK (I hope).
I am certainly aiming at being there with bike, probably with L plates on it.
I think I can remember which end is the front, but can I still ride?
Broadford over the handlebars is a sight I have never seen.
Will have to sneak up there for a quiet practice.
Going there tomorrow for a meeting but won't be able to take the bike.
Such is life.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  4:37:54 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Al, were you suggesting that I should watch a video each day to generate some enthusiasm?

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

keith campbell
Level 3 Member

Victoria

248 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  8:28:30 PM  Show Profile Send keith campbell a Private Message  

Bleedin good stuff..... Tis always great to know yet another starter is rolling up.
See you there.
Cheers
kc
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2010 :  10:35:02 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

The Southern Classic 125cc Cup (for 4 stroke machines) is being produced.
Who will be the first winner?

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2010 :  12:16:25 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

grat outcome john. Thanks from the HMRAV committee for putting it up.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2010 :  7:41:14 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Perhaps you should title the trophy:
The Southern Classic 125cc Tourist Trophy, as it is primarily for four stroke machines, and in the days before 1965, most of the bikes were four strokes racing in the TT era. After the mid 60s we moved on to the GP era, and most of the bikes were two strokes. So we probably need a second trophy:
The Southern Classic 125cc Grand Prix for two strokes?

Edited by - glen20 on 02 Jul 2010 7:42:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2010 :  08:21:42 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Hopefully that situation will come about.
I am concentrating on encouraging 4 strokes as they seem to be the true "forgotten era".
Someone else can worry about the 2 strokes.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  5:21:44 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

I was accosted by Sir Al on Sunday and he expresed concern that some 125 riders may not have entered because they could believe that the 125s were being separated into period races again.
All 125s will race together so if you know of someone who has not entered please reassure them and get them to enter with some urgency.
ALL 125s WILL RACE TOGETHER REGARDLESS OF PERIOD.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2010 :  7:28:02 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

It's not that 125s were being separated, it's that in the original supp regs, 125s were in with all Period 5 bikes. Subsequently, and somewhat under the radar, 125s were relocated in a supp regs update on the HMRAV website to their hard-fought position of racing with Classic 250s and Class C, but all 125s together : this was accompanied by an apology from Toddy, so clearly the original supp regs were a ballsup.
Hopefully the information has been dispersed and all the normal bunch of 125-galloping madmen will reappear at the Southern Classic to resume hostilities : perhaps an extension to the normal cutoff for entries could be considered this once in view of the confusion, if it helps swell the ranks of the 125s...

Edited by - GD66 on 05 Oct 2010 7:29:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2010 :  1:15:44 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Unfortunately as of Wednesday the entry list consisted of 6 125s.
It seems that some, maybe many, have opted for Wakefield Park in preference to the Southern Classic because they felt let down when they received the "wrong" supp regs.
The damage was done.
125s are a legitimate part of history as are 250s, 350s and 500s.
They should be treated with the respect that their historical significance deserves.
I am very sad that this situation has occurred and feel let down.
I find myself being an apologist for someone else's stuff up.
Not happy Jan!

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

revhd
Level 2 Member

Victoria

108 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2010 :  8:53:09 PM  Show Profile Send revhd a Private Message  

John as you know i am a regular 125 rider and was looking forward to the s/c meeting as usual,, but due to personal reasons which have happened suddenly i am unable to make the meeting this year,sorry to let the rest of the 125 riders down ,i was looking forward to giving Sir Al a hurry up as usual, but as they say,,, **** happens,next time for sure....

125 alliance
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2010 :  10:30:33 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Well, for whatever reason, that was a royal stuff up.
Only 6 125s turned up and I am not happy about that.
It is time that the 125s claimed their rightful place in history.
It is the only class that has continued from the start of the world championships to the present day. That is 61 years of history, something that no other class comes near to.
Stand proud you 125 racers.
We need to recognise that the core classes of historic racing are 125, 250, 350, 500cc and sidecars.
All the others are peripheral classes.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2010 :  7:50:10 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

Calm down, son. It's not really a case of all 125 riders being given a royal slight in the face of history, it's just that the supp regs Mk 1 were a ballsup. There was a late attempt to redress the situation, but due to a shortage of lead time, inadequate communication, and a subsequent position of intractability adopted by some 125 entrants, the Southern Classic for this year had no real representation of the 125 class. I feel the absence was tangible, but we nevertheless were treated to some of the best P3 Junior racing I've ever seen, and still had a packed programme run in front of an enthusiastic crowd.
Now if we can just get the 125 group to re-establish their position with HMRAV, I'm sure in view of the club's late attempt to sort things out they will be restored to full importance when the supp regs are released next year. For what it's worth, I think if the 125 group were fair dinkum they could have sorted the thing out for this year with a few phone calls, and an ok from HMRAV to permit late entries due to the regs stuff-up.
Anyway it didn't happen, but I'm sure next year all will be well, and the 125s have got 11 months to tee up a capacity field. Including your bike, John...

Edited by - GD66 on 08 Nov 2010 7:51:13 PM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services