Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 HSB Historic Superbikes
 Current progress
 New Topic New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  10:28:21 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Thus far the financial offer still stands but nobody has offered to race with a bike configured for this group.
Do we pull the pin and send the money to the sidecars?

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  7:59:31 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Thus far the financial offer still stands but nobody has offered to race with a bike configured for this group.

Derr! Are the rules too restrictive?
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  8:01:50 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

I would have thought 90% of period 5 and period 6 would be eligible? Ask Jason if he wants a ride!
Go to Top of Page

JasonL
Level 3 Member

Victoria

240 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  03:03:43 AM  Show Profile Send JasonL a Private Message  

You may need to fill me in a little bit first?
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  09:33:04 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

If you look at the rules, they must have a specific look from the period. Most bikes today do not look as if they came from 1975, they have angled pipes, re sets lower handle basr etc.
Historic Superbikes started in the 70's with kwaka 9's, cb750 Hondas etc. the 1980 style of machine are way off the mark.
Peter Guest and Robboe Phillys would be close.
If people are not prepared to

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Edited by - john on 14 Aug 2010 10:25:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  10:38:41 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

I think the main problem here is that all it would amount to would be the existing bikes being altered to create a "new" look.
This is not going to happen.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2010 :  11:37:58 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

The thing about the Historic Superbike proposal is to ignore current machines.
It is based around new machines that newcomers may wish to build and meet the terms and conditions.
The current bikes are so far past reality of the period, thats why Historic Superbikes was drawn up.
Any machines look much different from the current batch and they include machines that generally are not ridden today because they are surpassed in technology.

HS would include Truimph triples, stock capacity Honda 750's Stock Kwaka 9's, 750 Waterbottles etc.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  09:40:36 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

You might do better promoting macines from period 5 and period 6 which are over 500cc in capacity, in one class where the big stuff can really race. I know Wally Campbell has the 1983(?) VF 750 Honda he used in the 6 hour and wants to ride. Why would you exclude him amd others like him from riding against Robbie Phillis and Wayne Gardner on bikes which are already quite fast enough to beat him? The easiest thing to do might be to extend the period 5 cutoff date to 1985, and get choosy about what 80s bikes you allow to compete? The Historic Superbikes concept is PROMOTABLE, and I'm sure it'll pull spectators, if you get the top guys competing. It could end up as something like a revived Swann Series.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  09:44:51 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

John Daley - credit where it's due - at least you're thinking about ways to improve our sport! I believe a few specialty races would greatly improve historic meetings.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  09:53:35 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

I believe Kevin Magee recently had access to an 80s machine, and is also interested in having a ride. If we can do this historic superbikes stuff, Phillip Island whith the international riders would be great in a couple of years time!
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  10:22:19 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

How about limitting the class to aircooled engined bikes over 500cc, and a 1990 cutoff date?
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  1:28:09 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

This thinking could get something up and running.
There must be bikes out there just breeding red backs simply because they have nowhere to race.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  8:38:31 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

John(s), have we been discussing the same machines? The following might interest you:

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  08:06:19 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

I don't believe most of the bikes in the video are 'past reality' They resemble what was raced around 1980.
Go to Top of Page

Doghouse Dave
Level 2 Member

Victoria

34 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2010 :  2:21:29 PM  Show Profile Send Doghouse Dave a Private Message  

Anyone know where the rules are? I cant find them.

It doesnt matter if you win or lose,its having a good time that counts.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  09:02:31 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

There was a web site especially set up for this class. I've lost the address, but John Daley knows it. The rules were put up on that site, and they didn't seem too bad.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  11:02:25 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

www.historicsuperbikes.info

But its down at the moment I will need to sort that out. I do have a et on my computer here.
Email me and I can send them.
I will try and get a set to David Greening also

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  05:13:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

The site (www.historicsuperbikes.info) had none to very little traffic for about 6 months and there was no posts in the forum since March 2009 (apart from me in December 2009 asking if anyone uses the site) so I had taken it offline in March 2010 as there was no need to keep something there that was not being used, but can quite easy put it back up when I get my full Internet backup and running (silly ISP's) next week and you say the word..

Or we can use the forum here to get a wider audience, your choice John.

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  07:23:24 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

I suggest everything depends on what we WANT to happen? We really need to decide whether Robbie Phillis and Wayne Gardner are good for our sport, and do the punters really want to see them perform on the bikes they rode back in the late 70s/early 80s? The huge crowd which gets to the January meeting at Phillip Island must mean something?
Go to Top of Page

oldonk
Level 2 Member

Australian Capital Territory

84 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  10:53:48 AM  Show Profile Send oldonk a Private Message  

I would like to se the site open.

Maybe as John mentioned once maybe his idea was too far ahead of the masses.

Edited by - oldonk on 18 Aug 2010 10:59:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

mike.johnson
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

3 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  3:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike.johnson's Homepage Send mike.johnson a Private Message  

Anyone knows rules for this? If yes please share here. Eager to know. It will be kind help.

Mike Johnson
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  4:19:24 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

You must be logged in to see this link.
has all the details.

GO FOT IT PLEASE!!!

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 19 Nov 2010 4:20:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2010 :  9:14:36 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

I see a logo for the HSB venture. It's a deceased equestrian, and beside it, a man flogging it mercilessly...
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2010 :  08:26:18 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

That maybe the case GD66, but there are people who live with hope.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.26 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services