Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 General Comments
 Container shipment cost
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  10:19:56 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I am investigating the cost of having a container sent from Perth and Brisbane to Broadford.
Does anybody have up to date costs for a return trip please

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  8:18:22 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

Around $1800 return from Perth. Would this be for MV re HBBB ?
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  8:56:37 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

No I am doing research for my club.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2010 :  10:04:06 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

No probs, just that I saw MA were offering free container transport to NZers to get them to HBBB. Now, that $1800 is the rail cost Perth-Melbourne-Perth, when you factor in the cost of a container transport to the circuit it's a bit more : the bloke with the figures at hand is in a meeting, so I'll get back with the full costs shortly. But it's not too prohibitive, we in the Wild West can get our machines to Broady or Phillip Island from Perth for around $400 per bike, good value !

EDIT : That cost is a little outdated John, but our last container trip to Broadford cost around $560 Perth-Melbourne (cheap as it's a backload), $900 for transport Melbourne freight depot to Broadford and return, and $1860 Melbourne-Perth by rail. Plus we had costs of $400 at this end running the container around. Still works out at less than $400 per bike. And may I add, both Broadford and Phillip Island are blessed with helpful, co-operative management who are only too willing to assist with container delivery access, so any other clubs wishing to transport in this way will find it a breeze.
Regards GD

Edited by - GD66 on 23 Nov 2010 10:23:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  07:14:51 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Thanks very much, how many machines did you get in, or could get in?

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 24 Nov 2010 07:15:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  08:19:44 AM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

Twenty foot container will hold up to 14 crated solos. Sidecars go on top, and ideally need to be on a forkliftable pallet and fit in sideways, taking up roughly the room of two solos.
You really need to try and get a standardised crate size (many people use R1 Yamaha version)so the crates can go in two high.

Edited by - GD66 on 24 Nov 2010 08:21:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  5:02:55 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Would it be smart to specify a particular crate and require everybody to use it.
Some may not like it, but if everybody had a standard fixture loading etc would be very easy.
What would a crate cost to make?
Any ideas about the size required?

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  7:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

If you look at shipping the container (on the water) you will find the rates a lot better than land transport. I looked into it a few years ago for the Aussie Champs in WA. The only problem is longer transit times & the need to organise local transport at the destination.
And building a mezzanine floor inside the container for stacking crates.

Bernie

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  7:25:47 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Tell me other reasons to do nothing please.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  8:55:44 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by john

Would it be smart to specify a particular crate and require everybody to use it.
Some may not like it, but if everybody had a standard fixture loading etc would be very easy.
What would a crate cost to make?
Any ideas about the size required?

As I indicated, the R1 crate is a good model. Mine's an MV crate, and ticks all the boxes. Dimensions are :

2100 long, 1180 high, 770 wide. Big enough for bike (with fairing and screen mounted), tools and riding gear. If you specify a stock set of dimensions, the crates stack two high easily, and aren't too tricky to load from being too wide. We don't use a mezzanine, just stack the crates tightly and tie them in. There's no need to pay for one, dealers will be glad to give you as many as you want.

Edit : Good tip re sea transport Bernie (or may we now call you Burnie after the Croz bio ?), this has been employed successfully from both Qld and NSW to WA with no dramas.

Edited by - GD66 on 24 Nov 2010 8:57:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  9:15:30 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Do you have a picture?

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2010 :  9:28:42 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

No
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services