Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Historic - Classic, Post Classic & F/Era Sidecars
 Sidecar Comments
 P3 sidecar brake origins
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

scotty
Level 1 Member

8 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2013 :  3:36:49 PM  Show Profile Send scotty a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hi all,I have a vincent sidecar i raced in the 80's.I've rebuilt it as raced,applied for a log book,brakes are too big.They were supposedly made & raced by Sandy Mcrae & were authentcated by photo by someone in the pits at Lakeside around '82 & passed for racing & used for 12 years.Now i have to prove they are from the period,or i can't get a log book.They are 2 10" front & 1 10" rear.Can anyone help with pics or info about these brakes?

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2013 :  2:45:05 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Taubmans Flat Black paint fixes everything.

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

scotty
Level 1 Member

8 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2013 :  08:24:18 AM  Show Profile Send scotty a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

this bike has won many races and titles in historics with these brakes.It was raced with standard Vincent brakes at first.I think i've tracked down the bloke who made the brakes for Sandy Mcrae,so we'll see.It was also a very competitive ride on speedway

The bike is eligible if i change the brakes & very authentic if i can prove the brakes to be correct,which i believe them to be.

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2013 :  7:56:24 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

How did you go with getting the log book?

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

scotty
Level 1 Member

8 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2013 :  12:10:53 PM  Show Profile Send scotty a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Can't get a new log book & can't use the old one. my passenger who did the deal for the brakes way back can't remember who who he got them off,so,can't race the bike.
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2013 :  06:26:57 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Submit the bike to the review panel. We need to get more to the start line.

Go to Top of Page

scotty
Level 1 Member

8 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2014 :  10:27:13 AM  Show Profile Send scotty a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

How do i contact the reveiw panel?
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2014 :  11:15:41 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Ask HMRAV or MA. You could always fit BSA Bantam wheels to it to get the log book, then just turn up and race it with the proper brakes in it. Stare down any idiot who bucks.

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2014 :  06:22:51 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

The reality is that the Sandy McCrae sidecar has a history - the stupid rules could mean that if the bike ever gets raced it could have lost a lot of authenticity. Nobody goes to historic race meeting to see what somebody else thinks the bikes should have looked like back in the era. If it is genuine, it is valuable. MA should get it's head straight about historic bikes. A bit of administrative flexibility could be a good thing.

Go to Top of Page

Historic
Level 2 Member

New South Wales

46 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2014 :  08:39:18 AM  Show Profile Send Historic a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Mr Acotrel,
How dare you post that a volunteer official ensuring that the rules of our sport are followed should be stared down at a race meeting. That is appalling.
The rules are set out to allow genuine period machines to compete. The only caveate is that you have to be able to prove it is as it was. Not grandads axe, but as raced.
Scotty is asking for advice on how to do exactly that, not for a simple minded speech telling him to intimidate an official.
Scotty write to the MA Historic Commission, through MA and ask the only people who can actually help get your genuine machine on the track.
Don't be influenced by people who have only ridden a key board.
Historic
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2014 :  8:12:12 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Scotte where abouts in the country are you?

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2014 :  05:03:15 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

'The rules are set out to allow genuine period machines to compete. '

The Sandy McRae outfit is genuine. Why is it being excluded by a 'one size fits all' rule ? Whatever brakes are in it now are probably what was used in the era.

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2014 :  05:05:46 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

'Don't be influenced by people who have only ridden a key board.' - or a 250cc Suzuki two stroke and immediately crashed.

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2014 :  05:09:57 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

'Scotty write to the MA Historic Commission, through MA and ask the only people who can actually help get your genuine machine on the track.'

They are as close as your phone however buy yourself a megaphone to help yourself talk to them.

Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  11:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Alan read the 1st post again carefully,the brakes were Sandy's,not Scotty's,it's as Scotty says 'as he raced from the early 80's' with these larger brakes fitted,ok then,not so now unfortunatly, so far,
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2014 :  07:48:02 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Mick, surely a major objective of historic racing is to provide the nostalgia kick. If Sandy MacRae's Vincent had 10 inch brakes back in the era, why would anyone want to make it fit modern P3 historic eligibility rules which require drum brakes of 8 inch max. diameter ? When spectators go to historic meetings they pay good money to see the real deal. If the bikes are cheaters or non-original, taking the gate money is a fraud.
Surely there must be a way that organisers of non-championship events can exercise discretion to accept a bike which is genuine, however outside the rules. Even for a championship event, the real deal should be acceptable whatever its configuration ?
The logbook thing can be a really expensive turn-off for anyone wanting to race when it is misused.

Go to Top of Page

Historic
Level 2 Member

New South Wales

46 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2014 :  08:43:24 AM  Show Profile Send Historic a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I think it important that people understand, that reading the rule book and not making assumptions is a good place to start.
Also the logbook thing as you call it, is in fact an inexpensive way of getting out there. You can ask before you build, find out if a component is deemed period or not.
I'm not sure of the details of the brake in question but from what was posted evidence has been shown that the bike is eligible for period 5 -around'82.
If there is a need for a change to the rules to allow a period component to be used then there is a process to get that done.
Historic
PS 230 mm is 9 inch not 8
Go to Top of Page

scotty
Level 1 Member

8 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2014 :  6:18:58 PM  Show Profile Send scotty a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

back in the 50/s & 60/s you run wat ya brung.why can't we have a modified or altered class so these bikes can be developed how you like.seem's to me we are held back by the rules.nobody i know can remember who had pics of my brakes on sandies bike.i/m not trying to cheat,anyone who/s seen the bike & knows me will say the same.i/d just like to ride before i/m to old.
Go to Top of Page

scotty
Level 1 Member

8 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2014 :  6:25:52 PM  Show Profile Send scotty a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

what happened to the bob jarvis trahpy?
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2014 :  8:52:20 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

We do have a class for modified or altered machines, its called MODERN.
Ok lets get to see the bike in a photo or two so we know what machine we are talking about.
Is it a Period 3 machine or a period 5 machine with a vincent motor.
What style are the brakes drum or disc, that will help as well.
Further I asked easrlier about where you are so we may be able to help on the ground,.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

scotty
Level 1 Member

8 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2014 :  08:33:57 AM  Show Profile Send scotty a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Been away for a while.I'm in Newcastle.The out fit is all Vincent,frame ,tank,girdraulic forks,bolt on sidecar,drum brakes,everything is pre-62.
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2014 :  04:47:02 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

'We do have a class for modified or altered machines, its called MODERN.
Ok lets get to see the bike in a photo or two so we know what machine we are talking about.
Is it a Period 3 machine or a period 5 machine with a vincent motor.
What style are the brakes drum or disc, that will help as well.
Further I asked easrlier about where you are so we may be able to help on the ground,. '

If John gives you the OK, you are in with your modern bike, even if the frame is made out of square tube. Further What are Period 3 and Period 5 ? It's a Vincent which was raced in the era in it's current form.

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  06:20:33 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

What has this got to do with motorcycle racing ? Been here, looked and I'm going somewhere else. I think I should sell my bikes to the New Zealanders. This is rubbish.

Edited by - acotrel on 01 May 2014 06:25:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

bigdazoz
Level 1 Member

Victoria

14 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2014 :  08:49:01 AM  Show Profile Send bigdazoz a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

acotrel Posted - 01 May 2014 : 06:20:33 AM
What has this got to do with motorcycle racing ?
Been here, looked and I'm going somewhere else. I think I should sell my bikes to the New Zealanders. This is rubbish.
acotrel Posted - 17 Apr 2014 : 04:47:02 AM

Acotrel: re you going somewhere else....why not to the race track?

You must be logged in to see this link.

Ill be keeping my eye out for you across many many motorcycle forums, and will be posting my offer and your as usual full of poo postings...

id ask any one else that's read this, and sees Acotrel /Alan posting anywhere else on any forums to post a link with an apologies for referring their users to another site to the offer made to Acotrel...

you will be held to account from now on...........
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  10:38:15 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Scotts sidecar is actually a Classic period machine dirt track style, built in the '80s. Wire wheels bolt on sidecar to a Vincent frame.
Certainy it was raced in the '80s and now I see why it can't be accepted for "historic " racing.
If it never racing in the period or a similair machine with those brakes did not race in the period upto 1963, then the brakes don't comply .
The fact it raced in the '80s will not alter the rules for a bike that would compete in the Classic period if it raced at an Historic motorcycle event.
But there has been a recent change to brake rules and you may be able to put a waterbottle drum in, BUT CHECK FIRST.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services