Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Promotion of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 The Harvie Wiltshire Memorial Trophy Race
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  2:42:48 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

Since its introduction in 1951 the Harvie Wiltshire has become one of the most prestigious trophies on the national road racing scene.
One of the features of this event is that it is not limited to any particular class of racing machinery. All types of solo racing motorcycles from 250cc to 1000cc are eligible. This unusual format with fields consisting of competitive bikes from many classes and capacities often provides unexpectedly close racing action.
Next February 18th + 19th, for the 55th year this event will be held.
..... How does this now "classic" one race format for modern machines sit with todays classic riders.

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2005 :  8:09:29 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

Maurie Quincey won the first in 1951 - other winners include Owen Archibald, Trevor Pound, John Maher, Greg Hansford, Andrew Johnson, Rob Phillis, Daryl Beattie, Peter Guest, Shannon Johnson [AJ's son] etc etc
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2005 :  7:32:44 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I actually competed in the Harvie Wiltshire in the 60s, however I cannot remember the format. I believe it was only one of the few meetings that actually ran a 500cc (senior) class, which suited my Triumph.
I'm interested in alternatives which might be used in Historic/Classic bike racing. I seem to remember the Australian TT was big, back then. Again I cannot remember the format. How about an international event - the Australian Historic TT ? We might be able to ****** a few Poms to come and have a go?

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  9:02:28 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

We are really keen during January to get displays going in some of Melbourne Bike Shops with as many of the bikes from the past that we can get. If you have a bike that has appeared in a Harvie Wiltshire - please make contact. Thanks for your help.
Patrick
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  05:45:32 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Who was Harvie Wiltshire?

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Site Moderator

National

599 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  05:58:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Allan's Homepage Send Allan a Private Message  

uncle of harvie norman
Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  1:31:58 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

This is copied from notes that have been printed in the offical programmes over the past 20/50 years....

........ Harvie Wiltshire was a member of the Preston Motorcycle Club during the 1940s. Following his death in a road accident his widow donated a perpetual trophy in his memory, to be competed for annually by Australia's top riders. The magnificent Harvie Wiltshire trophy is usually presented by the previous year's winner and is kept by the victorious competitor for one year. The race winner also receives a miniature replica of the trophy...

The trophy is a real work of art by the silversmith who made it and is on display at Red Wing Honda, Bell Street [2005 winner, A Gobert]
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  08:38:36 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Wot about running a retro Australian TT ? They used to be the event of the year. Always r an over 6 laps on the circuit where they werre held.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.13 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services