Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Future Race Meetings
 Historic Broadford
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2007 :  8:08:48 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

This is a project I have been working on for some years.
It will run entirely independant of the HMRAV of which I am the secretary so please DO NOT THINK IT WILL BE RUN BY THE HMRAV.

The basic concept is to run a Hill climb event at Broadford Road race with a mixture of vehicles, 2, 3 and 4 wheeled.
There are a large number of motorcycle powered 3 and 4 wheel machines, Morgans and Coopers etc.
The plan revolves around a regularity based hill climb for only old machines, no modern stuff. The cars, pre- 1920 - pre war with a prefernce for none racing machines will run on the hill climb, 2 wheel bikes which may also include red plated bikes and specials may enter the regularity event, Historic log booked bikes, up to 1972 only may actually hold a timed sprint or even a 4 lap race.
Any era sidecar may enter possibly handicap races or the hill climb depending on the teams wishes.
The purpose of the event is to see and hear very old engines, bikes and cars working. The aim is to attract machines that would not normally go to a race meeting. I would expect the pits to be more interesting than the track and I reckon I would have created a successful event if I could attract De Dion Bouton cars to do the hill climb. T model fords etc would be great.
The whole event revolves around participation, only the bikes and sidecars would actually race and any car will fit into tight restrictions of weight, size etc.
Later I will create a web site specifially for it so we can focus on it.
David can I talk with you about that. The overall fund raising benefit will be to creat a Motorcycle Racing Museum at Broadford if it gets the support of the MV executive.
The event will still be at least 12 months away.
But I am keen to have fedback and ideas.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  10:48:00 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Hi John. This idea has my full support. Perhaps talk to CAMS to get in touch with the car side of it. Garth Rhodes, is he still around? Had a formula 3 type of car and some old bikes. The biggest problem I can see is going to be getting the message out. We are too much of a secret society. However I am working on this and hopefully will manage to turn on a light or two. Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  11:23:07 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I have been in close discussion with CAMS for a hill climb.
I will create web sites and use my promotion skills I have tried in the past. I expect to use web sites and email as the basis of promotion, with clever newspaper aricles and notes to clubs as well.
I see the biggest issue being ignorance of the concept and that is where I will need help in making sure the description is realistic.
Sprints are often in a straight line and the powerful bike wins.
Bent sprints require greater machine skills etc to get a result and I hope with good timing systems and TV screens we can generate excitement during the day.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  1:53:49 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Maybe the Historic management Committee could take the management of this event over.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  9:54:06 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

I think they had an event very similar at Broadford today John.
F3 cars, lots of old bikes and older riders and very old but healthy spectators.
This event was magic and I think everyone in the big crowd enjoyed every minute.
There are lots of news items and photos on the MA site.
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  09:03:42 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Couldn't agree more Patrick. The Little River turnout and now the Broadford turnout clearly demonstrate that the interest is there.
Perhaps we should all work closely with M.A. to do it again next Easter, to make it even bigger and better. We have a whole year to refine the ideas.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  10:10:06 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

Sorry we could not spend more time with Nicole and the superb coffee John, but it was a great weekend.
Around 350 plus signed in from 85km south of Hobart to around Rockhampton which is a long way up north ... think this show could be a winner for years to come.
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2009 :  08:15:04 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Patrick, no apology is necessary, at least we had a few minutes which was a pleasure for me. I think it is the first time I have seen you actually looking relaxed.
England has Goodwood and now we have Broadford. I reckon that if we all work together it will grow into something really special. Anyone got a spare stately home?
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  8:23:54 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I will not complain if any good idea comes on the calendar.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2009 :  9:51:25 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

Its about 50% who want the event to move away from Easter but a very strong pole from this years attendees from out of state say that they could not make the trip unless it was at Easter.
Victorians have so much to pick from that you would be hard pressed to get a solid indication - I think that Easter 2010 may get the nod.
Just my 2cents worth
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  10:05:09 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Well, my hand is up for Easter 2010.
I think that Easter is ideal, it is a four day break which should give plenty of time for other things as well as the serious bike stuff.
And for anyone still in doubt, the Easter bunny does not hatch from a chocolate egg. Sorry.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2009 :  12:16:30 AM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

Easter 2010 is all go for the Honda BBB.
I have been lucky enough to see who has been invited.
You have got to plan to be in Broadford this coming Easter.
Cheers
Patrick
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services