Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Honda CB350 Racers Promotion
 CB350 Think tank
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 3

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2008 :  10:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  

Hi Rosko,if your'e going to be based in Sydney,you might join PCRA (post classic racing association),or a smaller club like MCRC,in order to obtain a MA racing licence,if your'e running A CB350 here,theres plenty to do,PCRA has club rounds at least every 2nd month,also promotes major meetings,also quite a few interstate meetings within a days drive along the east coast,mostly south at the moment!,reguarding 350 numbers,P3(post classic)in NSW mostly 1/2 dozen Yamahas,couple Suzi's,3-4 K series twins,1-2 350/4's,the odd Ducati,Aermacchi,Bultaco,pretty much the same numbers in most of the eastern states i guess,when combined National title races the numbers are pretty impressive,but tend to be combined with period 2 350's(classics)for non title races as at the coming Island Classic to keep the numbers up!,(spectator interest??),you will get the hang of it,it's not too painful a process,hth,cheers
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2008 :  10:36:10 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I did not talk with Oldonk to have you blokes turn down a great concept.

I see no reason whatsoever for you blokes to say it too late to run stockers.
In fact that was the idea I had in the first place to attract more riders to ride CB350 Hondas.
I am surprised you have been given a great idea from the Yank, which is obviously working and now decide its "too late".
Now is the time to work out how you can fix things to copy the yankee program, gain more riders and make a real success of CB350 Honda racing and race against 10 or 15 bikes.

I challenge you to sort it out and set something up.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2008 :  10:43:24 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Rosco, I would love to talk with you about racing classes and ideas. Also, did I pick up you may come over here?
If so I have been working on a plan to help west coast riders from USA and Canada to get help here via house billeting, sharing trailers and utes and general no cost assistance. Of course the price may be to ride as a passenger on osme of the new outfits we are getting going.
Seriuosly we have been trying to open doors to even help riders with loaner bikes. So conatct me and I will expand the concept.
Maybe we could even ask David to create a " Foreigh Riders" forum to promote it and have overseas riders express an interst which my group could then respond to. Also, it would be a place where aussies could volunteer to be part of the program. What do others think?

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  5:37:05 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I got talking to a few of the boys with Cb350 hondas and also some 400's at the 2008 Island Classic. They were interested about the concept , but most had mods taht would not meet the USA based rules. But they were keen to hear from others about continuing with discusions. Some of them do not have computers so I guess they will hear through the grape vine.

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 29 Jan 2008 09:16:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

~ROSKO~
Level 1 Member

USA

9 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2008 :  12:54:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit ~ROSKO~'s Homepage Send ~ROSKO~ a Private Message  

I'll have to keep this response short as I'm late for work!

IF there is interest the class could be phased in, grandfather in the chassis' of the bikes running now and require the new bikes to follow the newer rules. If all the 350's agree it's just a matter of swapping in a stock engine. If not everyone agrees the modified could run a GP class and the stockers a FORMULA class, run 'em together 2 wave start.

Yes, I will be spending time in the sunburnt country, when? Not quite sure yet.

The foreign rider exchange program idea sounds great, I'm not sure how many vintage racers from either country would use it. We could certainly find a bike for a traveling Aussie to run if one were to come visit!

That brings up a license issue, would an FIM international license be accepted with your groups/ clubs? We allow guests to run with us, we have had japanese, irish, canadian and european racers visit and race. I'll inquire as to the specifics of our clubs policy.

... off to work. More to follow!

Born to lurk, forced to work.

www.NYCvinMoto.com
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2008 :  07:48:04 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

OK fellas, have we kindled the start of a new era for CB350cc Hondas.
You have all seen the benefit sidecars obtained by promotiuon and joint action, the bottom line is do you want to race in big fields/
Can you let me know, so I can help, otherwise the opportunity will be lost and I shall work , try to work with another group and that may be the 250cc Ossa brigade who have expressed an interset to promote themselves.
Thanks for reading and providing feedback.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  8:29:47 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

You are kidding this time, aren't you John ? Ossas ? Murray Grant races one in WA, the rest I've seen in roadracing round Australia total ZERO. How many Aus-Superbike-specific starters have put their hands up that aren't already Period 4/5 runners ? And after the big push to get 27 sidecar entrants for Phillip Island ( and thanks to all who did lob, well done)you now have 4 starters for the Vic champs.
I appreciate that you have the best of intentions in pushing these barrows, but really mate, I think you should do a little more research/homework before firing up and attempting to kick people into action.
This is merely an observation, and not a criticism of what you've done for the HMRAV in particular, and sidecar racing in general. As you know, I'm a fan of both.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2008 :  08:58:47 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Actually there is a small group of about 4 Ossa's in Vic. One very fast one from memory is Terrry Morris on his 250cc owned by Bruce from Geelong.
They actually approached me to ask about the promotion plan, because they reckon Ossa's are should be the racer of choice for everybody.

As for HSB Superbike the plan has slowed down, but since it relys on one person to attract the back ground finincial support it is taking time. More than I hoped.
But the support is there and I think it may be a year before it is all finalised.

Still the alternative is worse, do nothing and be sure then of achieving nothing.

As for research, I take your point, but generally I wait until people approach me with adesire to race against more peole but dont know waht to do.
The research then consists of going out and asking via a site like this.

I am not prepared to do more research than that because its a thankless job.
I feel it is best to simply alert people that there is a small group interested and leave the rest to them to show their own enthusism.

Essentially, most racers expect somebody else to find more racers.
I am deliberately trying to prove that the racers theselves need to take that action.

Doug Hicks, the HMRAC VP is the one doing the chatter.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  9:49:03 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

Quite right John, I was overlooking Terry Morris's little rocket, I should have recalled it as he mowed me down on the last lap at Mt Gambier (gag, retch). Re the stock-engined CB350 class, it may have been received with more vigour in the 80s, when parts for them were plentiful and cheap : not the case these days, certainly on this side anyway
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2008 :  10:35:44 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Well Rosco seems to report good results from North America, and they are not living in the 80's.
It may not finish up a stock class, privately I think there should be rstrictions to keep the million dollar bike out, say, carby restrictor or something. The closewr bikes are in performance the greater the chnace of numbers increasing.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

~ROSKO~
Level 1 Member

USA

9 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  02:36:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit ~ROSKO~'s Homepage Send ~ROSKO~ a Private Message  

My apologies for the absence!

It may take a few seasons to implement. At some point the current 350 racers will be faced with the inevitable costly engine re-build. Then, with the option to either run a stock motor & carbs or re-build another costly 50hp motor I'm sure more people will be considering the stock class.

Let it simmer, it took a while for for the class to build up here. Each year more and more riders join the ranks. This season is shaping up to have the biggest turnout yet with 15-20 racers at the smaller events and grids of up to 40 for the large national events.

I will be in Australia later this year and would love to discuss this further, if anyone has any direct questions feel free to shoot me an e-mail. I'm no expert, just a dirty seppo who would love to see this great class in Aus!

www.NYCvinMoto.com
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  07:34:40 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

beaudy

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Honda CB350 Racers Promotion - Moderator

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2008 :  10:16:15 PM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  

Hi All,

I am still not convinced that any sort of "stock" class would work here with CB350s. I don't think the cost of re-building a full race motor (providing it is not totally stuffed) would be that different from building a safe and reliable stocker. I know which way I would be going.

This site does a great job promoting 350s, as Mick as said before, just look at the number of hits compared to other threads. As I have mentioned before, I have little time to contribute to active promotion, but support the cause through my creation of the saga thread and trying to campaign my bike as much as the wallet will allow.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

~ROSKO~
Level 1 Member

USA

9 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2008 :  01:44:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit ~ROSKO~'s Homepage Send ~ROSKO~ a Private Message  

quote:
I don't think the cost of re-building a full race motor (providing it is not totally stuffed) would be that different from building a safe and reliable stocker.

You ARE kidding right? To make what is arguably one of the most reliable engines ever made MORE reliable might cost some money. But then it wouldn't be 'stock' would it? Think you can find a way to spend $$ on your engine in a class with rules like this?:

" 1. Stock Engines with 5% overbore limit. No internal modifications.
2. External gearing changes, sprockets and counter-sprockets, are permitted
3. Drum brakes required. May use aftermarket brake shoe linings, including but not limited to appropriate racing compounds are permitted.
4. Stock Carburetors are required and shall not be overbored, Air boxes may be removed or modified, aftermarket air filters are permitted.
5. Exhaust system may be changed. Aftermarket exhaust systems and silencers are permitted.
6. Cam chain tensioners may be updated.
7. Electronic ignitions are allowed.
8. Clip-ons, aftermarket handlebars such as clubman, straight bars or dragbars are permitted.
9. All street equipment such as turn indicators, headlight, taillight, side-stand and kick stand shall be removed.
10. Stock frames and swingarms only. Aftermarket steering head bearings and swing-arm bushings are permitted.
11. 35mm maximum fork tube diameter
12. The motorcycle shall otherwise be 'stock'. Any modifications not specifically listed above shall not be permitted."

If you can compare the price of building up a stock motor to a 'built' one I'd like to know where you get your parts!

www.NYCvinMoto.com
Go to Top of Page

oldonk
Level 2 Member

Australian Capital Territory

84 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2008 :  08:18:58 AM  Show Profile Send oldonk a Private Message  

NUmber of hits does not relate to numbers of bikes on the track. That is the only true test of the popularity of a class. Yes, the saga is interesting, but the idea of getting more 350 Hondas on the track is of greater interest to me.

It could be that somebody else is prepared to help get bikes on the track.
The sidecars did it and I hear John Daley is getting ready to crow about sidecars being the biggest single group of machines soon. 3-4 years ago there were so few they did not get a race at the Island Classic.

So lets find somebody who can and wants to promote.
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2008 :  1:15:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by GD66

Quite right John, I was overlooking Terry Morris's little rocket, I should have recalled it as he mowed me down on the last lap at Mt Gambier (gag, retch). Re the stock-engined CB350 class, it may have been received with more vigour in the 80s, when parts for them were plentiful and cheap : not the case these days, certainly on this side anyway

geezas John,pay more attention,last time i looked, Bruce/Terry's ossa was a Montesa,Glen your'e right theres one ossa in WA,now theres one really noisy one turned up at last years sth classic,i think it was at island classic too,(well,i could hear it!!),Peter Forkes rides a ossa (sorry) Montesa too!anyone else??,
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2008 :  1:52:20 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Correction accepted.
I thought Ossa's and Bultaco all can out of the same drum.
Can you teach me the difference?

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Honda CB350 Racers Promotion - Moderator

Victoria

288 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  11:19:27 AM  Show Profile Send Ben a Private Message  

Hi All,

Rosko, it all comes down to what you are happy racing. Within the limits you describe, the only cost differences I can see between a stock and race motor are a decent race cam and bigger carbs.

For example, most people would build to the limits that the class would allow, this means oversize pistons (5%), good ignition, race pipes, new valves/guides/springs, new cam chain tensioner set-up etc etc, the same things you would perform on a 'proper' racer!

I am not trying to shoot the idea down, and as most people here know I am new to this game, however the problem in a large part is population, we (Club K) believe there are only about 6 cb350s racing in the whole country, maybe they just seem prominent? At any one meet, you are only likely to see 2-3 max, about the same number as Norton Manxes! In the States, bigger population = more bikes available and more riders. A different situation all together to here.

Anyway, as said earlier, I am happy to promote CB350s and actively do so already. We cannot compare this effort to sidecars, you can build a sidecar out of just about anything, to build a cb350, you need a CB350! They are around of course, but not in the numbers people believe they are.

Lets promote the activity in general, without focus on a particular bike, and support those that express interest with resources, networks, tech advice and enthusiasm. This is the only way to get more people racing in classics.

Also, no more mud slinging/snide comments everyone. We are all here to contribute, being an Ahole just forces people away.

Try Everything
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  11:56:51 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

It is my belief simply from reports that there are in fact are plenty of CB350's around. Have I been mislead?
Because that is one of the reasons I thought would help the proposal.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2008 :  9:30:57 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

As I mentioned John, there used to be in the late 80s, now they are pretty thin on the ground. My point proven. Noel Clutterbuck built 6 or 7 in the late 80s in WA to kick post-classic racing along, many of these disappeared but there are still 5 or so racing during the year in WA, however most of these riders are aware that they will be flogged by Yamahas if they travel to the nats, Phillip Island etc so tend to stay local. There are still plenty about in sheds, but most will never be seen again. For the rest of us, we tend to plug on knowing that at the bigger meetings, the more we push the Yamahas, the shorter their wick becomes over the weekend, so we chase and hope. Sure, they are a bit of a porker, but in terms of bang for your buck, they've given a lot of club racers a lot of pleasure. And with Eddie Lauder and Bob Humphreys still entering genuine rockets, the rest of us have something to aspire to. But I maintain that the impetus of an influx of newbies via the CB350, is long gone.
Happy to be proven wrong, of course.....
Go to Top of Page

oldonk
Level 2 Member

Australian Capital Territory

84 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  10:13:49 AM  Show Profile Send oldonk a Private Message  

You blokes are missing the point. Get flogged by Yamahas.
Only one person can win, why not just go out and ride hard and do what you can with what you have.
Too many people dont even start racing because they cant get a bike that will win.
I reckon we are lucky those poncses dont turn up.

It is a rubbish argument you need to have a Yamaha so you can win.

If you are seriuos about just going out, riding hard and trying to beat a couple of others on similair machines you will enjoy the weekend.

I think John was right when he mentioned to me that people are full of excuses as to why they dont go racing. He encourages me to find real racers outside existing racing fraternities to get them on board, just as is happenning with sidecars in Victoria.

Bikes are out there to be found. I hear racers say they have 3 or 4 wrecks laying around.
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  6:46:49 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

This is a circular argument/discussion Oldonk, but if you bothered to research the results from the Island Classic and the Nats, you will find that you in fact DO need a Yamaha to win P4 Junior. This is not to undervalue the efforts of Keith Campbell on Eddie Lauder's TAB K4, or indeed WA's oldest teenager Bob Humphreys, but it's a little disconcerting to have your nose buried in the tank down the front at Phillip Island, and have a meth-gobbling TR3 steam by with 20 mph and more to spare.
But that hasn't stopped me travelling east to race, I've finished 7th and first Honda at Phillip Island, had a 6th and second Honda at the nationals at Mt Gambier, and also been over for race meetings at Broadford and Winton, not obsessed by the win but because if you pull finger, you never know who you can nail : just ask the RD400-riding boys from Deniliquin Yamaha about our weekend-long battles at Broadford. The fact remains that getting a CB350 Honda up and running competitively is no longer the cakewalk it was, and until you try it yourself Oldonk, I suggest you park up your monologue

Edited by - GD66 on 07 May 2008 6:48:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2008 :  10:57:03 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I think oldonk is in the money.
The idea of promoting CB350 is to encourage blokes to have fun against otherr CVB350, not Yamahas.
It is not a circular argument, some people accept they are happy to just try in the early days to just try and beat somebody else or even their own lap times.
That is what thsi topic is about, helping blokes race at the other end of the field and still feel they have had a grerat time doing so.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

~ROSKO~
Level 1 Member

USA

9 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  9:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit ~ROSKO~'s Homepage Send ~ROSKO~ a Private Message  

John, Mick, Ben and everyone else... I am in Sydney for a few weeks and would love to meet up and talk shop. I hope to attend the Feb. 22 races at Wakefield Park as a spectator to get a feel for the way y'all run things. Anyone interested in kicking tires and talking shop feel free to drop me an email: rosko(aht)nycvinmoto(doht)com

www.NYCvinMoto.com
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2009 :  9:25:17 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

If you've already landed Rosko, you'd best get your clacker on a plane to Melbourne and go to the Phillip Island Classic on Jan 23-25. Then you'll see some action ! If it's not possible, then please enjoy your stay, don't worry too much about the temperature, and above all keep your fluids up !!
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  10:22:49 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Rosko, call me on 03 9888 4387 the club phone. We are in melbourne though about 900 km south of where you are.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic   
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services