Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Forgotten Era
 HMRAV follows the GCR's
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2010 :  2:23:39 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

In the topic relating to the new rule changes, somebody made mention that the rules only apply to National Championships.

That is not the way my club sees it. many years ago all sorts of problems ocurred with teh "Queensalnd interpretaion" where bikes had been racing under local rules only to get into trouble elsewhere.

The HMRAV follows the GCR's because that is the only 'Fair way " to deal with everybody.

It is none sensical to treat the system any otherway.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  08:23:46 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Just because the GCRs specify championship classes in 'periods' that doesn't mean HMRAV has to run the same boring format at every historic meeting. How about some 'invitation' feature races? Or an Australian Historic TT and GP?
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  10:34:47 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

We atually run a 600 p5 solo class, an 836 sidecar class, 750 push rod class.
Evidence from big crowds and happy racers is thay they do not find it boring.
I am sorry a few think it is, but your club could run an alternative if they chose.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  03:07:53 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

What periods does the 750cc pushrod class cater for, and how often do you run it? How many 60s and 70s 750cc twin cylinder fourstrokes do you get to your meetings. Do they ever race together with those from period 3? What a load of BULL!!
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  09:09:50 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

John Daley, we've had this discussion previously with no appreciable outcome! If the GCRs are the way to regulate historic racing, perhaps it's time we put all the 1100cc CB750s in period 4, into period 5 races, leaving period 4 to develop in a reasonable way. I don't begrudge Rex making a dollar, his bikes are beautiful examples of mid70s AMA superbikes. But they are out of character in period 4.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  10:26:26 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

i dont see a problem anywhere.
1100cc Hondas are racing in the unlimited class.
750cc Hondas can run in the 750cc Class its easy.
The push rod motors run within the existing race structure.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  6:36:43 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

'The push rod motors run within the existing race structure.' So you are saying my Period 4 Commando engined bike can race the Nortons and Triumphs from Period 3 in the pushrod 750 class? Hooray, we have a breakthrough!!
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  6:39:24 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Or are you saying there is a 'pushrod 750 class' in Period 3, another in Period 4, and another in Period 5?
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  6:42:27 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

'i dont see a problem anywhere.
1100cc Hondas are racing in the unlimited class.
750cc Hondas can run in the 750cc Class its easy.
The push rod motors run within the existing race structure.'

AND THEY ALL RUN OFF THE SAME GRID IN THEIR RESPECTIVE PERIODS?
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  6:45:21 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

''i dont see a problem anywhere.' Neither do I, except for the entry fee I have to pay to do this bullsh1t!
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  7:35:55 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

I can see why this site doesnt attract new contributors
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  9:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

From what I seen in the early stages of this topic, John was pointing out that the HMRAV follows the GCR's and there is no need to go off topic, if you want to report about the HMRAV and them following the GCR's, then post it here, not something that is not related to the original topic.

Alan C, I do not understand why you needed 4 replies to the one (1) reply that John gave. You also need to calm down with your aggressiveness towards others. Consider it a warning.

Alan W,

We have been though this in the past, what 1 does is not the thoughts of the rest of the users on this site. The vote was there in the early piece of Alan C, but I was asked to give him a chance. The warning is issued to him now.

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

oldonk
Level 2 Member

Australian Capital Territory

84 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2010 :  08:44:15 AM  Show Profile Send oldonk a Private Message  

Thanks David it was becoming repetative.

Edited by - oldonk on 16 Jan 2010 08:45:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2010 :  09:35:15 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Is not the purpose of a forum like this to encourage discussion about how to improve our sport?
If discussion is restricted to only those who's opinions are agreeable then there is no point in discussing anything.
Having said that I do think, A.C., that you should concentrate your efforts on building yourself a bike that can actually compete in one of the existing classes. You will find it far more rewarding than trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
I agree with you that things are not perfect and could be improved, but it is not going to happen until someone offers an alternative.
Racing can only be conducted to accommodate the bikes that actually compete.
I have reached the conclusion that I can't change the world on my own.
If I can get 25 people with 4 stroke 125s we will be able to have a separate class for them but while there are only 3 or 4 they have to fit in with what is on offer. Your Norton is in the same situation.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2010 :  10:06:36 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

I get extremely frustrated when I see my Norton sitting in the shed, and I know if I bring it out, it will always end up well down the field in any historic race. It's a very good bike, and in the races of it's day would have been very competitive in a Formula 750 class. When I look at the current 'period' historic races, in every class there are similar fourstroke 750 twins which would race well against it. I'm not asking for much. Whenever HMRAV combine the BEARS in their meetings, they all run together. Heritage BEARS should become a recognised Historic class. If HMRAV ran it separately at their meetings, it would attract all the old British twin cylinder sh1t heaps. Enough said !!!!! This is the last time I'll raise this subject and I'll probably sell the Seeley Norton off overseas.
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2010 :  10:44:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

Alan - why not just ride it? There ain't any prize money (-except at the Barry Sheene). You can always see if you can better your own lap time if you can't find anyone doing similar lap times. I'll ride it if you are looking for a rider! :-)
Bernie
PS Hooray for John Feekes.

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2010 :  10:48:24 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

just bring it out and race it.
When you meet the racers then talk them into something else.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2010 :  12:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

Yes John it is the purpose of this forum to encourage discussion about how to improve our sport, but not to "hijack" someone else's topic. That is why users are able to create their own topics and run with them.
quote:
Originally posted by john feakes

Is not the purpose of a forum like this to encourage discussion about how to improve our sport?
If discussion is restricted to only those who's opinions are agreeable then there is no point in discussing anything.

Discussion is not restricted to only those who's are agreeable, but again, not at hijacking others topics with stuff that is not a part of that topic. If we was like that, we would of locked the new account of Alan C a long time ago.

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

OldKwak
Level 2 Member

Victoria

156 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2010 :  1:46:22 PM  Show Profile Send OldKwak a Private Message  

Alan,

You and I have had this discussion before, ride the Norton and if you can't, get someone who can. Its too good to leave rotting in the shed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services