Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Future Race Meetings
 BEARS to race at HMRAV?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

JasonL
Level 3 Member

Victoria

240 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  2:30:00 PM  Show Profile Send JasonL a Private Message  

I heard 4th hand the other day that HMRAV may have BEARS run one of their rounds at a HMRAV event next year. That's a sound idea if it's true, however it raises some interesting questions for me:

1/ These are modern bikes, yet HMRAV has made it clear in no uncertain terms that modern bikes (seemingly of any ilk) are off the menu.

2/ One of the reasons given for the lack of interest in P6 is because the race program is already full.

3/ Which makes one wonder how the race program will accommodate BEARS where it can't fit P6

4/ Since NSW is down to 2 tracks, PCRA have made a decision to do an interstate round each year and have already booked Broadford for Oct 2-3 this year. Perhaps HMRAV already approached PCRA at some point, since they would seem a much more complementary club by which to share an event???

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  3:07:03 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Jason, BEARS have run with HMRAV in the past and may well do so again, as guests.
I think that it is much easier to make room for a couple of BEARS races than to accommodate a whole new era.
Perhaps J.D. will clarify the situation for you.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

revhd
Level 2 Member

Victoria

108 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  7:47:09 PM  Show Profile Send revhd a Private Message  

John it is more than a couple of races,from memory they had 3 races a day plus separate practice sessions.
jason is right why the problem with period p6, but bears are OK? seems to be about money to me,they had a good entry with about 15 bikes who took up most of the pit bays.
Support p6 its historic racing instead...

125 alliance
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2010 :  09:21:06 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

I think it is simply a case of not enough hours in a day.
The decision was made that P6 would run with the modern clubs so they won't miss out. They are already part of the modern meetings as they are not, as yet, ratified as an historic class.
With the current periods we already have too many classes to cater for, hence the combined grids that led to all the drama with 125s being put in danger.
Anyway, the discussion is about BEARS and whether they will run at an HMRAV meeting in 2011.
I don't know.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Edited by - john feakes on 22 Jul 2010 09:23:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  10:02:19 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Jason, The first historic meeting the BEARS ran at was the 2003 Historic Championships at Winton! I was told there would be a backlash to running the BEARS Championship concurrently. That never happened. The backlash was about the usual jealousies we get in motorcycling. BEARS have run at several historic meetings since then, and have helped make meetings economically viable! You've complained about the cost of hiring Winton,yet something which increases the number of entries, you question!
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  11:11:44 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

John Daley, what percentage of the profit from a meeting at Broadford, do the BEARS contribute when they run, and how does that compare with the track hire fees? And what is the comparison, if they don't run? Please tell Jason what's involved in running a meeting, and keeping a club in the black! He obviously wants to get into administration of motorcycle sport!
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  7:18:02 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

No need to dump on the guy, his points are valid and bear explanation. If you're planning to get huffy with everybody that comes on here looking for discussion, you might want to delineate what you've done for the sport lately....
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  11:13:06 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

I spend the first tuesday of every month sitting in a cold meeting room trying to help a bunch of kids run an MX track. I've also attended half a dozen meetings with the local council trying to get a grant to build club rooms, and prepared and revised the documentation several times. I've prepared press releases to get new members.
What do you do with YOUR spare time?
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  11:15:19 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

There is no explanation needed as to why the BEARS run at an historic meeting. You need entries to justify the overheads, what are YOU doing to help?
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  11:37:37 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

Well for a start, I travel east from Perth twice a year for the Southern Classic and the Island Classic, PUT IN AN ENTRY and race. I'm also vice-president of our historic roadrace club, a competitor in local vintage motocross, am a level 2 MA steward and clerk of course in both roadracing and motocross, have been on the organising committee for the last two historic nationals held at Wanneroo,wrote up the 2008 meeting race report for the Old Bike Australasia magazine, commentate local historic roadraces and motocross, and do on-track commentary for the MCRC of WA for their modern state rounds plus the Kings of Wanneroo International. And I'm in bike club meetings three Wednesday nights of each month.
Really don't have time for too much more, but thanks for asking...

Edited by - GD66 on 01 Aug 2010 08:01:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

JasonL
Level 3 Member

Victoria

240 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  2:37:35 PM  Show Profile Send JasonL a Private Message  

Alan, I tell you one thing you are doing for the sport - putting people off it. I see your patter on every forum from Team Mad Dog to Preston and everywhere in-between. If you had read my email carefully, and seen my other related P6 comments elsewhere on this forum, you might engage more thoughtfully on the matter. I know what's involved in running a meeting, because I go to them. I'm in them. I don't care if BEARS or buckets or anything you like run with HMRAV, I was curious as to what I perceived as an inconsistency in views about P6. Alan you create your own vicious and ever-decreasing circles. If you hadn't made such outlandish comments elsewhere, I would not have felt compelled to take you to task, which you then take as a cue for verbal retaliation. I won't be drawn into that, so farewell.
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  4:05:45 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

O.K. guys, enough of this bull****, we are here to promote and encourage participation in our sport.
This petty bickering is what I would expect from young schoolgirls, not grown men.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  9:28:38 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Jason, my responses to you have been about your comment regarding track hire fees. I believe it currently costs about $6000 per day to hire the better circuits. If there are 150 entries, doesn't that return about $25000 even without any spectator involvement? Do you still believe you are being overcharged? I don't know where you were coming from with this stuff?
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  9:32:20 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

I suggest it's important to get the meeting finances into perspective. It costs about $30,000 to televise a meeting using 5 cameras. While we're thinking small, the sport will dwindle.
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  10:56:17 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

Are you for real ? Jason's never questioned the costs, he's asked how Bears can be squeezed into a race programme that is already allegedly too tight to fit in Period 6. Give it up, mate.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2010 :  08:11:14 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Glen, Jason recently questioned the costs of track hire at Winton in another post. The simple fact is that the overheads must be justified at any meeting by the number of entries. I really believe what he is on about, is that he believes there is a trade-off between Period 6 and the BEARS, and that they are competing for track time at historic meetings. If you go to any historic meeting, you'll see races with less than 10 bikes, while the grid is usually licensed for about 50. There is time to give allcomers a decent go, but the structure of the races is questionable. Perhaps we need to logbook later bikes as either Period 5, or Period 6 to ensure authenticity, but broadband the races and run the two periods simultaneously?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services