Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 General Comments
 Bathurst and other race photo information needed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

Stewart Doig
Level 1 Member

Victoria

2 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  2:50:28 PM  Show Profile Send Stewart Doig a Private Message  

Can anyone help me with some information about some old photos of the Bathurst races and of some other race venues.

The first 35mm set of negatives shows Dave Robbins #5 competing on a Ducati in the endurance event. Can anyone tell me the year?

The second set of negatives shows a Ducati #1 and also Ron Toombs' #63 TZ350 Yamaha. I think Ron and someone else were sharing the Ducati in the endurance event. The Ducati has #1 on the side and a taped over #36 on the front. Also in this film is a machine in the endurance event (it has a headlight) with identification 'P' - can anyone tell me who this rider is and the year of these photos?

The third set of negatives is of racing at Mac Park (Mt. Gambier) I believe I took these between 1976 and 1979. On the film are the following competitors:
#15: John Doig 250 Ducati
#55: Wayne Sherlock 500 Matchless
#75: Doug Sherlock 250 Triumph
#28: TZ 250 'B' model
#47, #3, #7 & #52: All sidecars
#4: Velocette
#02: Classic with JAP engine I think.
The weather looks fine and people are lightly clad so I don't think it would be a winter meeting.
Can anyone tell me the date of this meeting?

The fourth set of negatives shows racing at Hume Weir and shows the following competitors:
(350 cc race) #117, #31, #70, #74 Dave Sinclair, #88 & #119
(Sidecar Race) #14 Geoff Taylor, #34 Dennis Skinner, #116 & #169
(Classic race) #11 Karel Morlang & #14 Jeff Curley
(500 or Unlimited race) #41 Bob Rosenthal & #22 Jeff Sayle(?)
Can anyone tell me the date of this meeting?

The next problem is some prints (I can't find matching negatives for these), that show racing at Calder, I think this is the Castrol 2 hour meeting, and are of the following competitors:
(White plates) #25, #10, #55, #69
(Red plates) #7, #63, #3, #6, #4,
Other competitors are:
#85 Russel Stephenson, #74 Dave Sinclair, #29 Gary Smith & #84.
I would like to date this 2 hour event and confirm whether the other competitors were competing at the same meeting.
Also in the same pack of prints are photos of a Winton race meeting. Without negatives I cannot establish whether this meeting was before or after Calder. At Winton are competitors Mark Weiss, #47 Kel Carrick (250 Suzuki) & #7 (250 Yamaha); Bill Petrie and Wes Brown are officiating. Can anyone date this Winton meeting?

Thank you for considering this.

Road racing; I raced between 1976 and 1990 mainly Victorian tracks. I started with a Norton Commando and Ducati 250 'Mach 1' before going onto TZ Yamahas. I had a B model, a D model and lastly an N model. I raced at Bathurst from 1982 to 1988 and finished up in B grade.

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  11:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by Stewart Doig

The first 35mm set of negatives shows Dave Robbins #5 competing on a Ducati in the endurance event. Can anyone tell me the year?

The second set of negatives shows a Ducati #1 and also Ron Toombs' #63 TZ350 Yamaha. I think Ron and someone else were sharing the Ducati in the endurance event. The Ducati has #1 on the side and a taped over #36 on the front. Also in this film is a machine in the endurance event (it has a headlight) with identification 'P' - can anyone tell me who this rider is and the year of these photos?

The fourth set of negatives shows racing at Hume Weir and shows the following competitors:
(500 or Unlimited race) #41 Bob Rosenthal & #22 Jeff Sayle(?)

According to Jim Scaysbrook's Bikes & Bathurst, Dave Robbins & Toombsie were teamed together on an NCR Ducati for the Endurance Race, I guess in the Prototype Class.
I also just happened to have found a 1979 program which lists, for the Unlimited International, Reg Pridmore as "P". Dave Robbins is entered in the same race as no. 36 but in the Arai Three Hour Endurance Race Robbo & Toombsie were teamed together under no.1, entered by NORM FRASER [BRIS] PTY LTD (No doubt tuned by Billy McDonald).

Sadly Toombsie died the next day while racing in the Senior GP, under his usual no. 63.

Murray Sayle, not Jeff, was always 22.

Bernie

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen
Go to Top of Page

Stewart Doig
Level 1 Member

Victoria

2 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2010 :  11:08:49 AM  Show Profile Send Stewart Doig a Private Message  

Thanks for that info Bernie; That just leaves the Photos of Dave Robbins riding #5 ducati. I am pretty sure this isn't the same year due to different number and different leathers. In the photos with #5 on machine he is wearing white leathers with 'Ducati" on back and 'Robbins' on right sleeve. In the 1979 photos he has leathers with red trousers and black jacket or it may just be a black long sleeve skivvy over the leathers. I have Bathurst programs for 1980, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1987 & 1988 and these do not list Robbins. I think the most likely years for Robbins riding #5 Ducati are 1981 or 1982. If you or anyone could check these programs for me I would be grateful.
Cheers,
Stewart Doig

Road racing; I raced between 1976 and 1990 mainly Victorian tracks. I started with a Norton Commando and Ducati 250 'Mach 1' before going onto TZ Yamahas. I had a B model, a D model and lastly an N model. I raced at Bathurst from 1982 to 1988 and finished up in B grade.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services