Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Remember When
 Riders with disabilities
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  12:00:11 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

This is a 'remember when'. There was a guy named Dave Pawson who used to ride in road races at Calder in the early sixties. He had a disability (probably from polio) which caused him difficulty in even walking. He used to start in races, under the old 'push-start' rules. The guys would smartly p*ss off and leave him at the start. In nearly every race I saw him in he finished up amongst the leaders.
another guy who raced with disabilities was Peter Campbell, the sidecar rider from NSW, he was actually lifted onto the bike.
I suggest these blokes are heros.

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?

Former Member
deleted

27 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2003 :  9:29:47 PM  

t

Alan I dont remember those guys but I can go back in vivid memory to Frank Mussett, Harry Hinton Snr Art Senior, and so on at Ballarat, in the late 40's and early 50's. One of my first visits to Ballarat (from Adelaide then) saw Jack French (pre war speed twin) and Ken Kavanagh (MSS Velo) side by side down the Gilles street straight bumping and cutting each other off. They had had an argument over a female I think !!!

After your first "remember when " I had a look at
ages of the members and wondered who would be interested in my ramblings which could go back furthur than most, to Woodside S A Nurioopta, and other places.

perhaps some feed back on whether anyone is interested ??

Bruped
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2003 :  06:12:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

Bruped,

I am sure you would be suprised how many people are interested in them. It would show to others, not only former greats of the sports, but how much the sport has changed over the years.

I know for one, I am interested in the older stuff..

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2003 :  4:06:36 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I raced against Peter Campbell many times and he was a mean competitor, I never got near him. But talking specifically about riders with disabilities there must be a point when judgements need to be made about the safety of all concerned. I do not want to create a cresendo of comment that I am a meany, I dont mean it that way. But when we have some of the speeds now achieved, safety and reality is an issue that must be considered. To a gr8 extent that is where sidecars can help people such as Peter Campbell, and I am aware of a current A or B grader solo rider who is switching to the F2 Gentleman class because of an arm injury that prevents Solo competition. In my experience most people whether able bodied or not ususally recoginise there personal limitations, unless they are driven by their parents, as in the junior moto X where I have witnessed extrordinary behaviour from parents forcing children to compete at levels beyond their skill level.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2003 :  11:53:25 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

There was a guy called Antony Gunter who used to ride MX. At Xmas Hills, he broke a leg and walked around with the leg at an angle out from his body. Apparently he went to hospital that night, and because of the neglect, his leg was amputated. All hearsay, but I've no reason to disbelieve.
That movie 'On any sunday' mentions a rider soaking off a cast from his back (spinal injury) and racing - all stupid stuff.
The big crashes look like nothing on TV and I believe many of the parents you mention are out of touch with reality.
Some of them need to experience sliding and rolling down the road at one hundred miles an hour, for themselves.

Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

30 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2003 :  09:12:38 AM  

Dave Pawson was a member of the Hartwell Motorcycle Club, and rode a Gold Star BSA. He later moved to Hong Kong, and worked for Cathay Pacific, as an engineer. I believe that he is now living back in Australia.

The rider that was injured at Christmas Hills, and lost a leg, was Anton Alers.He did not walk around after the accident, and was taken to hospital quickly, but gas gangrene set in and the leg was lost.
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2003 :  02:20:53 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Ross, I believe you are correct that it was Anton Alers. Sorry I got it wrong, and 'rumour is a fickle jade'. I heard a slightly different story, however I don't doubt your version is accurate. You were probably at the meeting as an official.
It'd be interesting to contact Dave Pawson, and ask him about his racing, all those years ago. I remember him as a superb competitor.
Best Regards,

Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  01:18:48 AM  

ok to talk about safety, but what about the passion for racing?
I know a bloke who lost a lot of control of his right arm (has to lift it with his left to shake your hand now} thanks to a bullbar running a red light. He has regained his road licence and want's to get on the track.
this guy has guts, and a passion for racing.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.15 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services