Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Forgotten Era
 Suitable race bike for a beginner
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

jap
Level 1 Member

Victoria

3 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2009 :  2:20:20 PM  Show Profile Send jap a Private Message  

Would a Suzuki GT 250 1973 K series be a suitable starting bike???

Suggestions please

Regards
Jap

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2009 :  12:48:49 AM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

Hi Jap, and welcome to the forum. Without wishing to appear in any way a wet blanket, I feel the GT250, as good as they are, would be a most unsuitable beginners' racer, because they are ineligible for Period 4 (1972 cutoff), and there are so many quick period 5 250s (Yamaha LCs, TZ250s) that the speed differential for a beginner would be not only a little potentially hazardous, but also discouraging. Even though you may, with the best will, be using the little GT as a toe-in-the-water exercise, there would still be a certain amount of money to be spent in race-prepping the bike, and if you've done all the prep and then found the bike to be either slow or uncompetitive, you may become discouraged, and not proceed, potentially missing out on one of the best bang-for-your-buck forms of motorsport, fun and camaraderie on the planet.
No buddy, for my two cents worth, you'd be well advised to contact the HMRAV, and get along to their club meetings, ask questions, seek advice, and find out what's available and suitable in each period class, then pursue one of these avenues that most appeals to you. While the little GT250 may appear to be the apparent answer to you at the moment because of its' availability, in the end you'll be much better off sinking your dollars into a more cost-effective, competitive and enjoyable racer, and therefore having a much more enjoyable time of it. But the main thing to do from here, is to get along to meetings, and ask LOTS of questions. Don't be shy, they're a good mob. And welcome.....
Go to Top of Page

jap
Level 1 Member

Victoria

3 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2009 :  09:16:06 AM  Show Profile Send jap a Private Message  

Thanks for the info GD66!
I,m intending to join the HMRAV

So riding in Classic or post classic may better for a beginner with the suitable bike?

Regards
Jap
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2009 :  12:09:58 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Jap, welcome.
Try a sidecar we need more of them.

CB350 honda, TS250 Suzuki I know of a good one for sale about $4000 ready to race.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

jap
Level 1 Member

Victoria

3 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2009 :  2:02:20 PM  Show Profile Send jap a Private Message  

John,
Thanks for the info!
As for side car riding, I can't imagine laying down on a side car on the Phillip island straight at any speed.
The 09 Island Classic was a great event to watch, all classes of racing was very exciting. Well done organizers and a special thanks to all competitors.

Regards
Jap
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services