Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Remember When
 Stan the Scooter Man
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

ozziebsa
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

15 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  7:49:19 PM  Show Profile Send ozziebsa a Private Message  

Who was Stan the Scooter Man?
I'm guessing he was based in Melbourne. Was it S. R Evans, the Amal distributor? Anyone have info on him?
Thanks in Advance.

Allan
Site Moderator

National

599 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  09:04:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Allan's Homepage Send Allan a Private Message  

yep Stan of Stanco es latter Stan the scooter man his son inlaw John Black took over running the bussiness.. Stan was always looking for a sale gimmick's.. he even had a 3 wheel mittesmitt car i dont know the correct spelling lol the thing that opened at the front he tried to sell me the bloody thing, if only i new wot i know now.. He also had a out let in Richmond Vic and he always was running a shop in his home town in eastern vic Gippsland some where..Stan had a very good collection of motorcycle badges.. He was THE AJS AGENT OR WAS IT MATCHLES..O' the days when Eliz St was motorcycle heaven.Norton top end and Triumph bottom end..AND DOWN Little Lonsdale remember (BSA on the corner the pub over the road) was the top spray painter and a couple of door up was "THE OLD MAN" Stan Ensendale (incorrect spelling again) where " OLD MAN Stan smoked his 200 rolle's a day must remember Jim who u could find having his morning tea?? at the Eliz in the back bar old saloon bar at 730 each morning !!and the pub in Latrone St down the back lane The AMAL INPORTER was HEALINGS in little latrobe st or on of them..other pub was corner of Eliz and Latrobe..u would find all the road races from those day at one or the others ..
this is all history that will be lost in the near futher..sri 4 rave on..

Allan Greening

Edited by - Allan on 08 Apr 2009 09:26:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Site Moderator

National

599 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  09:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Allan's Homepage Send Allan a Private Message  

Finlays were BSA,
Disney were NORTON/VINCENT,
Cottman's Triumph.
Stanco AJS.
Bob Beanem "Modak" also sold Aprila's and last to sell Norton Manx's
other wrecker was two brothers ??..
Stan Ensendale who was the tuning wizz of the day also sold Bridgestone and latter on BMW ,Stan's only visit to Bathurst he had a massive heart attack.
and out to
Brunswick for Velos from Frank Mussett of KTT fame..and also Triumph latter on Slippy Sam of "Pommy Pete"
come on some one must know/remember the others??
iam only in the 70's age group,so where r u oldies, can u remember!!lets get history down on the web..

Allan Greening

Edited by - Allan on 08 Apr 2009 09:31:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

msupremo
Locked due to multiple accounts

Victoria

6 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  07:25:48 AM  Show Profile Send msupremo a Private Message  

Jeff Curley knows all about Stan Evans. He raced Norton Commando and Laverda for him. Also Ray Bann used to do the predelivery on Commandos for Stan! Do you remember Earl at Cottmans?
Go to Top of Page

msupremo

Victoria

6 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  07:30:10 AM  Show Profile Send msupremo a Private Message  

I don't believe Bob Beenham sold Aprilia, You probably mean Parilla? He also had a large stock of Indian parts. Do you remember London Trading, that was owned by Bob's brother?
Go to Top of Page

msupremo

Victoria

6 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  07:35:04 AM  Show Profile Send msupremo a Private Message  

Do you believe it's still possible to get from Tattenham Street to Elizabeth Street in ten minutes, in today's traffic?
Go to Top of Page

msupremo

Victoria

6 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  07:37:37 AM  Show Profile Send msupremo a Private Message  

Where did Stan Einsendel's 350 Bridgestone end up?
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Site Moderator

National

599 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  09:50:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Allan's Homepage Send Allan a Private Message  

Aprilia, correct iam an old fart es starting to forget lol

Allan Greening

Edited by - Allan on 12 Apr 2009 09:51:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Site Moderator

National

599 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  09:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Allan's Homepage Send Allan a Private Message  

Tattenham Street to Elizabeth Street in ten minutes YES "but" i would need that Matchless wot was it ,the thing with girder front forks and the swingarm rear end?? G?? u know..The GS and Velo Viper killer around Albert Park or maybe the Kss velo u know the one i lost the rear wheel going down the straigh @ PI LOL..
or maybe that 350 all alloy BSA dar one with plunger frame which was gud at dropping valve's on over reving lol gud on Johnny Armstrong for letting me repair it in his w/s in Prahan!!

Allan Greening

Edited by - Allan on 12 Apr 2009 10:15:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Site Moderator

National

599 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  10:01:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Allan's Homepage Send Allan a Private Message  

Where did Stan Einsendel's 350 Bridgestone end up? Stan's brother had it at one stage so went up some where around the Murry, Wang ,some where that way ..
I wonder wot happened to the squish head patterns??

Allan Greening

Edited by - Allan on 12 Apr 2009 10:02:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Site Moderator

National

599 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  10:05:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Allan's Homepage Send Allan a Private Message  

London Trading, that was owned by Bob's brother,, also Carr cameria was mixed in their someware!!

Allan Greening
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Site Moderator

National

599 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2009 :  12:44:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Allan's Homepage Send Allan a Private Message  

Remember Eliz st cr Eliz and Lt Lonsdale st "CLARKS' PETROL STATION WHERE U COULD BUY 1 GALLON DRUMS OF SHELL RACING FUELS A ,M,811 ETC AND THEN TAKE THEM HOME on the train/ tram " and around the corner Small Bore eng Laurie Major latter to be ,Major rebores in Sydney rd B/wick..and up nr the Haymarket the exhaust and frame repair bloke!!wot was his name? and in the back st Austral Wheel works. thats where i got the twin 7 inch triumph drums spoked onto a 16 inch wheel for the kneller out fit abt 1958/9

Allan Greening
Go to Top of Page

ozziebsa
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

15 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  12:39:33 AM  Show Profile Send ozziebsa a Private Message  

I think I am a bit confused, Allan. Was Stan the Scooter Man - S. R. Evans or Stan Ensendale?
It sure sounds like a lot of fond memories about the Elizabeth Street area.
I have seen a badge 326 Elizabeth Street. Does this sound right for Stan the Scooter Man or was he at other locations.?

Down one side of the street _
Milledge Bros - Matchless - 287 Elizabeth
Cottman's - AJS, Triumph, Velocette- 291 Elizabeth
Mayfair Motors - James, Douglas and Panther - 303 Elizabeth

Down the other side of the street-
Finlay Bros - BSA - 316 Elizabeth
Brycars - Ariel - 322 Elizabeth
Stewarts Motor Cycles - Royal Enfield, Coventry Eagle -326 Elizabeth
S. R. Evans - Amal, J.A.P. Engines, Ambassador, Moto Guzzi, Puch - 334 Elizabeth
Disney's Motors - Vincent - 410 Elizabeth

Does all this sound about right??

Apparently at some stage Stan the Scooter Man was at 326 Elizabeth. What happened to Stewarts and what did Stan sell there?

Thanks for all the memories. Please reply as this more than I hoped for.

ozziebsa

Go to Top of Page

Allan
Site Moderator

National

599 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2009 :  05:39:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Allan's Homepage Send Allan a Private Message  

Stan the Scooter Man - S. R. Evans

Allan Greening
Go to Top of Page

aussiebob
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

4 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  09:35:10 AM  Show Profile Send aussiebob a Private Message  

yes you are correct.Stan had two shops in Melbourne, one in Elizabeth st in the CBD managed by his soninlaw (John) and the other in bridge rd Richmond which i had the privlige of manageing in the late 70's
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services