Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Historic - Classic, Post Classic & F/Era Sidecars
 Sidecar Comments
 Special treatment for 2 strokes
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  4:54:38 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Following some incidents at PI 2010 where 2 stroke solos bogged down at the line and on one occasion resulted in a big prang, there is a thought to put any two stroke machine at the back of the grid, be it a solo or a sidecar.

The purpose being to prevent 4 strokes slamming into them.

I offerred a counter view which Max Hooper suggestted, that the two strokes be lined up on one side of the grid rather than spread around.
What are your thoughts?

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Edited by - john on 28 Jan 2010 9:47:35 PM

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  5:00:16 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Give the two strokes half a lap start!
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  5:03:54 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

There's a lot of horsepower involved at the trots,so they use a pace car in a rolling start!
Go to Top of Page

Ang
Level 1 Member

Victoria

17 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  8:00:29 PM  Show Profile Send Ang a Private Message  

Why have you felt the need to use the sidecar comments area to view this opinion, Do you not wish the solo 2 stroke riders to see it........
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  9:50:36 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Personel comment coming up here.

Of course not, there are too many to comment whereas we have only a few sidecars with 2 strokes.
Let the others fight their battles and not climb on the efforts of the sidecar teams to get better outcomes.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  10:50:10 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

I'm alright, Jack!
Go to Top of Page

Ang
Level 1 Member

Victoria

17 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  09:09:30 AM  Show Profile Send Ang a Private Message  

but to be fair to all 2 strokes not all bog down on the start line or blow a lot of smoke so I does seem a tat unfair to label them and put them at the back of the grid.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2010 :  09:20:56 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

the idea has come from the Clerk of Course

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Bretta
Level 2 Member

Victoria

57 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2010 :  3:05:45 PM  Show Profile Send Bretta a Private Message  

OMG!!!!!!!!!!
Having sat on a grid right next to a 2 stroke Kawasaki sidecar quite a few times I can tell you that thing is not slow off the line at all, in fact there is not many P4 sidecars that can beat it from a standing start. At the Aussie Titles, Eastern Creek, a few years ago I was lucky enough to have a really good look and chat with the guys up NSW way that used to run their TZ350 sidecar (Isle of Man record holder and a machine that most would be in awe of it's appearance and the effort to make it both look great and go really well) They at the time were trying to stop the powers that be from Banning - yes banning that machine from racing because it was a 2 stroke. I agree that safety is paramount but discriminating against a 2 stroke is stupid, dumb and even stupider - should we all ride 4 strokes and god help us if we break a chain on the line and cause a pile up ........ Thats racing and don't we have staggered grids for the ones behind to go past if they are good enough or do the ones behind have their eyes closed maybe if we didn't have the mentality that the race must be won in the first corner then the kamikaze pilots who only ride fast in a straight line couldn't cause that much trouble. Just my thoughts and I'm just a silly sidecar passenger

Bretta (Not to be confused with the fat one that rides)
Brass Balls Racing
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2010 :  9:31:41 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

PLease rember thsi question has come from those who are responsible for track safety, please dont be abusive.

The plan is not to disciminate but separate them to one side.
From what I hear there are real problems with solos when 2 and 4 strokes get together. IE PI 2010 International challenge.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Geoffpgrant
Level 3 Member

South Australia

204 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  2:39:19 PM  Show Profile Send Geoffpgrant a Private Message  

Yes, I have sat back and watched this thread whilst biting my tongue... But I just had to weigh in didn't I. I happen to have developed my two stroke to get off the line well and my experience in recent years is that the four strokes get in my way so I propose that the four strokes be made to stay line astern on one side of the track until turn one so that they don't get in my way!!! OK, obviously tongue in cheek but really, let's not lump all together because of one incident. In this forum over the years there has been discussions about many aspects of bikes and how they handle, or start, or stop, but we don't suggest that we lump all with that particular characteristic together and make them race on their own, do we. The race track would be a boring place if we did. Let's face it, at least one of the attractions of classic racing for spectators is the variety of machines available for them to peruse. For me the same thing is a big attraction. So in conclusion, let's forget the kneejerk reactions to odd incidents and get on with having fun.
Geoff
Sidecar #30
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  2:48:58 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I have as many responses as I reckon we shall get now, I will pass them all onto teh Clerk of Course for an understanding.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  3:01:33 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Things can move quickly here.
I have spoken to the powers to be about the feelings of this topic.
They are happy to accept the opinion, since people have discussed it and said they are happy with the staus quo.
I have been informed thsi afternoon that nothing will now be done about the proposal.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services