Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Promotion of all 125's
 The real Forgotten Era
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  09:16:11 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

The real forgotten era is the period from the start of world championship racing up to the time that the 2 strokes took over the 125 class.
This period of approximately 20 years was dominated by 4 stroke machines and yet it is virtually dead as far as race track representation goes.
Boys, we can't allow this to continue.
If you have a 4 stroke 125 bring it to the Southern Classic and let's start a revival.
I don't care if it is P3,P4 or P5 by our cockeyed classification system, if it is a 4 stroke it belongs back in that pre 2 stroke era.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  10:06:40 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

In 1952 the ultralightweight class at the IOM TT w as won by W.A.C. McCandless on a Mondial at a speed of 74.85 mph.
In 1956 it was won by C.Ubbiali on an MV at a speed of 69.67 mph. How fast does your CB125 go?
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  10:10:24 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

A friend of mine rode a 500cc manx there in the late sixties. His first lap was at 84 mph! And he was an experienced rider.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  10:14:09 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

I can only see one advantage in having a fourstroke 125 class - it should give really close racing - we might have some FUN !
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  1:40:59 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

I don't think we are supposed to have fun anymore.
I think it is classified as unsocial behaviour these days.
But, bugger the rules, let's have some fun.
I imagine that Carlo Ubbiali won a wet race at that speed.
Oh for a CB125 that could lap at that speed, wet or dry.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

peen0_0
Level 3 Member

Victoria

224 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  3:30:52 PM  Show Profile Send peen0_0 a Private Message  

OK, I've been seeing comments re the 125's for a while now.
How do I get involved? Seriously, like Bretta elsewhere, I'd like to have a go at a solo between sidecar events, and have a soft spot for some of the smaller classes.
Please note, that at around 98 kilo's I'd only be doing it for fun, poor little 125. Any suggestions folks?
Cheers, Tony (sidecar 20)
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  7:50:26 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Fourstroke 125s offer an opportunity to have fun, but the smarties well know you can easily blitz them with any twostroke over 80cc. If they were allowed, they'd run 500cc MotoGP racers in every historic class, just to get an easy win. I suggest that anyone who can consistently win in a fourstroke 125 class without cheating, must be really good at tuning, and riding.
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2010 :  09:32:47 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Tony, if you are serious I suggest you keep your eyes open for a CB125.
You should be able to pick one up for around $500.
Then the spending starts.
Mine is up to a bit over $4,000 now and is just about finished.
However, it is possible to do it for less than this, I wanted to create something that looks like a '50s race bike and probably went a bit overboard on doing so. But I enjoyed doing it, it sure beats watching junk tv programmes.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services