Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 General Comments
 Historic nationals, Phillip Island
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2010 :  10:43:21 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I guess you have highlighted the difference between clubs and others.
In my case we try and get it right because we are racers ourselves.

What a balls up.

What I dont understand is why the senior officials did not get it sorted out once it was realised to be wrong?

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2010 :  10:30:17 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I spoke with the time keepers;
"We simply provide points for whatever classes we are told do based on the
information we are given. Within the Unlimited Classic class, Phillip
Island advised us of some of the competitors who were also to be scored in a
Formula 700 class. The were subsequently changed during the event to
eliminate some competitors. My understanding with the ability of
competitors to now enter a machine in the class above, and on the basis that
the 700cc class is a new class between the 500cc and Unlimited classes, then
the following could occur in the Unlimited Classic class:

. a 500cc bike could ride in the Unlimited Class and score points in
the Formula 700 class

. a 650cc bike could ride in the Unlimited Class and score points in
the Formula 700 class and Unlimited class

. a 1000cc bike could ride in the Unlimited Class and score points
in the Unlimited class only.

At Phillip Island, we were not advised of any bikes in the Formula 750
Post-Classic class.

At your events, we have not been advised of any Formula 700 or Formula 750
bikes.

Scott Laing J "

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  7:13:23 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

So it would seem that the 500/700/Unlimited P3 debacle is a result of a difference between GCRs and Supp Regs, with just a dash of miscommunication : bloody unlucky, 650SS, and worth pursuing through your club I'd have thought.

Gone pretty quiet now that the resident antagonist is on the bench, but I feel it would be incomplete to let the Nats thread go quiet without mentioning a few things that, as happens each year, made this year's Nats remarkable...

For a start, the poxy weather mean that if you won a title this year, you were capable of not just riding, but racing in a variety of conditions, weather-wise and track condition-wise, so you've earned your win !

Secondly, there was a lot of support and camaraderie shown between competitors, even from opposing states, proving in the end that racing with your buddies on one of the world's greatest tracks means more than just a poxy trophy.

Thirdly, hats off to the sidecar contingent for fronting with a packed (indeed, over-subscribed !) grid. Let's not forget that it's only three years ago that the Island Classic organisers were faced with cancelling the sidecars through a lack of support : the fact that you've not only come back, but continued to support the renaissance of historic sidecar racing at the top level speaks volumes not only for your enthusiasm, but also your rapport and communication with fellow racers. Great stuff !

Quite a lot has been intimated/murmured/muttered/said about the promoter vs club scenario re running the historic nats. Personally, having been involved with the running of three historic nats meetings, I have no beef with it. Yes, it'd be great to have a well-recognised, long-established club run the nats, but these days it's getting harder and harder to get a group of patient, willing volunteers to go through the rigorous slog of sending out entries, processing the returns, and sitting there night after night doing the essential groundwork and paperwork for any meeting, let alone a nationals. So if a promoter is willing to jump in and do the hard yards, I say good on ya, because for everyone that's willing to criticise, there are another twenty who will duck and weave to avoid getting involved on any level !
Congratulations to not just the winners, but to all who fronted at The Island and helped to once again make the historic nats an exceptional meeting

And hey, what about finally having three valid, pointscoring races to decide the titles ? About bloody time ! Hats off, Phillip Island !

Edited by - GD66 on 18 Sep 2010 7:15:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  2:46:15 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

the HMRAV is looking at instituting the concept of points across three races at the next Vic Titles in April 2011.
We ran a survey and most felt overall it would bring up a better result for a hard fought effort.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services