Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 General Comments
 Spirit of the Rules.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

woolshedjack
Level 1 Member

Victoria

12 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  1:14:03 PM  Show Profile Send woolshedjack a Private Message  

Hi All, I would like to ask a question or two and will be guided by the answers I get. I am a bit of a honda cb 250/350/450 buff and am also a competent welder and race chassis modifier/builder. I recently did some research and came across an Egli framed honda cb 450 twin which was raced in Europe. I have been a fan of Egli frame design for many years and thought it would be nice to build a replica for the road. I then thought why not build one for Historic racing. The questions I would like to pose are:
Would a replica frame be eligible for racing in the appropriate class?
Would it be in the "Spirit of the Rules"?
Would it be eligible or in the spirit if I were to use a cb350 motor instead.
The reason I ask is that I do not wish to build such a frame only to have it rejected because of a lack of eligibility. I also don't wish to cause conflict amongst other racers within the sport.
My plan is to eventually have a road bike using this frame which I also aim to supply as a kit with compliance etc.
I appreciate any or all comments on this and will happily accept the decision of the majority whilst respecting everyones point of view. Let the discussion begin.
Cheers,
Darren

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  2:12:58 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

There are many frame options for a CB350 builder, and there are logbook-approved Drixton and TAB-framed bikes running in the P4 Junior class already. To my mind, if you present a case for a tubular replica frame you are unlikely to be knocked back. But I'd advise you to gather what photographic and written evidence you have, and present your case to Ross Martin at MA hq, to establish that your bike will be logbook-eligible.
There's really no point cutting a tube or picking up a welding torch until you've cleared the way for a bike like this. These days, with numbers on the wane, I doubt you'll have much of a problem. But PLEASE don't build yourself a race bike in hope and with good intentions, only to have it knocked back and stamp out of the room vowing never to return because you haven't done your homework.
You can contact Ross Martin at MA ph 03 9684 0504, or email him commissions@ma.org.au .
Also not a bad idea to have a trawl round the MA website for clarity on rules and GCRs, their website is You must be logged in to see this link. .
I'm not wishing to pour cold water on your Egli plan (far from it !), but these things have to be attacked the right way, with good research from the outset. Hope to see you out there soon !

Regards GD

Edited by - GD66 on 26 Sep 2010 2:14:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

woolshedjack
Level 1 Member

Victoria

12 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2010 :  2:40:38 PM  Show Profile Send woolshedjack a Private Message  

Thanks, thats exactly why I posted this. To get opinion and advice. I certainly won't build a race chassis until I have written confirmation of its acceptance. I will contact M.A. also. i will be proceeding with my Egli road version for these motors though. Prototype and jig is already well underway. Thanks GD66 for your opinion and comment and I look forward to input from others as well.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  10:48:11 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

GD66 is spot on with his comments.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

woolshedjack
Level 1 Member

Victoria

12 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2010 :  3:53:02 PM  Show Profile Send woolshedjack a Private Message  

Thanks guys. I am putting together a portfolio as we speak to present to M.A etc for approval. I have a heap of info including photos from the 60's and 70's. I will post the outcome here when I have crossed through the eligibility jungle. lol
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.23 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services