Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Eligibilty Area
 Eligibilty on Race Tracks
 Hidden Valley
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

Former Member
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2004 :  10:21:15 PM  

For your information.
Earlier this year MA inspected Hidden Valley for a track licence. Two hundred metres of air fence is needed, 120 at turn two and about 70 at turn three. From what I hear it looks like this won't go ahead now as the club have decided against affiliating.

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2004 :  7:47:08 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I don't believe MA would ever be irresponsible and ask for risk control measures that weren't necessary. Whether the club affiliates or not doesn't change the risk attached to racing at a particular circuit. It may be that a different (less expensive) way of controlling the risk is possible. I suggest that your club should do its own risk assessments, keep talking to MA, and possibly come to a compromise. I don't believe there is an agreed specification for air bag construction yet!

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2004 :  9:08:19 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by acotrel

I don't believe MA would ever be irresponsible and ask for risk control measures that weren't necessary. Whether the club affiliates or not doesn't change the risk attached to racing at a particular circuit. It may be that a different (less expensive) way of controlling the risk is possible. I suggest that your club should do its own risk assessments, keep talking to MA, and possibly come to a compromise. I don't believe there is an agreed specification for air bag construction yet!

Good stuff Alan - keeping the contact up works the best for all.
Air Fence bike is approved and used world wide.
The trial application at Broadford has been acclaimed and offers the best protection for riders at the new marshal points. We are trying to ensure that all the points are completed by the Interclub Meeting on Sept 19

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  2:34:05 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I reckon Michellan have the best air fence. That man with the rubber suit seems to have the best set of leahers/airfence I have ever seen. Look at the cost savings at tracks if we all wore something like that.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  7:07:28 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

Off topic but on theme. The jovial spirit of Monsieur Bibendum - the original 'Michelin Man' now presides over diners in a restaurant named Bibendum in the old Michelin building on the Fulham Road in London. I think his [unless French] flag waving days are well and truly over!
Go to Top of Page

matcho mick
Advanced Member

New South Wales

570 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  11:18:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit matcho mick's Homepage Send matcho mick a Private Message  

jeezas!!,this steak tastes like rubber!
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  4:46:44 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I was told that the best design of airfence is relatively stiff, with a vent that lets the air escape at a controlled rate. Apparently when it's hit it slowly stands up again - sort of reminds me of something!

Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  8:51:46 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

We were all told that as the product was designed and put together in Australia it had to have a decent rest between service - but if not interfered with and in the mood could stay up all day.
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  9:17:59 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Seriously Patrick, do you know if there is a standard for air bags?

Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2004 :  9:48:59 PM  

I hope it didn't sound as if I am critical of MA's decision over the air fence. While most of the riders can't see the need, looking at it from an official's point of view, there definetly is a risk. It is only a slight risk but it is there.

I have heard the circuit owners are considering earthworks at turn three to make more room but that isn't possible at turn two.

Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

174 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2004 :  02:52:16 AM  

Maybe the FIM or Dorna people have some sort of regs as it is widely used in the world champs.

Its not what you ride,Its how fast you ride it!!!
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2004 :  10:23:49 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

A while back there was a move to buy air fence for another circuit. It's difficult to see how anyone can buy it if there is no engineering specification to tie down the details of its construction? Could be a waste of money, when it fails in service, and worse if someone hits it and still gets necked!

Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2004 :  6:25:27 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by acotrel

Seriously Patrick, do you know if there is a standard for air bags?

From my research Alan, manufactures must submit their product to the FIM with a raft of figures from test labs. and if ok they are added to the approved list.
We have chosen an Australian product - Air Fence Bike which has been approved for a number of years and is in use in the UK, USA, and Europe.
For anyone interested we have an installation at Turn 3 Broadford and you are very welcome to have a look on foot! to form your own opinions. Our staff have been trained in installation, maintenance and general care.
Go to You must be logged in to see this link. for full details.

Edited by - Patrick on 31 Aug 2004 7:55:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2004 :  7:35:13 PM  

Having raced at the TERA Challenge this year in June, and hoping to take a dozen Racers with me next year, an air fence would be nice. Essential, I don't think so. Perhaps some bags of milk bottles would also be nice, I'm going back in '05 on my 'Clunker', air-fence or not! Having started racing in the 60's, todays tracks are safe by comparison. Don't think the track is safe, don't race!
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

174 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2004 :  02:22:24 AM  

The airfence is a nice touch there Patrick.
Lets hope it wont be needed for me.Think I better leave the 125gp in the shed after my last leather browning excursion at turn 3,and
doing a flat 540 spin up the hill on a postie outfit.

Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2004 :  10:09:31 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

Thanks Neil - its needed so it's going in. What were you doing up on the hill at Turn one the other Sunday?
I thought with all the dust we had cropdusting going down!
thanks from all of us for what you did - saw the note on CH 31 tonight re Leon - hope you make it!

Edited by - Patrick on 07 Sep 2004 10:15:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

174 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2004 :  01:07:35 AM  

Pickin flowers...how embarrasment!!!

Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

174 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2004 :  01:19:52 AM  

I was having withdrawals form not marshalled for a bit and had to feed that sad addiction by having a bit of a sweep thru Turn 1.
Luckily for Leon he has an expert broom pusher passengering for him.....

Mental note to self
Must get out of leathers and into civvy gear b4 attempting those shennanigans again!

Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  10:38:25 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

Garry,
Sorry to hear the you will not be affiliating it would be fantastic to come to a national championships up there in the warmer weather instead of enduring southern states rain etc.
On a more serious note I can understand their concern over turn 2 but not so much turn 3, I am surprised that there hasnt been comment about the armco at the start of the start finish straight which was what cause me the most concern when I was up there. Dont give up we need you guys in the fold.
Secondly get that sidecar out of the shed and put someone else on it.
Alan
Go to Top of Page

Former Member
deleted

48 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2004 :  07:57:10 AM  

I tend to agree with you on that last corner Alan. Quite a few bikes do end up in the run off area for that corner.

Someone mentioned milk bottle bags earlier. MANT did ask MA if they could be use them instead of air fence but were refused. These days, with duty of care, it isn't considered adequate protection.

A few of us are very disapointed over the decision not to join MA as one of our long term goals was to hold a National Title event here. It is not from anything on MA's part. In fact MANT went to great lengths and expense to help the club join.

My sixteen year old son is currently looking at my sidecar with the idea to get it running and ride it with one of his school friends. As you will know though there are not many options to ride classic bikes locally and the only other two sidecars went interstate a couple of years ago.

Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2004 :  7:54:13 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

Looking at some of the club sites in the US, it is evident they are wanting to keep a lot of the old circuits for motorcycle use. Where there is a modest amount of Air Fence required to meet requirements the riders are offering to pay a small fee each time they ride to cover purchase and upkeep for the Air Fence.
My suggestion with respect is to find out what is required to get your circuit operational and try and cut a deal with the SCB / Track Owner / Fence supplier / local riders, including ride days and schools you will attract X by the days you can operate per year and strike a rate per day. With the right numbers and low interest rates it may not be a huge hurdle to get over. Good luck
Go to Top of Page

racer7
Level 2 Member

67 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2004 :  8:44:25 PM  Show Profile Send racer7 a Private Message  

Not tooo much happening here!
Air fence, Milk Bottle Bags, blah blah blah. Let someone else take responsibility for potential injury etc etc!
BIG NEWS: MOTORCYCLE RACING IS DANGEROUS!
The chances of being hurt at some stage are about 100%!
Don't go fast enough to fall off, and you won't need this costly protection. You won't finish first, but you'll be physically unhurt!
I thought Classic bikes were for mature riders who were not afraid to take responsibilty for their own actions?
Getting out of bed is dangerous, so stay there! Let those prepared to carry the consequences for their actions race bikes!
racer7
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services