Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Remember When
 Where are they now?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Saint
Level 1 Member

UK

1 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  2:41:22 PM  Show Profile Send Saint a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by MGThese days hes a dead set dropkick. Feel free to confirm for yourself.

Interesting that you Mark were recently banned from that same forum. Could it be there is more than one dropkick on there?
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  3:16:23 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Well, having had a look at that site I can only think that there are a few on it.
Perhaps V.C. has taken up fishing these days,
he certainly got some bites in that pond.
Anyway, back to sensible things like locating our "lost" riders.
Can you think of any?
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  12:12:22 AM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

Got into the great [4000 + posts] TNF site as well - but got the boot via members and Twinny within 24 hours.
Sorry no new names John, but the drawings are in hand for the expansion of the members area.
HNY all.

Edited by - Patrick on 30 Dec 2008 09:04:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  09:26:29 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

John, how many do you have on the list now?

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2008 :  07:08:01 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

I have 54 so far of which 2 are now back racing and a third is making an appearance in the near future.
Many more are hiding somewhere, we only have to find them.
Cheers, John
P.S. I am concentrating on those in Victoria who might be interested in the Southern Classic. I am aware of many interstate, and am in contact with several but these "foreigners" are not the ones I am chasing.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Edited by - john feakes on 02 Jan 2009 09:36:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

ozziebsa
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

15 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2009 :  05:45:50 AM  Show Profile Send ozziebsa a Private Message  

I hope I haven't hijacked your thread but it is in similar territory in finding past riders.

Does anybody have any information or know the contact details for John Seary, winner of the first 125cc race held at Bathurst in September 1951, The Clubmans event.

He was riding a Lambretta!

He also used this Lambretta at Castlereagh Airstrip in January 1951 coming 4th.
I am unsure whether he came from Vic or NSW, so any help or recollections would be appreciated.

A genuine pukka Lambretta racer was also used at the Victoria Park, Ballarat Motor Cycle Grand Prix of 31 Dec 50/1st Jan 51.
Another Lambretta or the same one was used on 18 November 1950 at the Ballarat Airstrip meeting coming in 3rd place ridden by F. Isles. Anybody recall F Isles?

Thanks

ozziebsa
Go to Top of Page

MotorSportRetro.com
Level 1 Member

1 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  09:07:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit MotorSportRetro.com's Homepage Send MotorSportRetro.com a Private Message  

You can read about Stu Avant and what he is up to here You must be logged in to see this link.

My site features plenty of retro motorcycle stories.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  09:20:14 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

John Feakes - got a few names for you. - Owen Ellis and John and Bill Crawford. Owen was a Hartwell member, used to work for TAA where he was often on 'light duties' after race meetings. I think one of the Crawfords passed away.
Go to Top of Page

aussiebob
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

4 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2010 :  09:56:58 AM  Show Profile Send aussiebob a Private Message  

just read your forum and decided to write you. you proberly never heard of me but i used to ride sidecars and solos from the early 70's till the 80's. my ability was at the least enthusiastic but my wallet was always bare.Started off with sidecar racing club of NSW then moved to Vic. and joined SRC of vic. My race No. was 19
Go to Top of Page

dinkiracer
Level 1 Member

Victoria

5 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  04:03:53 AM  Show Profile Send dinkiracer a Private Message  

Hey-On behalf of all racers from the eighties-it's a bit of a hike getting my head around being classified as an old racer.The idea that such fuddy duddies as myself couldn't work out how to use a computer makes me chuckle!Perhaps after some challenging responses to my question about running an old bike in April 2010,I might just make a bit of a replica of Lenny's old '49'er and come out for some circle work.Contrary to some of the ramblings about OLD PEOPLE being TOO OLD to race;it is worth comparing split times.They really aren't that much quicker round corners now; maybe a bit quicker getting in(could be better brakes) and on the last part of the exit-if you break up specific corners-yet its only really good bike handlers like J Stauffer and cohorts who seem to be able to work a lot more mid corner speed into it.And so they should-with pretty much over 50% more power and an extra 2inches of tyre to lay it down on the ground!!Yet I speak only from my own exprience-and can tell all you young fellas that some of us didn't actually stop riding.We may have stopped racing cause of outside reasons-yet my own sitch is that I'm much more experienced on a bike than I was on my first black /red GSXR back in 85 &86;and riding these new rocketships is pure glee for me.A quarter of a century is a long time to be steering rocketships;and ever since I didn't carry a fuzzybrown kelpy dog around on the petrol tank all the time/I have had to learn how to ride properly in corners-So I suggest to all young upstarts-why don't you set up a matchrace series -in which a whole batch of'OLD' racers could get on modern superbikes and see if you can whip us at the game of 'circle work'-say -down at the Island-for instance-.Ireckon it might be interesting for all concerned.ULYSSES riders might'grow old disgracefully';yet some of us early superbike guys are still out there learning the craft of riding everyday.PS:I read elsewhere herein somebody lambasting 'angry ant'-I'll tell ya now mate-you'd wanna be awfully good to to go past him in a corner -even if he was on a bicycle and you were on a racing motor bike.His riding speed in corners-kinda looked like the throttle was stuck on all the time!You go out there and ride like him in the corners on a modern bike and suddenly you'd be on P1 as pole is now called!Oh yeah,just so I don't further the existence of a'secret society'-some of you might remember a guy from up country who road to the track with a little kelpy dog on the tank-raced his Gsxr superbike(No85) and then rode home again afterwards;often overnight and interstate.Little dinki is long gone-yet the racer lives on!
Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  6:42:35 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

Here is a link to a great read ....
Click on the above and see 350 topics & 50,000 posts.
For no other reason I just want to share the knowledge and interest that is out there.
You will note that a lot of the topics are from the antipodes.

Cheers

Edited by - Patrick on 23 May 2010 7:01:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  12:25:26 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

I wouldn't go advising people to frequent that forum, Patrick...some of the correspondents are decidedly dodgy...
Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2010 :  9:01:59 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

I am often in awe at the depth of knowledge of the correspondents on that forum especially the dodgy ones....
Go to Top of Page

jennyloves
Level 1 Member

7 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  2:56:54 PM  Show Profile Send jennyloves a Private Message  

hi, i am just Curiosity about this, waiting for the answer , thanks

Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2010 :  09:15:40 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

The answer to what?

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  07:24:37 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

John Feakes, Got a couple of names for you:

Doug Sharp used to race a TZ750 competitively against Bob Rosenthal, then raced internationally. Has an accessories outlet in Tullamarine.

Nairn Elder raced a manx in the sixties then went to the IOM. Lives in Point Leo, and is a member of the local historic society.

Brian Tupper raced sidecars in the fifties, now lives at The Gurdies.
Go to Top of Page

Sturgis
Level 1 Member

New South Wales

5 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2010 :  7:24:39 PM  Show Profile Send Sturgis a Private Message  

I was out at Eastern Creek a few months ago, and Eric Hinton (One of Australia's greatest racers) was wandering the pits. His health is not the best now, but i never saw anybody say hello, or acknowledge him all day.
I did call out to him and tried to call him over, but his memory is beginning to slip.
Here is a guy that has an Australian motorcycing history at his fingertips, and few even bother to acknowledge his presence.
How is it that we let such valued people dssappear from our lives and the sport we love?
Every meet brings an opportunity to discover the history that created our passion.
Don't let the next opportunity slip by.
Kudos to ALL those that paved the way

Sturgis
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  6:57:12 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

Of course you're right, Sturgis. However the depth of Eric's knowledge (and amazingly, recall)is no secret. I've prodded Jim Scaysbrook a couple of times to get some of Eric's yarns, and there are some rippers amongst them, down on paper before time takes its' toll. This hasn't happened, but luckily Don Cox, well-known Revs race reporter from the 70s and 80s has sprung to the rescue, and is knocking up Eric's story in book form, and it's well under way.
Eric's son Peter appears on a number of of forums, so he's able to help with certain info, but even though Eric appears to be a bit frail at the races, be assured that steel trap of a mind is still functioning pretty acutely. It's well worth bending his ear for a chat, as his insights are invariably delivered with the advantage of wisdom and perspective. A good soldier !
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services