Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Forgotten Era
 Poms probably not coming in 2008
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

OldKwak
Level 2 Member

Victoria

156 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2007 :  2:52:57 PM  Show Profile Send OldKwak a Private Message  

After reading this on the Team Glam web site, it seems the Island Classic has got some real problems.

[i]"After Pembrey and the amount of grief it was to sort out Australia, I made the decision not to go back to Phillip Island in 2008. The organization had just become too much trouble and the lack of feedback from the circuit made it financially unviable for a 4th year. With that in mind a few of the short circuit P+M bikes were sold so we could concentrate on Endurance and ICGP"[/i]

It would be good to know what the problems were

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2007 :  7:45:49 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

What is the URL of that comment? The Forgotten Era International Challenge should be preserved and promoted, in any way practicable.

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

OldKwak
Level 2 Member

Victoria

156 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2007 :  9:04:37 PM  Show Profile Send OldKwak a Private Message  

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2007 :  7:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

yet on their You must be logged in to see this link. page you get this:
quote:
Looking back at our best performance to date in Australia we still need to regroup and come back stronger for 2008. The squad was pretty happy with the second place although first was obviously what we had hoped for. A different approach is required in 2008 with more aggressive riding required throughout the team and some faster motor bikes.

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2007 :  8:42:47 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

It seems to me that Team Glam expected to do better than second at Phillip Island. They appear to be disappointed at Phillis doing it to them so convincingly, and have sold their short circuit bikes to go endurance racing in Europe.

Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2007 :  9:41:10 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by acotrel

It seems to me that Team Glam expected to do better than second at Phillip Island. They appear to be disappointed at Phillis doing it to them so convincingly, and have sold their short circuit bikes to go endurance racing in Europe.

So Alan the Australians are way ahead [ thanks to Syph] all we have to do is beat the kiwis into the ground and then we will be able to concentrate on playing with ourselves again.......... welcome back!
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2007 :  09:36:07 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Patrick, I believe it's critical we don't lose the Poms from the Forgotten Era International Challenge. In fact we need to get some Yanks here as well! It's not really a matter of who beats who, it should be about getting our sport to grow and get the limelight it deserves. For year Australian riders on Japanese bikes have starred overseas. Yet we still only snippets of our guys doing it, on TV! The stupid Ozzie Rools Footisball, in contrast, gets an inordinate amount of air play, and it's absolute rubbish.

Go to Top of Page

fastsuzuki
Level 2 Member

Victoria

20 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2007 :  12:05:53 PM  Show Profile Send fastsuzuki a Private Message  

As I see it, we have a product that has become somewhat successful in spite of itself. Now we should approach this in a professional manner and approach people/ organisations for financial backing. P.I does very well out of this meeting for a small outlay. The need is as discussed in another stream for a cohesive series run over consecutive weekends? that can be marketed and involve other countries. As for the poms bleating because R.P whupped em, this was the team that was actively recruiting current W.S.B riders to turn up and ride for them.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2007 :  8:30:44 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I will followup some sources and see what is involved.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

OldKwak
Level 2 Member

Victoria

156 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2007 :  2:35:02 PM  Show Profile Send OldKwak a Private Message  

I must say I am astounded at the position some people have taken to this. The fact is that James Clarke, the person who runs the Team Glam website is also the main driver of the Pom efforts in recent times and we should not underestimate the effort that has been put in. He was the one who organised the 55 people the bikes and transport at the Pom end and he also put a huge amount of his own money in to get competitors to come over and make a go of it. He should receive some accolades for his efforts instead of some parochial bull about RP winning and the Poms being scared - I don't see too many people here putting up an effort to go over there where Robbie might get whipped as well as any other takers.

I think we should focus on the real issue here, the lack of support recieved at this end. Perhaps the Sydney major events crowd might want to have a look at this one and get the race moved north where at least there might be a modicum of support, in particular for overseas riders.
Go to Top of Page

Gosling1
Level 2 Member

Australian Capital Territory

52 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2007 :  9:31:46 PM  Show Profile Send Gosling1 a Private Message  

In an ideal world....., PI would continue to support and underwrite the costs of Team Glam coming here to race in the FE Challenge on the first weekend, and then the 'northern mob' would pick up the tab for transport costs to Eastern Creek for the following weekend, so that the poms could race in the Barry Sheene Memorial. That would be a great opportunity for Team Glam to get a bite at both cherries....

....if only we lived in an ideal world.....

".....we're gonna get it this time......he had his indicator on....."
Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2007 :  10:43:13 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

I spoke very briefly last Saturday at the Junior Broadford Day to Robbie Phillis regarding the poms not coming back. The look on his face said it all - true competition is not the rubbish that some see as country against country - that may last for a few moments.
The racing and competition between riders is everything - OZ may win sometimes, Brits will win often and heaven forbid Kiwis will win as well!
Do we need any more than that.
I wish PI all the best for their great event.
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  06:35:32 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

It appears to me that the outlay the Poms make in getting to Phillip Island would be much better justified if there was a chain or series of meetings in January/February, that they could get into. If we can get coopoeration oround the eastern states, it might not be a matter of just 'moving the competition north'. It might be that the Poms and promoters can organise a bit of a travelling circus, like the old speed way test series. (In the olden days, the Pom speedway riders used to come out, and ride in every Australian state! They really gave us some hurry up!) We should also look at attracting the Yanks. I can think of three promoters/circuit owners who would be interested in managing a retro Superbike series. Particularly if the meetings pull a crowd like the Australian Superbike meeting with Magee, Phillis and Campbell - the biggest bike meeting ever at Winton!

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  06:38:48 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Patrick, I believe you used the right words on descibing Phillip Island's 'great event'. We should all follow their lead, and even improve on it.

Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  4:40:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

OK, e-mailed James from Team Glam and got some information which I must say makes sense.. He is not coming in 2008, but has not ruled out the rest of the team. (Good sign so far)

The cost to him for a trip is about what most people earn in a year and has asked to be subsidies a small amount from Phillip Island which he is still waiting on an answer. Then you have each team member and their share which is not that small in anyones terms. (actual figures given to me, but that is not here or there)

He also has suggested to Phillip Island that every 4 years would be a better way to go, and I would agree given the cost involved by not only the visiting teams, but also the Australians.

All it takes is a quick e-mail these days to get the right information from the source, most people are willing to tell you what is going on.

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  07:05:39 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

If the Team Glam visit happened every four years, by the time it came around, the spectator base would be really diminished, and Rob Phillis would have given up riding through boredom. The Poms (annual?)visit is an opportunity to really GROW our sport, we should cultivate their presence here!!
Some time ago I got the impression that several historic racers were at odds with the manager of Phillip Island. I suggest the January meeting is superb, and he is showing us how it should be done! - Perhaps we need a good 'fundraiser' to help international riders get to the meetings at PI?

Go to Top of Page

fastsuzuki
Level 2 Member

Victoria

20 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2007 :  8:38:00 PM  Show Profile Send fastsuzuki a Private Message  

By my very rough calculation, the P5 event (only) at P.I brings into the circuit and the Island a minimum of $95K approx. Has anyone spoke to the organisers about how they approach the local busineses and Local government special event people. What about state gov't support for this International event? The International riders are wanted by all as it is a fantastic opportunity to see many of the machines we could only dream about in the backwater called Oz in the 70's. We may have been the developers of the "superbike", notwithstanding the American version of the mid-late 70's and I know that what we are doing is being discussed in the U.S.A. We just need to all get behind the concept and race.
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  05:38:44 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I respect your opinion about 'get behind the concept and race ', however I suggest it's a bit more than that. I believe we need to look at historic superbikes overseas and determine what the eligibility envelope might/should be. I believe at present Team Glam ride here in P5 with a bit of dispensation. If we are going to do the series properly, we need to have 'rules' that genuinely accomodate a majority of bikes of international riders. It means a bit of rationalisation to get 'rules' that would make the series FAIR and ATTRACTIVE. If we do that we can certainly get the backing required to induce international riders to come here each year. I suggest we should 'start as we intend to continue'!

Go to Top of Page

OldKwak
Level 2 Member

Victoria

156 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  5:44:34 PM  Show Profile Send OldKwak a Private Message  

According to the rule from last Year's International challenge the bikes had to conform with the rules of each individual country - nothing to do with Australian P5 and certainly no dispensation. That's why even the Poms were amazed at certain Australian bikes making the cut, even to the point where they were going to launch their own protest but were talked out of it.
Go to Top of Page

Gosling1
Level 2 Member

Australian Capital Territory

52 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  6:09:40 PM  Show Profile Send Gosling1 a Private Message  

The current rules to attract the Poms and the Kiwis are pretty good as they stand - and if we are looking to get the Yanks over, well their 'Vintage Superbike' rules are waaaaaay tighter than all the others.....I don't think our P5 rules need to be relaxed much at all, if at all.

".....we're gonna get it this time......he had his indicator on....."
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  11:40:08 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

I love all this. Can it be that there is still life in our sport? Surely what we need is to actually talk to the Poms and Septics to see if there is any interest from them in an extended series. The cost for them to come here would be horrendous and it could well be better value for them to stay for a while and at least get some warm sun for their money. It should not be too hard for us to schedule meetings up the east coast so that they can enjoy a racing holiday. BUT we need to know who would be able to come and stay. If any of you have contacts in England and the USA perhaps you would test the opinions. Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  08:55:08 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Wot happen?
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2009 :  09:28:08 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

'The look on his face said it all - true competition is not the rubbish that some see as country against country - that may last for a few moments.
The racing and competition between riders is everything - OZ may win sometimes, Brits will win often and heaven forbid Kiwis will win as well! '

Patrick, both you and I know that the rivalry between countries is a load of bull, but it is what pulls the punters!
We are trying to progrees our sport in OZ, and we must cater for idiots who believe everything in sport must be 'tribal'. A series of international histoiric races along the east of OZ in Feb/March could be a big draw.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services