Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Historic - Classic, Post Classic & F/Era Sidecars
 Sidecar Functions
 Sidecar Teams Annual gathering
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  12:29:22 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I have been planning an annual dinner for sidecar teams.
Following discussions with a few the idea of going to a country town, perhaps Ballarat where partners can spend some quality time with the flowers has been suggested. BUt Bondi has put in a big biod to go to Daylesford. there is a Gay spa he has highly recomended that has a conference room we may be able to use for a dinner. I have never been there but Bondi assures me it would be very nice. It matches that pink condom he rode at the training day.
So I am looking at the end of Febuary, possibly where there is a go cart track we can all muck about on in a friendly way.

Do people want to go to Daylesford and earn some extra Fly buys for Bondi or perhaps Ballarat where we may have more choices of facilities. Otherwise somebodies house with a big garage for a BBQ.
Thoughts please.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Edited by - john on 01 Nov 2008 1:50:44 PM

Buck
Level 2 Member

Victoria

26 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2007 :  10:10:49 AM  Show Profile Send Buck a Private Message  

John, Daylesford is a nice fluffy place I ac see why bondi would like that. Probably would be a good spot for the girls as they do the massage thing over....a lot.... cheers, Buck

There is a bear in there and a bundy as well....
Go to Top of Page

peen0_0
Level 3 Member

Victoria

224 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2007 :  7:09:50 PM  Show Profile Send peen0_0 a Private Message  

Should we wear our "Rainbow Ribbons" John, just to keep Bondi happy?
Great idea, and I support Daylesford . (Only because they also have nice chocolate there). Although, I am very attractive man and could understand why anyone might be immediately drawn to my presence.(Time for another stubby, I think I also need help!)
Cheers, Peen.
Go to Top of Page

Bretta
Level 2 Member

Victoria

57 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2007 :  09:06:00 AM  Show Profile Send Bretta a Private Message  

Would luv to catch up with everyone and go to Daylesford, is a nice place but the best part would be that we would have an experienced tour giude in Bondy, he apparently knows his way around there quite well I'm told, all the back alleys and hidey holes .... would also be good for partners (Are we going as partners Bondy?????)and wives.
Maybe we should have a chat about this at the Island .... anyways another great Idea John.

HHmmmm Tony ....... you got me a little worried here that your going to luv this sidecar family .... on ya Buddy

Edited by - Bretta on 23 Dec 2007 09:07:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2008 :  08:55:58 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Just bumping this up to keep it alive. How are we going to get a family Sidecar teams day happening?
Is there support first of all?

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

Matt Morgan
Level 2 Member

Victoria

89 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  5:38:53 PM  Show Profile Send Matt Morgan a Private Message  

Yes John, you've got me,which means at least four of us.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  12:26:41 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

How is support for this coming along?

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 22 Apr 2008 12:27:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

peen0_0
Level 3 Member

Victoria

224 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2008 :  6:22:30 PM  Show Profile Send peen0_0 a Private Message  

John, Buck and I, and our partners are there, just say the word.
Is there anything that we can do to help?
Cheers, Peen, the "Pink Pig" No 20.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  09:26:14 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I had an idea to expand this concept to include past Sidecar teams. At the Southern Classic I met Peggy, who raced as a passenger in Europe in the 50 -60's and Max Hooper mentioned he met a bloke at a hose place who had raced outfits in the 70's. They are everywhere.

So the new idea is to have a Saturday evening dinner with a speaker or similar in Melbourne and invite any sidecar partcipant.

Ron Marten thought it was great so the HMRAV and the Sidecar Club of Vic will work on the plan.
I hope MV also get involved.

It may take 6 months or so to get organised but who is up for the modified plan?

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 21 Oct 2008 09:48:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

peen0_0
Level 3 Member

Victoria

224 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2008 :  12:10:14 PM  Show Profile Send peen0_0 a Private Message  

John, thanks to you and Ron for the effort.
Buck and I would be keen to be involved.
Cheers, Tony.
Go to Top of Page

Matt Morgan
Level 2 Member

Victoria

89 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  09:27:38 AM  Show Profile Send Matt Morgan a Private Message  

The idea of a guest speaker is a pearler...maybe some videos from Duke featuring classic chairs? A bloke in the BSA Club can organise big screens and projectors etc.

What would also be nice is if Buck could find out in advance where the booze buses are setting up that night.......
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  12:23:32 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Patrick Fletcher from Broadford is happy to submit some door prizes of practise day passes etc.
What else is there available?
I suggest the Nottinghill Hotel in Melbourne because it is close to the Freeway system which should suit most people, and the Sidecar club meets there so we may get some good deals.

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 23 Oct 2008 1:47:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Matt Morgan
Level 2 Member

Victoria

89 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  4:09:51 PM  Show Profile Send Matt Morgan a Private Message  

We've got a SCRCV meeting next Wednesday John, I'll bring it up then.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  4:19:16 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I have written to MV to see if they will help with promotion and management, it would be good if they took something like this on board a bit to promote motorcycling overall. I suggest we invite the MV executive along anyway and have the Pres. on a freebie to represent MV and the others would need to pay.
If we charge more than the meal cost, run raffles etc few promotional items we will have funds to promote the event.
And perhaps we should invite the Race Marshals along as a way of thanking them for their efforts, they would need to pay for their tickets.

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 23 Oct 2008 5:01:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Matt Morgan
Level 2 Member

Victoria

89 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  9:19:03 PM  Show Profile Send Matt Morgan a Private Message  

Again, a couple of great ideas! What about I contact Jim Scaysbrook and seeing if he would be interested in promoting and / or covering it in Classic Bike Australasia?

Jenny Martinez had already done the hard work for us as far as contact details for past riders and passengers. She organised the Little River Reunion.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2008 :  10:09:08 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Good points Matt.
Can you contact Jenny?
As for Jim Scarsbrook I reckon that would be good, we just need to think about a time of the year, confirm the pub is available and move on from there.
I guess if the lists are around, and I can work with the Veterans group who have a dinner in May each year, we could look at June / July 2009 perhaps.

Dave may even set up something here to keep the idea separate and somewhere we can send people to for information in any advertising.
As for advertising we can use club newsletters and web sites, the HMRAV program may be available, the MA and MV web sites along with perhaps ther NSW and SA ones as well.

We may need to look at available Motels etc and I think there are many in the area.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Matt Morgan
Level 2 Member

Victoria

89 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  12:07:19 PM  Show Profile Send Matt Morgan a Private Message  

The last time I spoke to Jim he was running 2 issues ahead, so I'll contact him first and ascertain what lead time he requires.

No worries with Jenny, I'll call her in the next day or two.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  12:35:26 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I wonder if the Nott has room for some outfits across the eras?
I rang the pub and spoke with Bill.

They have the Saloon Bar for private functions, which would take 100 people, finger food is the best option in there, meals for 100 may be hard for them to manage in the saloon Bar, buy your own grog, $100 deposit, refundable with the food account.
Meals would be available elsewhere in the pub.
Perhaps we could promote have dinner in the Bistro etc by 8pm and slip over to the Function room [ Saloon Bar]at 8pm
It is only available from 7pm and there is no charge for the use of the Saloon room.

Perhaps Matt, you could check when you are down there next week. I cannot make it on Wednesday but I also think we can do the planning via email and this web site.

I have got 3 guest speakers from road race, scrambles and speedway. Lindsday Urquart can identify about 20 older riders so we are well on the way.

We should create an excel chart with all the participants.

With finger food available we could have a charge of $10 a head.
We need to ask do we need food because some may not eat it, others may not go to the dining room and others may come straight from home. Decision required here.

Finally we could promote Function room available from 7pm, dinner available within teh pub, try Bistro, and our sidecar function will formally start at 8.15pm with the first Guest speaker.

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 24 Oct 2008 2:40:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

Matt Morgan
Level 2 Member

Victoria

89 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2008 :  1:24:56 PM  Show Profile Send Matt Morgan a Private Message  

Leave it with me John, and I'll have a shufti.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  09:48:10 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

It seems there was some disinterest from members of the sidecar club of Victoria.

The new plan will be operated by the management committees of Road race and Historic. The venue will change to the Oakliegh Bowling club and we can self cater with the kitchens being available.

If you want to get involved, please indicate here or call me on 03 9888 4387.

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 31 Oct 2008 10:49:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Matt Morgan
Level 2 Member

Victoria

89 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  8:43:17 PM  Show Profile Send Matt Morgan a Private Message  

G'Day John, no, there was no 'disinterest' from the SCRCV. There was some doubt as to whether the dinner could survive as an annual event. The consensus was it would be more successful as a one-off.

I had a good look around the Nott, and there isn't really any secure area where outfits could be displayed. As a MFB firefighter, I can see that the management will have dramas with insurance because of the flammable liquids contained in fuel tanks etc if the chairs are displayed indoors. Unfortunately, this is the world we live in!

Please bear in mind that I couldn't find anyone from management to talk to on the night, so I am speaking from experience only.

As far as the meeting went, there was gratitude expressed at the amount of work you've already put into the idea, and general agreement that it would be a great night. This especially extended to the ideas of guest speakers and maybe films.

Please be assured the SCRCV is happy to be involved, and look forward to throwing many more ideas around!

Best regards,

Matt
(Vice Prez and all-round top bloke)
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  8:59:10 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Great to hear that Matt.
I somehow got a different interpretation of the feeling, but I may have missed the 'annual' bit. I hope it turns into an annual event.

So lets move on. I spoke with the Oakleigh Bowling club where the whole area would be for us. We can control easily who can get in. There is no room for outfits but they have kithcherns we can use and perhaps self cater.
I think we should consider employing somebody to assist with food, I know a couple of women who may. Both have the necessary certificates.
The rooms would have a fee to use.

I have drafted a form we coould use for pre payment of say $8 which would include a single beer drink offer, or $10 at the door on the night.

6th June 2009 is good for them and the parking is very good.

We need somebody to accept mail and return tickets, I have credit card facilities so we can take them, and I can help with phone calls but if somebody else can that would be better.

I think we should also ask the Rce Marshals along they never get invited. But when I was at the Isle of Mann, they had their own special night so I thought it would be good to try at anything I was involved with.
If we run a raffle for a try out at the next sidecar try day and perhaps some other things taht are different, say some practise laps on my outfit. Some trade people may want to offer goodies and these could be used to help the marshals, anothe ridea I got off Patrick Fletcher.

We should think about a few freebie invites
Patrick Fletcher
President of MV
President of Race Marshals.
Any other suggestions are welcome.

If we recognise those who have helped us that will be a good gesture.

Please feel free to praise or offer an alternative view please.

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 01 Nov 2008 1:51:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2008 :  9:41:46 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

Very happy to help as much as I can - and very happy to buy a ticket for the night.
Will even pay more for a photo of all the outfits on the bowling green!!!
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2008 :  1:54:21 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

date is 6th June 2009

Cost
$8 with one drink ticket pre paid
$10 at the door

Booking form will be placed on this site in a few days.
A Poster has been designed and it shall be placed also.

John Feakes has agreed to accept mail ticket orders by credit card or cash.
The event will be managed by the Historic and Road race management committees.
The HMRAV and the SCRCV are promoting it.

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 03 Nov 2008 8:12:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

peen0_0
Level 3 Member

Victoria

224 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  1:19:00 PM  Show Profile Send peen0_0 a Private Message  

Egggzellent! Thanks for all of the hard work.
I'll be a definite starter, but can I bring the boss along?
Who and where do I pay?
I also like the Saturday night date. It might help persuade a few more of us from the scrub to come along?
Additionally, not sure if I can be of much help from up here (Bendigo) but I can lay my hands on a data projector and screen if that helps?
I'll give Buck a razzing to get him there as well.
Cheers, Tony.
Go to Top of Page

Bretta
Level 2 Member

Victoria

57 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  4:02:12 PM  Show Profile Send Bretta a Private Message  

Great work John,
I believe the Brass Balls Team will be there, and yes, we promise to behave ourselves, might even get Bondy to wear his good shirt ..... thats if he can find it .....
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2008 :  8:22:50 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Maybe we will need to make it "Black Tie" to get a good standard set in place.
The Melbourne Cricket Club has a dress standard, I will get a copy.
Men - No blueys, no shorts, no thongs on feet or in pants, neck ties must be worn, crevats are OK.
All men must have a beard, women optional.
Women - No bare midriffs, shorts or thongs either.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Buck
Level 2 Member

Victoria

26 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  07:48:22 AM  Show Profile Send Buck a Private Message  

John, I can show you how to produce a "brazillian neck tie" everthing eventually turns black I can assure you.... If you need a hand with anything let me know, I have a bit of flexibility during work hours and can run around during the day if need be, your taxes at work.

Cheers,

Buck

There is a bear in there and a bundy as well....
Go to Top of Page

Geoffpgrant
Level 3 Member

South Australia

204 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  11:00:32 AM  Show Profile Send Geoffpgrant a Private Message  

Sorry I am a bit late buying into this discussion but it had eluded me until I got a whisper of it at Mac Park over the weekend. Overall it sounds like a great idea and I am keen to attend. My only question is about the location! If you are wanting interstaters to come then what about somewhere that is more convenient? My calculation is that Oakleigh is somewhere east of Melbourne. We already travel to Vic enough but to have to cross Melbourne adds another hour or more to our trip. The concept of Ballarat or Daylesford was much more attendee friendly for interstaters from the north or west. They also offered the option of accommodation for people who travel in buses or campers - we can't all afford $150+ a night hotels! Finally there are a few old sidecar people around Adelaide and I don't know if they are on the list or not so maybe you could publish the list of names you have and then people like me might be able to see who needs to be chased up.
Geoff
Sidecar #30
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2008 :  7:55:36 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Thanks for the feedback Geoff.
There did not seem to be support for the Daylesford function.

Oakleigh is on the edge of the Monash Freeway and only 20 mins from the city. This concept was initially planned to draw on the eligible members in Vic., and no thought was given that interstate people would be interested. Of course everybody is most welcome. Following on from that thought, perhaps the template can be taken back home as well.
In an effort to get something happening,I decided to consider an event where any person from the past as well as present was made welcome. This sparked more interest, so I chose a place which some clubs now use and is close to the freeway system. I did think at the back of my mind that if people wanted to travel to the event we could set up some sort of billeting and that now seems necessary.

I will work out some way of listing those contacted. John Feakes, Lindsay Urquart and I have been making notes and talking about it so we have some work completed already.
I may need to use the sidecar site where I can put up a document which can be modified as required.

Remember we were not too sure how the night would go, seeing I have tried to do a similar thing for all arcers and nothing came of it. I changed to sidecar teams only and we have started to get traction on the idea.

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 02 Jun 2009 3:02:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2009 :  9:54:59 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Invites are going out everywhere. If you know a retired sidecar racer from any discipline, either tell them about the event or send me the details via a PM and I shall follow it up.

If you want accomodation near the place or in Melbourne, drop me a line we may be able to help.

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 30 Apr 2009 1:45:44 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.35 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services