Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Promotion of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Come N Try - Broadford 2009
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2009 :  2:38:27 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

The HMRAV ran a Come and try day on 5 Dec. 2009 it must must go down as an unqualified success.
At least 90 people were involved, I have never seen so many relaxed and content people at the race track. We had about 40 current racers and we issued 50 Rec. licenses to newcomers, had 5 or so join the club and many newbie’s who have never been on the track come and say how enjoyable it was. I encouraged them to buy a 1970’s bike and come and play with us.

Special thanks to John Feakes for coming at 8am and helping with acceptances, Trevor Hoy and his two friends for marshalling all day with me and Patrick Schneider who sat on turn 1 for a long time.
Also, to be mentioned in dispatches, Rod Asher who took over management of the cooking to ensure it ran as well as it could since I did not cater properly for the numbers at all. Thanks Rod.

We ran 5 groups, sidecars, newbie’s and road bikes, racers, Indian club members on a 10 minute or so rotation. As the day wore on some sessions went longer depending on how many were waiting on the dummy grid.
I employed limited microphone work, relying on riders being aware of when they were on. I deliberately did not want to be blasting the speakers with announcements and worrying about movement of groups and time, the laid back approach was calming.

We started with all newbie’s following behind somebody who knew the track for 4 laps to see where it went, but since so many arrived after 11am they missed the sighting laps.
We ran staggered starts and all riders came through the pit lane area to teach them not to swing out in front of anybody.
I closed the gate for the last 2 minutes of each session, since people were coming and going on and off the track sorting things, placed the “ 2 minutes” sign out, flagged the riders in and then held up the “30 second “ sign prior to opening the gate for track entry.
Everybody worked out the 2 minute and 30 second signs were an estimate only but seemed to accept it.

I also used the 2 minute sign to wave to racers in the pits to signal what was happening if they seemed to be dragging their feet. There was no shouting.
The day was relaxing and fun filled, the track was occupied all the time with no waste of time, we had no crashes, offs nor burns, people were running out of petrol and I think 30 – 60 laps were the range of track time.

The greatest emotion was pleasure.

Next time we need the following;
- Do a head count at say 11am for catering.
- Get salads etc in also
- Have arm bands to check if everybody is booked in
- 5 corner marshals and two on the grid including the Senior official would be good
- Some refreshments for the officials during and after the show
- Refreshments for all participants afterwards.
- Sun screen, water etc for officials
- Licence renewal forms as well as the membership and entry forms.
- A sign suggesting people ask for a sidecar ride
- A sign reminding people it is a come n try and test and tune day not a cheap practise day
- I suggest we have the canteen open.
I have already asked Patrick for another date so we can run two days next year.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Edited by - john on 06 Dec 2009 8:40:27 PM

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2009 :  3:46:48 PM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

Outstanding effort by you and your helpers on behalf of the HMRAV John, and made more so by the better-than-expected rollup, a healthy sign that the interest is still there. Surely a sign that events of this nature are worth adopting.
Go to Top of Page

CB72
Level 2 Member

39 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2009 :  4:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit CB72's Homepage Send CB72 a Private Message  

That is outstanding. Well done HMRAV and everyone involved.

Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  10:34:53 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

John, that was a great day and I am happy that I was able to contribute to it.
I had several people ask me when the next one would be held so we must do it again.
I think that it is the sort of event that could lead to more interest in our form of racing and will put together some words explaining what we do.
I also think that if we could mount a display of bikes with information sheets we may stimulate new interest.
Here's to the future of the past.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  12:18:09 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I like to think that the club is continuing to lead with ideas and concepts.
Sure some want to put the case we are not caring or listening, but personally I am pretty happy with the way things are progressing. Currently we are trying to get racers themselves to accept responsibility for helping to grow their particulr race numbers and some are doing just that.
When we look like having full grids in all clases I guess we will need to look further afield. But we have room for many more bikes with no additional costs nor squeeze to the program and that is a healthy position to be in.
If a good idea is developed I am confident it will be adopted, but it must be practical and attractive enough to induce riders to it. new classes for coodabeens are not ok.
I have asked for more dates, and we will see where we get with that.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Edited by - john on 07 Dec 2009 1:00:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2009 :  10:05:33 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

I do think that the Come & Try conducted by the HMRAV was a great day.....but

For 40 current racing members to get a real cheap practice day when John D & John F were over worked to keep up with the admin. plus the feeding of all and sundry does not reflect well on your racing club members.

As an example the Broadford & Districts Club had a similar day and from the 138 people who turned up to ride they all joined up on the day and are now current members. Broadford Club provided 25 + officals and none of their current members rode during the day. They were there to help their club join up new members - something that was lost to the HMRAV membership.

The free track hire days are allowed to help boost your club membership - 5 or 6 new members for the HMRAV is very poor when you compare.
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  1:53:22 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Patrick, I can't really comment on your observations as I was trapped at my desk all day.
The plan was to have experienced racers acting as mentors for the new comers.
In return for their services they got track time of their own.
I hope this actually happened.
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

NicM
Level 2 Member

Victoria

85 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2009 :  3:51:49 PM  Show Profile Send NicM a Private Message  

Great day!

Not so much as to come and try racing, but to come test the changes I've made to the bike. More of these days will be a huge benefit to novices like me.

Thanks.

Nic
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services