Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Forgotten Era
 250 forgotten era
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

jim
Level 1 Member

Victoria

3 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  4:40:52 PM  Show Profile Send jim a Private Message  

hi i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. im looking to get started in classic racing. I have a bsa that i intend to race in p4 but that's a way off being built for now and thought i might try and build a cheap forgotten era bike out of a honda cb250 rs i have, that is a road bike with a 4 stroke single. i don't expect to be that competitive to start with but felt a bit unsure if that model would be a welcome entry in a field dominated by 2 strokes. is anyone else riding 4 strokes out there? any advice would be appreciated. thank you.

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  5:28:06 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Any bike you decide to play with will cost you money. You'd be better off finding a good 70s 250cc Yamaha two stroke and developing it. For P5 RD250LC is eligible, and I happen to have one which is probably worth about $800. Aircooled RD250s are also around. The thing is that TZ parts fit, and development is easy as the racing parts are available (at a price). If you start to play with something which was never raced in any form, even as a production racer, the task gets difficult, and much more expensive. I'd avoid racing a 250 Yamaha in P4 - you're stuck with the R5/R3 models, and they're a bit rare.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  5:32:58 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

I appreciate that you like four strokes, and I do too. But I was still racing a 500cc Triumph in the early seventies for that reason. The reality is that any two stroke of half your bikes capacity will absolutely blitz you. It's a lot of expense if you never get good competitive rides.

Edited by - glen20 on 19 Jun 2010 5:33:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

jim
Level 1 Member

Victoria

3 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  2:08:24 PM  Show Profile Send jim a Private Message  

hi, yeah that sounds like good advice. is that rd250 you are talking about a stock one or an old racer?
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2010 :  2:16:01 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

It was registered until about 3 years ago, never raced, but has done about 20 laps of Winton on a practice day. Mechanically it's very good but it's been standing a while. If you want it give me a ring on (03) 5762 5697, but I'm not interested in any tyre kicking
Go to Top of Page

jim
Level 1 Member

Victoria

3 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2010 :  7:29:22 PM  Show Profile Send jim a Private Message  

hi this is jim. you can sent any pics of the rd to me at jqr1000@hotmail.com if you want and il give you a ring or something. cheers.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  10:52:53 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Go for it JImbo.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services