Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 Forgotten Era
 New era! Which era?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

dinkiracer
Level 1 Member

Victoria

5 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  12:21:14 AM  Show Profile Send dinkiracer a Private Message  

Hey-Does an actually existing old racing bike need to be made legal for these new regulations.Are there eligibility exceptions for identity bikes that in their original state are of considerable value.I'm reading the forum entries relating to some rules regarding secondary oil cover/covers!?Whilst they are a great track safety improvement;I entered this website thinking I might find some info that could help me decide if its worth bringing an old racer out of the shed.Yet I sense that it may be-due to the competitive nature of the guys contributing here;better for me to build a replica of my own bike -thus allowing me to modify it along the way to stay in the frame!I'm a bit confused though-as I kinda thought historic racing was for bikes that used to race?Yet I watched a you tube video with Ashley Beaton's kid riding some Vincent thing-I was racing then-at nearly every meeting on the east coast-and THERE WERE NO VINCENTS PASSING No32 back then(I don't even remember anyone racing any Vincent powered bike in solo unlimited races,even with an egli frame!/there was one in classics;and in sidecars-yet not on the unlimited grid!So-forgetting for a moment-the importance of winning;Is historic racing-forgotten era-and new era; a derivative class that is cultured to provide developmental scope for improved versions of older bikes-or is it a fun class that I can bring an old F1 racer out of the shed and just put some new tyres on and have a go for fun.It may be a small point -yet i'm curious as to what you fellow racers would prefer to see me racing?Would the ACTUAL BIKE that beat the V8 hondas fair &square in the 87 Swann series&won the ARAI500 be welcome -just as it was raced then?Would it instead be a much better plan to just get the FZ Iride to the shops and rebuild that with some trick materials and updated technology-so that it can be updated as I remember how to ride!.I am older now-and like it that old bikes are being replicated and going faster than they ever did(Its really quite an interesting engineering challenge)-yet if this historic racing is so competitive and intensive-Maybe I can have more FUN doing modern racing in a clubman Single class.My idea is that vintage bike racing is primarily about showing and demonstrating the racebikes of yesteryear amidst a light hearted atmosphere!.Yet if the participants are going to have bikes with improved rideability in the same way as the latest models:In a historical sense-if my opinion is of value-the divisions of classes -need to be brought more into line with technologically separated eras-rather than a date cutoff.To clarify what I mean;1983-1989,is the period class my bike can go in.Yet if you ask anyone who was racing in August 1985 whether they would have bring out a 1983 race bike to seriously compete against 50 GSXR750 F,s in various stages of kitted development-they'd have either thought that you were nuts!or just laugh.That time was-without doubt-one example of a huge step forward in the machinery aspect of racing;YET-as far as I can see from the cutoff dates-that's what you want to have in the race.A steel frame /alloy frame,division-sounds fair-yet back in 85-a steel framed FZ750n with a race kit was competitive against an alloy framed kittedGSXR 750.The pre modern class- has me intrigued:running up to 95-when the real generational change in high performance street bikes was more likely in 93-0r 94.Some of you may agree-or it might be too late to be bothered about it!Some of you may be able to explain the clas divisions to me so that I understand the logic embodied within the date periods,from a true racers,perspective,bearing in mind that no racer wants to start with a losing battle as the status quo?Yet if you do have an early eighties bike-why not just go in the race against similar bikes?That way-the spectators get a display and a real race.The bike in my shed wears the no 49.I'd like to ride it just as it was ridden by its builder-as a tribute to one of Australia's greatest racers-(rip,Lenny)If I had to change the bike to put composite covers and other things on it-then-I might instead seriously think about building a replica-just like that No 32 I see goin'around!SO guys!Can I race a REAL historic F1-bike as it was raced in 1987-or should I just bring it to the track in a ute-all shiny ,so people can look at it;and jump on a hotted up/tricked up version with a plethora of new age materials and innovations.Just so Ican be competitive?WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK. PS-I've also got the Bruce Collins and Chris DiNuzzio STP'Yellow peril'TZ750 POWERED SIDECAR-and would be interested to hear from anyone who may want to restore& race it again .Ithink it's one of the last 'Urquart steel chassis',and it was was a very successful combination back in the 'early eighties'.Regards-ABA/85

racer7
Level 2 Member

67 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  05:44:05 AM  Show Profile Send racer7 a Private Message  

Geez dinki, that's hard reading!Lots of questions! My probably useless advice, is do what you want to do. Have fun and enjoy competing against some of your former rivals. If you really have to win, buy the Rob Phillis bike, or Nowland's machine. Or get out there and have some fun. Don't worry about the 'spectators', they are few and far between. Evan a major event like the Barry Sheene would possibly only have had a couple of hundred paying diehards! From personal observation at the 'Sheene', 90% of the competitors were just overjoyed that their old dungers actually started, let alone finished a race!
Less talk, and we'll see you out there soon?
racer7
Go to Top of Page

revhd
Level 2 Member

Victoria

108 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  09:20:25 AM  Show Profile Send revhd a Private Message  

My old eyes cannot read it,,break it up with some paragraphs please

125 alliance
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  10:12:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

The originals belong in a museum, for prosperity. "Visually indistinguishable" replicas need to be on the track complete with slipper clutches, 9 speed gearboxes, traction control, Ohlins & me in the saddle. I can guarantee a write up in REVS & free ads for sponsors.
Bummers

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services