Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Promotion of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 New ideas needed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2010 :  09:56:47 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

PROMOTION OF HISTORIC RACING

As a racer I love it when there is a crowd of spectators, and when there are mobs of people walking around at lunch time looking at the machines and talking to racers I feel the club has achieved a lot in terms of promotion. I entered racing in 1970 as a spectator at Calder who suddenly got the idea to jump the fence and compete.
I believe the potential for new racers to come over is enhanced with our meetings.
BUT, I think we can do more and I am asking members to think about additional ideas or even things you can do yourselves.
Here are a few things you could do;
- Get promotional flyers and put them up around your area of work and home
- Hand out the promotional tickets the club prints to people who may be tempted to come along if its a bargain
- Talk about the events with your mates
- Come up with any idea to help improve the crowd size.

Paying spectators enable the club to keep our fees down so evrything you can do to help gives a measurable effect.

Please think about it and act apon it.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2010 :  1:47:02 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

I think we need to try to get the press on side.
We can't afford to advertise on tv but we probably could persuade a few journos to give us some pre event publicity. Maybe resort to bribery and corruption to achieve this?
Any other suggestions out there?
Cheers, John

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2010 :  4:08:12 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Haven't we heard this stuff many times previously?
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2010 :  4:13:44 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

I've got a good idea - ring Heinz Schluter at Hartwell, and ask him how he gets such a big crowd to Phillip Island!
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2010 :  4:29:44 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Yes many times, but very few ideas are presented.
Unfortunately nbew ideas are not coming across and it would help if we got some. I wished racers actually helped promoting the events, it would be great to have 2000 at Broadford.
Which meeting?

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Edited by - john on 25 Jun 2010 4:31:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

NicM
Level 2 Member

Victoria

85 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2010 :  8:30:51 PM  Show Profile Send NicM a Private Message  

I reckon you need to think web, maybe register on facebook and start a page for the club.

You could get some youtube vids and pictures up easily, market and promote the races and other events for free and create some great interest.
Go to Top of Page

NicM
Level 2 Member

Victoria

85 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2010 :  8:37:43 PM  Show Profile Send NicM a Private Message  

Just to give you an indication of how powerful a tool facebook is, there is an aussie page 'Kelly Underwood should not commentate AFL' that has 35,000 members.

There are numerous motorcycle pages but not many for classic racing or clubs in Australia. It is very big in the UK and USA, it will take off here too.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2010 :  07:35:41 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

OK so how do we get a club Facebook page?
I am happy to try it. Can two people manage the page IE you and I?

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2010 :  08:24:36 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Perhaps Twitter would be more appropriate?
Go to Top of Page

NicM
Level 2 Member

Victoria

85 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2010 :  08:43:20 AM  Show Profile Send NicM a Private Message  

Easy, I've sent you the link, setup your profile (just make sure that you go to the privacy page and hide your D.O.B and anything else you don't want the world to see.)

Once you have done that it takes about 10 minutes to create a page for the club.

It's a piece of cake and I'm happy to help manage it. If you having problems feeling your way around I can set it up, just send me what you do and dont want listed, you have my email.
Go to Top of Page

NicM
Level 2 Member

Victoria

85 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2010 :  08:56:21 AM  Show Profile Send NicM a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by glen20

Perhaps Twitter would be more appropriate?

Why not, do both, might as well take advantage of what is free.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2010 :  09:02:25 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

link has not yet arrived

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2010 :  1:14:09 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Site has been set up now.
HMRAV Historic Motorcycle racing

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  09:05:34 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Well done.
Let's hope it does the job.
I do, however, feel that anything that is aimed at the converted is a serious restriction.
There are many thousands of people out there who might, just might, like to do something different on their weekend.
Somehow we have to tell them that something different is available.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  2:01:15 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

The hardest thing about historic bike racing as you get older, is to keep the urge going. I recently entered my shed again after six months not even looking at my bikes. I'm starting to feel that we don't need new ideas. The old ones were pretty good - like that Australian Senior and Junior TTs which were the main race of the year back then. Were always held over 6 laps of the host circuit. You could run them over 20 laps of Broadford, and allow MX tyres?
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  7:51:55 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I have been pushing for longer races to change the emphasis from a srpint to a longer event. BUT I have no support at the moment. I would love a 20 lap sidecar event it would introduce tactics, endurance things we dont see today.

The ideas aI am looking for is to attract spectators.
Our racer numbers are improving, but particular classes are still down and we have room for them.
I hope by getting spectataors along we will finds some jump the fence.

John Daley Sidecar #68

Edited by - john on 27 Jun 2010 7:53:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2010 :  9:53:04 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

John, I suggest ONE feature race per meeting where the bikes are all of the SAME TYPE! e.g. the Junior Historic GP for two strokes and multis of any period, and promote it!
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  7:51:34 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

What happened to the 'new ideas'?
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2010 :  7:53:59 PM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

I've got a 'new idea'! How about we all have a ride at the Interclub? - What a lot of BULLSH1T?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services