Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Classic, Historic & Post Classic Motorcycling
 General Comments
 CB750 tappet covers leaking oil
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2013 :  3:48:21 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

At a recent meeting it was alleged that the tappet covers on the 750 Honda 4's need to be drilled and wired because they may come off and leak. Has anybody had such a problem, and if so, did any oil come out? Thanks

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2013 :  6:59:25 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Hi John, I did lose one at a race meeting and yes it did leak a little oil out. Not enough to be seriously dangerous but bad enough to be a nuisance and I wouldnt go out without one on.

Alan Sidecar21 WA
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2013 :  9:25:15 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Alan, what about the need to wire them?

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

Historic
Level 2 Member

New South Wales

46 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2013 :  10:25:12 AM  Show Profile Send Historic a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

There is no need to lock wire them.
I believe that this misunderstanding came from an over zealous steward whom apparently not only doesn't understand the rules, their intent or indeed the scope and authority of his own position at a race meeting.
Before everyone reaches for the lock-wire pliers perhaps it would be more effective that the SCB ensure that there is some level of experience in Historic road racing when appointing officials.
Historic
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2013 :  2:05:11 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Thanks, I will follow up

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2013 :  4:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Haven't sidecars got a bad enough reputation yet?

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2013 :  09:20:57 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

What are you saying Bummers?
Are you displaying envy?
Are you suggesting solos dont drop oil?

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2013 :  11:27:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

quote:
Originally posted by john

What are you saying Bummers?
Are you displaying envy?
Are you suggesting solos dont drop oil?

Very envious John

But why not wire them, if there is a risk of them undoing? I try to wire anything on my solos that might come undone or leak.
I'd rather make the end of the race & negate the risk of oil dropping on the track.
It ain't THAT hard to drill & wire a set of tappet covers. Once they are done - they're done.
Actually I've been using garden wire to wire the more frequently used items - it's soft, pliable & cheap. Still use stainless tie wire on brakes & infrequently used nuts & bolts (& tappet covers )

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2013 :  3:29:07 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

I dont have a position on the matter, but in 20 years of dealing with Hond CB750 its not been an issue.
I am just looking for feedback to find out if it has been a problem, or if its not an issue. I cant explain why nobody has picked up on it earlier, unless it was done 25 years ago and cleared.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Jerry
Level 2 Member

South Australia

68 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2013 :  07:27:46 AM  Show Profile Send Jerry a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Dear All, Honda CB72/77s also have tappet covers. Never had one come loose in earlier years but do lockwire them now but only to keep scrutineering issues to a minimum. Also have lockwire holes in other unnecessary? parts just in case scrutineers get funny. The MOMS can be interpreted in so many ways. As an example I have walked away shaking my head regarding brake caliper bolts being lockwired and the nuts on the other side of the adaptor plate not. Rules and interpretations! Sometimes we all should sit down and think about the commonsense intent of the rules and then run with that. All the best Jerry

Jerry
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2013 :  1:56:34 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Thanks Jerry

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services