Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Promotion of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Island Classic 2014 - Media Release - December 19
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2013 :  05:56:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  Reply  Reply with Quote  

Received the below in e-mail yesterday, so thought that I would share:

Australia names star-studded Island Classic team
NZ, UK and USA squads announced

Local hard charger Steve Martin is confident that Australia will more than meet the threat of a strengthened United Kingdom outfit - and against a backdrop of visitor-friendly rule changes - when the International Challenge teams' trophy is held at the 2014 Australian Motorcycle News International Island Classic in Phillip Island from January 24-26.

Squads were announced today for the marquee event of the Classic, the Tahbilk International Challenge, featuring teams from Australia, the UK, the USA and New Zealand.

Martin is one of 12 riders in the Australian squad at the now-iconic historic motorcycle meeting, alongside such luminaries as Shawn Giles, Rob Phillis, Cam Donald, Malcolm Campbell and Beau Beaton, who all competed at the 2013 event.

But it wasn't only the top-tier practitioners who helped Australia continue its unbeaten run in the 2013 Challenge - its extraordinary depth also played a vital role, as it has since the trophy was inaugurated back in 2005.

That 'loophole' has now been closed in 2014, with the winning country to be determined according to points accumulated by the top five riders in each country across the four six-lap races. Previously, points – or a lack thereof – were awarded to all 10 riders in the team.

The rule changes will give the visiting teams, the United Kingdom, the Dave Crussell led US team and New Zealand under the helm of Kevin Grey, a real chance of winning in 2014. This is especially true for the UK outfit which has been fortified with the inclusion of Isle of Man legend John McGuinness to compete alongside Jeremy McWilliams, the individual winner in two of the last three years, and fellow blue-chip talent Gary Johnson, Mike Edwards and Steve Brogan. McGuinness is a 20-time winner at the Isle of Man, second only to the incomparable Joey Dunlop.

Martin senses a UK storm is brewing, but he still believes the Aussies have too much class.

"The Poms keep on changing the rules until they win, so they'll have to win eventually," he said, tongue firmly in cheek. "I'm all for it. Bring them over, they can have the strongest team they want. We've still got a great depth of riders.

"It's great news to hear that John McGuinness is coming out next year. They may have the big names, but they have still got to put down the lap times. One thing's for sure: I am not gonna let McGuinness beat me!"

Melbourne's Cam Donald will race a Suzuki XR69 in the International Challenge and is looking forward to taking on his Isle of Man sparring partner, the UK's John McGuinness.

"I won't underestimate John because he's a great rider and has been doing lots of short circuit racing over the last few years in world endurance events, so racing at Phillip Island isn't going to be such a surprise for him," said Donald, who will race a Suzuki XR69 in the International Challenge.

"We've had some great battles, but it will be good to take on John in my own backyard for a change."
"John is definitely going to make it a lot harder for Australia to win. McWilliams is also brilliant and Brogan is an exceptional rider as well."

McGuinness will be making his first appearance at Phillip Island, having been forced to sit out the Australian round of the world supersport title in 2002 with injury when he was a full-time campaigner. Since then his career has blossomed, particular on the heart-in-mouth Isle of Man circuit, where he has 20 TT victories to his name. In one of those – the Senior TT in 2008 – McGuinness was gifted victory after the blindingly fast Donald ran into mechanical problems.
Last year, Australia's Shawn Giles won the individual component of the 2013 International Challenge, ahead of McWilliams, Donald and another Aussie, Michael Dibb. The icing on the cake for Giles was a new historic lap record of 1:36.920 - tearing strips off Martin's former mark of 1:38.666, set in 2012.

The searing pace in 2013 was aided and abetted by the recently resurfaced Phillip Island layout, with the historics the first major class to get a taste of the new bump-free 4.45km layout.

The 12-rider Australian squad for the 2014 Tahbilk International Challenge will eventually be trimmed to 10 for the races by Aussie captain Rex Wolfenden. The same number of pilots will also compete for the UK, New Zealand and American teams.

The Tahbilk International Challenge competitors are on track all three days of competition with two races scheduled for Saturday and two races for Sunday.

Tickets are family priced, with children 15 and under, accompanied by an adult FREE. Adult three-day GA is $70, Adult Sunday only GA is $45. On circuit camping, purchased in advance is from $55 per adult, with kids 15 and under, accompanied by a paying adult FREE.

Tickets are available by downloading a ticket form at You must be logged in to see this link. by calling the circuit on 03 5952 2710; or at the gate at the 2014 AMCN International Island Classic from January 24-26. For more information visit You must be logged in to see this link.

UK, USA and NZ SQUAD LISTING FOR THE TAHBILK INTERNATIONAL CHALLENGE FOLLOW…

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2023 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2023 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services