Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Promotion of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 sub classes an idea
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2007 :  6:33:56 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I am pinching an idea from elsewhere and I wonder what people think about it.
You may remember the 750 pushrod class the HMRAV ran for a while but it faltered because of paperwork.
The idea is that racers with say 350cc Honda's or 750 Pushrod bikes create a small group to manage themselves. If they have a person for each group who is responsible to collating points etc at each race meeting and the group goes out and gets a sponsor for special trophies, then during a typical HMRAV meeting in my clubs case or a PCRA etc in NSW the sub group manager would orgainse everything and finally present the trophy for the best performing 350 Honda in that case after the main trophy presentations. It could happen over a small BBQ and afew beers and may generate interest in that particular style of racer.
Have I written the idea clearly?
Has it merit?
I can say that the " Sprinter" group within the Jag car club did this, as have the 175 Honda group in the USA and the KTM chook chaser in the UK.
It has

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  3:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

Sounds like a good idea to me.
At Mt Gambier there were 30 or so RD250/350 LC Yamahas.
A bit of point scoring amongst them could have created (could you bear it?) more beer talk!

Maybe it's not such a good idea :)

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  10:16:55 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Who and what typoe of machines do you think would be involved. Remember, the idea is to have it self managed.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  9:59:49 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Has anybody thought this may be worthwhile?
Some feed back to help plan something is required before we actually do anything.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2007 :  10:49:27 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

It's been said elsewhere, that if we keep going we'll have a class for every machine. I suggest it's more important to have events based on TYPES of machine. E.g. The Australian Historic TT for fourstroke singles and twins. The Australian Historic MotoGP for two strokes and multis. The Historic Superbike Championship. Each of these would be promotable in it's own right. What we don't need is subclasses such as the 'periods' in which 'the rules' bias racing results towards only ONE model in many cases. I cannot see any sense in a 'pushrod' class! At least in P3 a two valve Jawa featherbed frame is enough to blow off most manxes. So what are you guys on about? In period 4 the reason that British twins are left at home in the garage doesn't have anything to do with O/H camshafts. It has to do with a MASSIVE CAPACITY ADVANTAGE OF OVERBORED CB750S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  07:02:21 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Al, you are missing the point of this topic.
It is simply an idea for say CB350 honda riders to work together to promote cb350 hondas and encourage others to race them.
In other words those riders would assume responsibility for promoting their little section of historic racing to others.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  12:06:26 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

John,

This can work quite well, in fact that is how we got Historic sidecars going over here a while back by creating interest amongst ourselves, we even went to the extent of having bbqs away from the track to do just that and I can assure you that it worked in our case as it did later when we introduced buckets, while the bucket brigade had a group of people with self interest promoting and encouraging buckets it worked very well and once they had moved on to real racing, that should cause a stir, buckets gradually faded into oblivion.
Quite obviously if someone can find the time to promote and encourage a particular group then it will grow. This is something that regular committees do not usually have the time for amongst all their other duties. this is something that the ordinary members can do to benefit their own racing.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2007 :  6:50:34 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I have seen it happen in other pursuits and I hope members see a direct benefit for them selves by trying it.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2007 :  10:14:42 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

John, I can see a lot of merit in Special Interest Groups, and I'm aware that certain promoters have stated that 'if you can get a grid of 20 vehicles, you can have your own race in our programme'. I'm against any 'one size fits all' approach, and I'm particularly critical of the synthetic 'period' approach to historic racing. I was greatly encouraged to see a couple of Wodonga guys build 750cc CB750s, and contest the 750 class. I've told them 'when there are six of you I'll reduce the capacity of my Norton, and come and join you'

Go to Top of Page

Black Pete
Level 1 Member

Northern Territory

14 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  11:49:01 AM  Show Profile Send Black Pete a Private Message  

Gents,
There is a proposal for P3 700's & P4 750's to be given Championship status for next year. It has been treated as a non championship sub class for a few years now & it may encourage those with relevant machinery to drag them out. Begs the question though will the P4 750,s (Suzuki/Kawasaki) take over & dominate like the existing unlimited class?
Cheers, Pete
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2007 :  12:30:16 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Well perhaps the 700 / 750 riders need to get together and encourage others to get into that class and build it up themselves. It may be the fastest way to get competition.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2007 :  9:06:46 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

The 700/750 group is a good idea, and a championship class will no doubt help. However the Championships occur only a couple of times each year. If every other race for these bikes is filled with big bore four cylinder bikes of over 1000cc, it becomes a major disincentive. I know it's impossible to turn back the clocks and make the bikes the capacity the original manufactuer intended. You blokes know full well why there are almost no British bikes in P4 or P5!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services