Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with us
Advertise with us

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 HSB Historic Superbikes
 IDEA Historic Superbike Series
 New Topic New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic 
Page: of 5
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2007 :  2:46:25 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I am fishing for support to take advantage of the popularity of Historic Superbikes with spectators to see if there is support for a 6 event Historic Superbike Series across the Eastern States. Why the Eastern States, because it is simpler that way and if it works we may be able to do something later with other states.
It would need about 12 machines to be a success, whose would be in.
More later if it gets support.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."

Alan
Forum Moderator

Western Australia

353 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2007 :  7:46:14 PM  Show Profile Send Alan a Private Message  

John, Forgive my ignorance but what is the criteria for a Historic Superbike.
Obviously it would be hard to get support out of WA but you never know someone may wish to take part if you get this off the ground.

Alan Sidecar 21 WA
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2007 :  8:31:07 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Just the same as Period 5 unlimited rules. But the Superbikes were the actual bikes that roared in the late 1970's.
The concept I am proposing is to retain the existing rules but to promote the Unlimited P5 bikes within a special mchallenge, just as it happened in the true period.

John Daley Sidecar #68
' there are those who do, those who dont do and those who undo. We must lampoon the latter."
Go to Top of Page

Gosling1
Level 2 Member

Australian Capital Territory

52 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  9:20:31 PM  Show Profile Send Gosling1 a Private Message  

That is a great idea, and as long as the dates didn't conflict with PCRA / ECRRS dates, and entry costs were *reasonable*, I am sure it would have enough support to get off the ground.

".....we're gonna get it this time......he had his indicator on....."
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2007 :  9:33:12 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

The plan would involve working with the promoters to use existing meetings, thus avoiding the issue we had in 2007 with 3 greta meeting on 3 consecutive weekends. What do you call a reasonable entry fee as a matter of interest?

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  08:11:15 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

The other inportant point is that if I get no feedback from anybody, it bmakes it difficult to get something happening.
Silence kills new ideas.
I need actual support for the concept to go the MV and MA and ask for assistance in getting such a series hapening.

So please make a comment rather than just read the entry, it means we will get action.

So far nearly every plan I have had, except the sidecar promotion has floundered because of lack of response from all circles. AS we see diminishing entries from older bikes , we need to do something otherwise we will have an entry field too small to run, or a meeting full of modern bikes to make it viable.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

OldKwak
Level 2 Member

Victoria

156 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  6:41:28 PM  Show Profile Send OldKwak a Private Message  

I think its a good idea but you really need support from the top riders, Loly, Phyllis etc. There is no money in it and the cost of going interstate is almost prohibitive.

Recently I spoke to one leading p5 rider and he was saying that he is cuttung back his racing because of the costs.

I think we should start with something a little less ambitious like a local series held quarterly at different tracks. If each State got that idea up they could move to getting their top riders into a team challenge at the national champs.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2007 :  7:36:03 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

There is support, the plan involves as I said at the start, piggy backing the series on top of existing meetings. The plan may include three in NSW and 3 in Vic. The riders may be able to drop their worst or nil result.
I am yet to find the tablet from the Mount that says "racing motorcycles will not cost much money"

I am looking for riders who want to race against other riders, I am not into teams because personally I have never seen team riding as exciting, there are plans to promote it to draw bigger crowds and from those crowds comes potentially more riders.
This is not Moto Gp, the costs will be the same as they are now, if you cant race now, then you will not be able to race in the series.
As for money to cover costs I promise nothing, but it may be possible to provide a blanket benefit in some way, but dont hold us to that yet.
There are not enough Historic races across the states individually to hold a reasonable series and I am not going to promote Historic racing at club, interclub meetings, they get a load of entries now and play with club licences so you cant charge the public an entrance fee.

The whole idea is to promote Historic Motorcycle Racing, to the public, provide good racing for racers and try and grow the entry fields.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

OldKwak
Level 2 Member

Victoria

156 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2007 :  11:47:48 AM  Show Profile Send OldKwak a Private Message  

Yeah well you are correct about the money, I guess I am concerned about the added cost of long distance travel being a significant disincentive.

On the other hand being able to compete in each of the local rounds would determine if you really want to go interstate for one or two rounds to have a real go at the series.

I think its worth a shot

MM
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2007 :  10:19:35 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I now have support from the HMRAV, I need feedback from the PCRA to get discussions happening from NSW. Can somebody contact me please?

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

fastsuzuki
Level 2 Member

Victoria

20 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2007 :  4:35:11 PM  Show Profile Send fastsuzuki a Private Message  

John, we have spoken about this in the past and I think that the idea is good but!! the Island Classic is the foundation for any additional racing, this way groups of P5 racers can get together on consecutive weekends including any tourists from O/S (think U.S/NZ racing in the 70,s)and potentially get good publicity. Inkow that this years Barry meeting suffered for entries due to the SBK support and vice versa but the crowds still came away pleased with action on the track.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2007 :  7:06:22 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

I see the Island Classic as being one of the meetings included in the series.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  9:53:16 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

When you start talking Historic Superbikes, you are talking about something that'd worth the $30,000 cost of televising meetings. It'd be smart to run the series so that the Poms could run at more than a few rounds after they come to the Island Classic. We need more old A graders involved (like Robbie Phillis and Mal Campbell)
Best regards,
Alan Cotterell

Is your machine authentic or merely eligible?
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  10:14:20 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Good idea I will take that on board. My biggest problem is lack of volunteeres to help plan it.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2007 :  10:50:21 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

Robbie Phillis was at Broadford on Sunday 14th, at the Junior Development day - no worries - gave the young guys heaps of encouragement [blip the throttle a bit more to stop the back wheel coming up] this guy is a legend - why do the other guns stay hidden !!
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  02:35:00 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I spoke to Robbie Phillis, Mal Ca mpbell and a few others in 2004. Robbie said 'I could do that but I'd want to win' (don't you just love him?). Mal Campbell asked a bout period 6, as he has the VFR750 he won the 83(?) Six hour with, and wants to bring it out. I believe I spoke to McGee, and he expressed interest. Gregg Johnson is still around and has a lot of potential, for anyone who wants to assist him to get a ride. There is another international rider here , carrying a few injuries, but might be interested.
I suggest a lot of those older A graders just haven't been invited to come and compete. A lot depends on who's there already. Robbie is a big drawcard!!! I was rapt to see him, Corp, and Guest get to it at Phillip Island this year. Superb racing!! I understand Robbie is comtemplating returning to moderns , so it's probably important to get 'historic superbikes' up and going soon, if we are going to attract other top riders.

Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  02:39:30 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

Sorry,I believe Mal's bike is a VF750 (RC45?). Anyway it's about an 83 model Honda.
It might be worth bending or extending 'the rules'?

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2007 :  08:05:33 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

he idea is great, the people are there I need others to help manage it.
It is not just a matter of invitations going out.
Racers are going bto have to realise meetings take effort and they should think about putting some effort in to help get this part going.
Untiln that happens not much more will take place, the name is registered, the concept has been set down, I am waiting for one more club to respond, than after that volunteeres are needed to finish the program.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  07:36:49 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

John, It'd be worth creating a few guide lines for the series and getting them down on paper. My feeling is that the cutoff date should be 1985. We'd get a few bikes like the GPZ900R, which are still cheap, and not too much different from 70s bikes.
I think the important thing is to come up with a sound concept for the series which will be viable and attractive to promote. If we can do that, there is money to run the thing.
I wouldn't be paranoid about 'the suits' moving in and profiteering. We're all adults and we've had the experience of the Laverton International Meeting of the 70s, and MotoGP. Whatever we do with Historic Superbikes, we'll keep control in our group of enthusiasts.

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2007 :  09:31:10 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Done most of that, all we need is action and volunteers and until they show it will wait. I am sick of starting things only to find there is no support with effort.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  07:51:03 AM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

John, If you've already got some basic guide lines for the series, it might be worth getting it to the historic commissionwers and out into the public arena via MA and the motorcycle press. I suggest we need a lot of input from potential competitors before moving too far with the idea.
I suggest 'draft for comment' might be the way to go.

At the moment we have modern superbikes and supersport, Terry O'Neills naked bikes, Period 5 Historic Racers, Period 6, BEARS all racing at different meetings. It might be interesting to get them all into a 'spectrum of superbikes' at one meeting, with races showing the stages of development of superbikes. The cross entries would be interesting.

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2007 :  9:42:25 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Not interested in Period 6 bikes they get racing at club and modern meetings, Naked bikes ? what are they real bikes are just bikes.
P5 solos are consiodered Superbikes.
BEARS, they are catered for and are not really part of the concept I have.
As I said the whole thing is basically set in place, we need to talk with MA and Promoters and move, but only when others volunteer to assist.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

David
Site Administrator

Australia

999 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2007 :  9:35:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit David's Homepage Send David a Private Message  

John, I would like to offer help on this one as long as it is to do with true historic's and not post the GCR's.

Would you like a hand yo get this off the ground?

Regards,

David
Webmaster & Owner of Classic Motorcycling Australia

Quote: I thought I wanted a career, turns out I just wanted to be paid.
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2007 :  09:33:37 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

YES
I am still talking with other promoters and then back to MA to check if we can keep dates across a good spread.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2007 :  11:08:54 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I can only see one problem. It'd be good to run the Historic Super bike series in the few weeks immediately after the Phillip Island meeting in January, so the Poms can stay a while and compete. The temperatures would be a problem at other circuits, I suggest the Poms would melt!

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2007 :  11:29:59 PM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Alan I dont see it as a problem, we dont want it to turn into an extended International series. It is re establishing the old series and must be spread over a longer period.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

acotrel
Advanced Member

Victoria

2147 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2007 :  9:49:40 PM  Show Profile Send acotrel a Private Message  

I discussed the historic superbike idea with one of our top riders of about 1980. He pointed out the cutoff date wasn't as important as the type of bike. GPZ900Rs were watercooled and that's where they got their extra speed. It'd be sensible to limit historic super bikes to aircooled models regardless of cutoff date , and set the cutoff date to get the maximum number of competitors into events, in keeping with the historic concept.

Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  08:04:48 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

Thanks for the extra information. WE are limited by the Dec. 1980 cut off date at the moment just for ease of operation, but it is worthy of consideration. What date did your speaker have in mind?

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

OldKwak
Level 2 Member

Victoria

156 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  10:00:46 AM  Show Profile Send OldKwak a Private Message  

Why don't we try 30 December 1982 to bring us into line with Europe and to make clear what is happening regards J Model Kawasaki's
Go to Top of Page

john
Forum Moderator

Victoria

3130 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  11:33:00 AM  Show Profile Send john a Private Message  

One problem, our current Australian Rules do not provide for a Dec. 1982 cut off and one principle of thsi idea initially is to keep it simple.

John Daley Sidecar #68
Go to Top of Page

Bummers
Level 3 Member

Queensland

244 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2007 :  7:18:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bummers's Homepage Send Bummers a Private Message  

Why aren't Z1s allowed in P5?
There must be 100s of 73 - 80 & "Crosby/Feeney/Gardner" Superbike Replicas lurking around. You never know, if they were eligible Croz, Feen &/or Wayne might be interested in riding. Croz is doing a few demo laps at the IOM, this year - he might get "the bug".

“Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting.” Steve McQueen
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic   
Next Page
 New Topic New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services