Not registered? Then you're not seeing all there is to see. Do you want to contribute? Register now by clicking HERE!

Forums  

Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia
Advertise with Classic Motorcycling Australia

All Forums
 Promotion Area of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Promotion of Historic/Classic/Post Classic
 Promoters and MA/MV
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
  Current Topic Rating: Total Rating: 0 | Join the Forum to Rate this Topic at: Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums  

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2010 :  08:52:38 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Perhaps there needs to be a rethink about the relationships between promoters and MA and MV. As I understand it the ACCA and the ACUV were set up as unions in the twenties, in an era when riders were being killed on dangerous speedways operated by people like John Wren. These days MA and MV call themselves 'controlling bodies', and seem to see themselves as promoters as well. People like O'Neill and Konsky are permitted to run superbike meetings in opposition to each other, and there seems to be little coordination of effort. Back in 1978 Murray Nankervis ran the Laverton meeting. He was an obvious schonk, but without him, it was never going to happen. I suggest MA and MV should start to think about what is good for the sport, rather than simply what is good for their bureaucracies. If someone wants to put their cash up and promote meetings they should HELP them! I understand that the Konsky round of the superbikes is not to be held at Broadford due to lack of entries - just another step in the downward spiral?

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2010 :  09:57:35 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

THEN AND NOW - WHAT HAPPENED?
The attached photo was taken in 1974. Have a look at the crowd at Winton! What's happened to turn them all away?:
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2010 :  10:46:43 AM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

Laverton was in 1976. And schonk is definitely the word...

Edited by - GD66 on 10 Jul 2010 10:47:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  08:02:43 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

He might have been a schonk, but without him we'd never have seen the international riders. Or seen Ken Blake hose off Ago. Without the schonks motorcycling back then would have been pretty barren! So who is going to bring the next lot of internationals - MA ?
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  10:16:02 AM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

We need to get the mass media on side just as "football" has.
This may mean that we have to lift our game and offer media centres where journos can work in comfort. We will need to wine and dine them and make them feel important. I know the power of the press, I spent a lot of my working life in that world.
We can't afford to advertise on tv but surely we can cultivate a good relationship with some journos.
We have been left behind, out of sight, out of mind.
Oh, would be shonks please step forward, seems we need you.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

A wise person simplifies the complicated, a fool complicates the simple.
Go to Top of Page

GD66

Western Australia

390 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  10:49:40 AM  Show Profile Send GD66 a Private Message  

They're here already John, and currently running two opposed national series in a country that can barely support one...
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  2:27:29 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Yes Glenn, I overlooked that tragic situation.
It certainly says something about our intelligence but I suppose that any attempt to stop such stupidity would contravene the restrictive trade practices law.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2010 :  8:28:32 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

In October 2009 we had an open book for July 2010 other than the noise free weekend that we can move around. We offered every weekend other than 3 & 4 for the ASBK event but no they wanted the first weekend in July..... we did not know at that time that Eastern Creek had a confirmed booking for the AFXC series.
We lost out big time but at least this weekend I was able to prune about 120 roses - some of the cuts were really meant for the architect of the stupidity that occured.
No more rants they may read this and give me a DCM tomorrow!

Edited by - Patrick on 11 Jul 2010 8:36:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  10:04:15 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Patrick, it's the lack of coordination of resources that I'm on about. Winton Motorcycle club has an issue in a completely different area. It's about the way the committees work in our controlling bodies. We are willing and able to run 0pen MX meetings, but the petty jeal0usies get in the way. There needs t be som0ne in the cnt0rlling bdies with a firm view 0f the big picture - a bit 0f f0cus -s0 t0 speak!
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  10:12:37 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

I suugest we need to think a bit differently. I note that this year's championships are to be held at Phillip Island. Perhaps we'd do better to use two permanent venues - Phillip Island and Bathurst, and find a three day weekend such as easter to run the championships on rotation each year. MA could call on promoters to tender for the opportunity to run the meetings. Then we might get TV coverage?
Go to Top of Page

john feakes
Advanced Member

Victoria

791 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  2:14:22 PM  Show Profile Send john feakes a Private Message  

Why is common sense so rare?
I don't know how we can overcome the willy nilly way things are currently organised as there seems to be no sense of direction in anything we do.
The more I think about it the more my brain hurts.
Perhaps we need a benevolent dictator to direct things.

125 RIDERS' ALLIANCE

Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2010 :  9:13:06 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by glen20

Patrick, it's the lack of coordination of resources that I'm on about. Winton Motorcycle club has an issue in a completely different area. It's about the way the committees work in our controlling bodies. We are willing and able to run 0pen MX meetings, but the petty jeal0usies get in the way. There needs t be som0ne in the cnt0rlling bdies with a firm view 0f the big picture - a bit 0f f0cus -s0 t0 speak!

If it is for MX talk to Rob Mestrom 0417545912
For Interclub talk to Jan Higgins 03 5148 2876
Go to Top of Page

Alan Cotterell
In a time out state

Victoria

421 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2010 :  10:15:02 AM  Show Profile Send glen20 a Private Message  

Patrick, I'll phone you some time and explain about the MX.
Go to Top of Page

Patrick
Level 3 Member

Victoria

314 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2010 :  8:40:59 PM  Show Profile Send Patrick a Private Message  

quote:
Originally posted by glen20

Patrick, I'll phone you some time and explain about the MX.

That will be OK Alan.
When Winton started to build their MX track someone asked me what I thought about the possible conflict with Broadford.
My reply was that to have a corridor of MX tracks up the Hume Highway would be very good for the code and would help the sport grow eg Broadmeadows, Broadford, Seymour, Winton and beyond.
Looks like we will have Round 1 of the MX World Titles in May - sorry for the Hi-jack!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Motorcycling Australia Forums © 2000 - 2024 Go To Top Of Page
This page was put together in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Copyright © 2000 - 2024 by Classic Motorcycling Australia | Web design by: Greening Computer Services